What's new

Witch Hazel/homemade ASB questions

I know that most people here are big Thayers fans, and most people dislike Dickinsons. But has anyone heard of or used Humphreys brand witch hazel?

I've seen it in a couple of local Walgreens and I'm looking for a cheap WH base for some new ASB concoctions I'm thinking of making.

Thinking of a combo of Pinaud/Clubman bay rum, rosehip oil, witch hazel, and aloe (if the wh doesn't already contain it) and maybe some glycerin. Thought clubman would be a good first try since the scent is so strong (needs lightened up a big according to SWMBO) and could use a little taming down from a "burn" perspective.

I was also thinking of taking the same mix sans the bay rum and adding other EOs to make some custom ASBs.

~Joshua

Joshua.....

I too love to blend my own concoctions.
My basic AS is a 2:1 blend of Witch Hazel to Aloe gel w/ a cuppa drops of Melaleuca Oil added.
From this base I add EO's and assorted balms and creams to make all kinds of good stuff.
I have always had good luck with the cheap generic Witch Hazel found at my local CVS store (similar to Walgreens, if you dont know CVS).
Good luck to you !! :cool:

Joshua.....

I too love to blend my own concoctions.
My basic AS is a 2:1 blend of Witch Hazel to Aloe gel w/ a cuppa drops of Melaleuca Oil added. From this base I add EO's and assorted balms and creams to make all kinds of good stuff. I have always had good luck with the cheap generic Witch Hazel found at my local CVS store (similar to Walgreens, if you dont know CVS). Good luck to you !! :cool:

Rick, this sounds like something I'd like to try. Where to you buy your essential oils and whatnot.

Thanks

You can try here;

http://www.tayloredconcepts.com/

They're local and right down the street for me. I bought some containers there and a 2 oz bottle of tea tree for just over $3. Compared to $7/$9 at a nutrition/whole foods store it's a bargain.

However, I'm not seeing the option to order 2oz bottles online.

~Joshua

CoolBreeze:

I have purchased oils from MamaBear in the past....not sure if she still does this or not.
I am a regular customer of www.melaleuca.com and get my tea tree oil from them. They offer several types.
Just found some Olbas oil a cuppa weeks ago at a store called "The Vitamin Shoppe". Not sure if they're a chain or not.
If you google for oils you should be able to find some vendors online.
Good Luck. :thumbup1:

CoolBreeze:

I have purchased oils from MamaBear in the past....not sure if she still does this or not.
I am a regular customer of www.melaleuca.com and get my tea tree oil from them. They offer several types.
Just found some Olbas oil a cuppa weeks ago at a store called "The Vitamin Shoppe". Not sure if they're a chain or not.

Vitamin Shoppe is online; they're a chain. Oddly enough, they have a store right near my Grandmother's house sort of in the Woodbridge, NJ area.

You can try here;

http://www.tayloredconcepts.com/

They're local and right down the street for me. I bought some containers there and a 2 oz bottle of tea tree for just over $3. Compared to $7/$9 at a nutrition/whole foods store it's a bargain.

However, I'm not seeing the option to order 2oz bottles online.

~Joshua

Of the places mentioned to purchase essential oils, I think talyoredconcepts is the best bet. They have plenty to choose from. It's hardly worth purchasing just one available oil considering the cost of shipping. Taylored pricing is for 16 oz. but I gather that one can call for smaller amounts. Was your 2oz bottle a sample? There's a lot of oils listed, which ones would you recommend to use with witch oil? (I already bought a bottle of that at CVS... terrible smelling stuff:biggrin1:

Taylored pricing is for 16 oz. but I gather that one can call for smaller amounts.

Mine wasn't a sample. When I bought mine it was in person and they handed me a sheet similar to what they'd published online, but it had prices for 2 oz bottles as well. btw, they also sell bottles (plastic and glass) and tubs for your at home concoctions. Best prices I've found, even online. My 2 oz bottle of tea tree came in a classy little brown glass bottle. No dropper though, that would've been nice.

I do know that there are certain oils they won't ship, and what they will or won't is all based on the flash point of the oil (I'm guessing the point at which the oil burns???).

There's a lot of oils listed, which ones would you
recommend to use with witch oil? (I already bought a bottle of that at CVS... terrible smelling stuff:biggrin1:

I assume you mean witch hazel not witch oil? What kind of oil depends on what kind of scent or purpose your looking for. Some true essential oils (not fragrance oils which are man made) have medicinal properties as well, tea tree and lavender to name a couple. If you like the cooling effect you might consider peppermint, wintergreen or spearmint. The blend of lavender/rosemary/peppermint that I mentioned when I began this thread is from another shaving cream I use (eg, Nancy Boy).

I'd give Taylored concepts a call and ask them if they ship 2 oz bottles first. They primarily deal w/candle/soapmakers and those kind of products are usually manufactured in bulk and require a lot of scented oil, hence the 16 oz bottles. And keep in mind that when you get these they will be POTENT. I'd advise adding this stuff slowly and don't get taken aback if you open a bottle and it 1)doesn't smell anything like you expect it to or 2)is super strong. I spent a good 20 mins sampling scents and almost all of them smelled overpowering, or not what I expected them to smell like. Even the "standard" scents like peppermint & lavender.

Lastly, IMO I'd stay away from the fragrance oils. I didn't even consider them so I have no idea if they're cheaper or what, but I'm sure I put enough chemical crap on my face w/all my creams/asbs. The last thing I want is more of that stuff, and I personally prefer the "real" scent of EO.

good luck, let us know if you find any good asb "recipes"

~Joshua

....I assume you mean witch hazel not witch oil?

Yes, that's what I meant.

If you like the cooling effect you might consider peppermint, wintergreen or spearmint. The blend of lavender/rosemary/peppermint that I mentioned when I began this thread is from another shaving cream I use (eg, Nancy Boy).

Peppemint, wintergreen or spearmint sounds great, with summer coming up. Lavender/rosemary/peppermint sounds great too. Thanks for the recommend.

... I'd stay away from the fragrance oils. I didn't even consider them so I have no idea if they're cheaper or what, but I'm sure I put enough chemical crap on my face w/all my creams/asbs. The last thing I want is more of that stuff, and I personally prefer the "real" scent of EO.

Oh, for sure. I agree completely. For starters I've eliminated anything with alcohol in it. I do like the smell of English Leather (yeah, I'm old-school :smile: ) All I can find is a fragrance soap (mama bear's), which I won't buy (not that Sue doesn't make a great product, she certainly does!). For me it's a waste of scratch to pay premium prices for something that disappears shortly after the shave and/ or is covered up by an after shave or cologne. I'm using a .99 bar of Williams. I'm pretty sure it has a fragrance in it, but judging from the fact that it is hardly noticeable, I suspect that the fragrance element is minimal. Anyway I'd sure like to figure out how to make an English Leather scent mix. I suppose if it could be done, it would be on the market.

good luck, let us know if you find any good asb "recipes"
~Joshua

Thanks for your time and input Joshua.

CoolBreeze:

What is "melaleuca" oil? Is it just the name of their brand, or is it a specific plant/herb/whatever and is a true EO?

In other words, is it a blend of other oils or is it an EO on its own? Will I get funny looks (as in "*** are you talking about") if I go to an aromatherapy shop and ask for it?

Sounds like Tea Tree w/out the odor.

Just picked up some rosehip, now it's time to order some EO!

~Joshua

Top Bottom