What's new

Witch Hazel before Aftershave...Astringent or Toner?

Hey folks,

So I'm looking to add Witch Hazel to my post shave routine before my aftershave. When it comes to this is the Astringent type or Toner type better before an aftershave?

Hey folks,

So I'm looking to add Witch Hazel to my post shave routine before my aftershave. When it comes to this is the Astringent type or Toner type better before an aftershave?
Astringent has alcohol, more commonly used for first aid like bug bites, etc. Toner is usually alcohol free or very low alcohol content, intended for use on the face. Witch hazel extract typically contains tannins, which have astringent properties regarless of what is called out on the label.

The aftershave has alcohol, so I go with an alcohol free facial toner. I use Thayers Unscented toner so the scent does not conflict with that of the AS.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Toner? That sounds like a cosmetics term that is very ambiguous. They really want you to take that ambiguous term and apply some good positive feelings of your own around it. Nothing backed in science.

Wholesome, all natural, pure, artisanal, and on and on.

Maybe it opens and closes the pores too ;)

Toner? That sounds like a cosmetics term that is very ambiguous. They really want you to take that ambiguous term and apply some good positive feelings of your own around it. Nothing backed in science.

Wholesome, all natural, pure, artisanal, and on and on.

Maybe it opens and closes the pores too ;)
The term "toner" has meaning to women with their makeup routines. It means something that cleans the face without being so harsh as soap and water. Toner is used to remove makeup, clean the face before bed, etc.

well, imho, to use before aftershave, don't use the astringent. the astringent has alcohol, which is duplicative with most aftershaves. i'd suggest any of the other regular, soothing witch hazels. but you can so easily experiment and see what works best for your own skin!!

witch hazels.jpg

Most likely you'll want to use the Toner version. But it depends on:

1. what you want the witch hazel to do
  2. other elements of your shave routine
  3. what AS you use (some aftershaves have witch hazel in them, most likely the astringent variety)
  4. skin type (dry, sensitive, or oily)

Do you use alum? That's an astringent, so a witch hazel astringent would be duplicating that step. If so, you'd want an alcohol-free toner witch hazel like Thayer's. Toner is more hydrating than astringent.

If you use AS that has alcohol as its first ingredient, or you have dry/sensitive skin, you probably want the toner as well.

Most likely you'll want to use the Toner version. But it depends on:

1. what you want the witch hazel to do
  2. other elements of your shave routine
  3. what AS you use (some aftershaves have witch hazel in them, most likely the astringent variety)
  4. skin type (dry, sensitive, or oily)

Do you use alum? That's an astringent, so a witch hazel astringent would be duplicating that step. If so, you'd want an alcohol-free toner witch hazel like Thayer's. Toner is more hydrating than astringent.

If you use AS that has alcohol as its first ingredient, or you have dry/sensitive skin, you probably want the toner as well.
This is exactly the info I was looking for. I'll be going with the unscented Thayer's.

A toner is a water-based solution (generally alcohol-free) that uses humectants to keep the moisture in the upper layers of the skin to prevent skin dehydration. An astringent is a water-based solution that, when applied to the skin, is meant to shrink or constrict the skin. It is a stronger form of a toner and is formulated with SD Alcohol or Denatured Alcohol that gives the skin a tight feeling.

If you have dry or average skin, toner usually is recommended by dermatologists. If you have oily skin, then the astringent may be for you.

The aftershave has alcohol, so I go with an alcohol free facial toner. I use Thayers Unscented toner so the scent does not conflict with that of the AS.

Same here. I replaced alum in my routine with Thayers unscented toner. It’s also great as a base for homemade aftershave.

I like the Thayers astringent version.

I also use it to cut my aftershaves. I go 50% Thayers Astringent, and 50% aftershave usually. Works great for me.

I've always chosen "Astringent" when buying Thayers. The additional SD alcohol should provide similar post shave benefits to a good aftershave splash (with less burn & without the scent that you can find by using a EDT/Cologne). Thayers Astringent followed by a moisturizing balm is always a nice combination IMO (YMMV).

Last edited:
I use a generic witch hazel that has alcohol, nuthin fancy and my face feels great. Aftershave after. I never knew there was a difference.

Top Bottom