What's new

Witch hazel and alum

I use what I think is a generic alum block calle Gentleman Jon every shave, I really like what it does. To me it feels like the shave is all sealed up.

When I use it, I buy generic no name witchhazel from the drugstore. Just 100% witchhazel. I used to use Dickinson's but didn't see much benefit over the generic. One time I mixed some osage rub and witchhazel like 1 part Osage and 10 parts witchhazel. I see brands like Thayers that have aloe and some fragrence.

So my questions are:
Are all alum blocks equal? They're just pure alum, right? Does it make any difference which one I use?

How about witchhazel, are they pretty much all the same essentially?

What purposes do each serve? I know alum seals up nics but beyond that, don't alum and witchhazel serve the same purpose?

Thanks

Are all alum blocks equal? They're just pure alum, right? Does it make any difference which one I use?
No. There is Osma, and then there is the rest. :cool:

How about witchhazel, are they pretty much all the same essentially?

I have tried a couple, including Thayers, but I prefer the standard essential witch hazel you buy at health food stores.

As for use, alum deals to any skin irritation, whilst witch hazel is similar but has some therapeutic properties. You can use both, or just the witch hazel. Generally, you rinse the alum off after a minute or two, while you leave the witch hazel to soak in to your skin.

As astringents, my take is that witch hazel and potassium alum do serve the same purpose, to calm and heal the skin after the "irritation" of shaving.

As for whether or not they are equal, I am of the opinion that they are not. My preference as to an alum block is for Osma's. Out of the box, it is fairly smooth upon the first application, whereas others can be rough upon the initial applications. Also, it is relatively transparent and appears to be cut from a solid piece of alum, rather than compressed from little bits to artificially form the block. My experience is that the clearer, more transparent pieces of cut alum are better than the cloudy, compressed pieces of alum particles. Witch hazel is similar, but in the opposite way regarding transparency. While I like the Thayers's line of witch hazels, the "Original" with alcohol and aloe vera especially, there is a reason why witch hazel is called "lait de hamamélis" in French: pharmaceutical grade witch hazel is slightly opaque or milky in appearance. It also has a mildly pungent, smoky scent.

Personally, I will use one or the other, witch hazel or an alum block, never both as they are serving the same astringent function. A witch-hazel solution I will apply after rinsing off my face after shaving; and I will normally leave it like that, no after-shave. The alum block, I will apply after shaving, then rinse it off and apply an after-shave or balm afterwards. If a shave has been particularly harsh, I will opt for a witch hazel rather than use an alum block and after-shave combination. Less continued masochism that way. ;-)

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
Potassium alum, all the same. I bought a 2kg bag from a restaurant supplier 5 years ago, still on the first block. Although I only touch it if I get weepers, no need otherwise.

Witch hazel? I think the rest of the ingredients matter, I found Thayers too oily...

Thayers is too expensive. I found that Dickens works fine, although a year ago I bought LuckyTiger aftershave and face tonic, which works remarkably well. I apply alum after shaving and bought one of those crystal Osma alum deo sticks. Excellent stuff.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have used both Alum and witch hazel but now I use mainly Dickinson's witch hazel with 14% alcohol works best for my shaving needs.
Alum is a potassium salt and that is what makes your skin tingle when minor abrasions occur, I usually rinse off after 30-60 seconds when using it. Alum has been used for thousands of years for cleaning and sealing minor wounds.

I began using our local Dollar Tree's Witch Hazel product a few months ago. Their $1.25 (USD) bottle works as well as Thayer's or Dickinson's in my opinion.
dollar general and Big lots also have discount witch hazel and even though its slightly more ( I paid 2 dollars) for a bottle it is twice the size of dollar trees...... I have used dollar trees also....

I use what I think is a generic alum block calle Gentleman Jon every shave, I really like what it does. To me it feels like the shave is all sealed up.
I use the same, is good stuff, not only for minor cuts and nick, but is also a good feedback for areas where the shave was a bit aggressive.

I haven't tried the osma so I don't know the difference but Gentleman Jon’s seems a solid product.

I tried witch hazel in the past but I prefer scented aftershaves since they also have alcohol for the disinfecting properties. When I feel my face needs something extra I use Lucky Tiger, very good stuff, or aftershave balm for those cold/dry/dusty days.

While I’ve been nothing but pleased with my Proraso alum bar, Osma just seems to work a touch better. The block from the get go is completely smoothed and feels more compressed. Dunno

Try using the WH to remove the residual alum after rinsing. At least that’s what I do if I can’t shower after a shave …

what does anyone think are attributes of one alum working better than another?

i just bought and used alum for the first time tonight. It’s a Gentleman Job block from Amazon. it wasn’t particularly tingly despite some weepers. I don’t know whether or not the stinginess is indicative of anything but my Clubman styptic pencil stings more, but quickly clotted the cuts.

what does anyone think are attributes of one alum working better than another?

i just bought and used alum for the first time tonight. It’s a Gentleman Job block from Amazon. it wasn’t particularly tingly despite some weepers. I don’t know whether or not the stinginess is indicative of anything but my Clubman styptic pencil stings more, but quickly clotted the cuts.
Screenshot_20230322-223058_Gallery.jpg

This is one of the main reasons I started this thread. I bought the block you have if it's the one pictured. This is what I've learned. The block we have is pressed alum, not a single piece. This is why it's cloudy. Though it's smoothing, it's not really. My block dropped and a little more than a third was pieces like rock salt. I'm still using it because I part of a couple challenges (Monthly GRUME and yearly GRUYERE) to curb my addiction of just buying everything. I would suggest but don't have one, put your block away as a backup and get that Osma block. It is overwhelmingly the best per what guys say.

Maybe others can chime in and post some pics if their Osma blocks and share their experience. I bet someone has one they've been using for years.

As far as the styptic pencil, my experience is the same as you, it's got a much stronger burn. My theory is that its piwdered and pressed causing a much stronger. Kind of like ground or micro ground salt. So imagine pouring some if that in a cut and holding a big piece, it absorbs right in. The guys can help on this one too.

As far as the differences between alum and witchhazel, I can't remember the answer but I'll go back and read the thread. I use alum %95 of the time.

This is just my personal experience.

Top Bottom