What's new

Witch hazel and alum

I looked up the Osma block. There are several sizes and frankly, they look identical to my Gentleman Jon block in that they're a cloudy, translucent block.

Is there a specific Osma block offering that is the darling of the group?

Last edited:
I looked up the Osma block. There are several sizes and frankly, they look identical to my Gentleman Jon block in that they're a cloudy, translucent block.

Is there a specific Osma block offering that is the darling of the group?
Here is the one I use:

Here is my 3 month used Bloc Osma. It is a monolithic cut block of alum, in a large enough slab it could be used as a countertop for your kitchen island...not really, but you can see the striations, fissures, and veins typical of natural rock formations like Carrera marble. Other alum blocks are made from reconstituted alum dust and particles and will have a more consistent appearance. This is the best $10 I have spent on shaving wares.

IMG_7398.jpg

Last edited:
When ever I do use alum. It’s the WCS travel alum. A little drying and witch hazel doesn’t do much. Don’t really get much weepers, now. More of a change of pace shaving now.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I use both after every shave. The Thayers I use is more of a habit. I don’t know that it really has a positive effect. I use an alum block to test how aggravated my shave was to my face. If the alum feedback is low or close to none with a close shave I call that a successful shave. I have found that neither Thayers or the alum block helps my weepers when I have them.

I do know that powdered alum in a punch bowl makes it difficult to bid in a game of bridge.
That was in a three stooges episode. Until I joined B&B I never made the connection.

@Calyshaver gave the perfect answer a few posts above. Other brands disintegrate quickly. The only reason I’ve ever had to replace an Osama block is because I dropped it onto the counter. I recently smashed one that was easily more than five years old and in perfect condition.
Thanks. FWIW, I have a Gentleman Jon and a Razorock. Both feel about the same and have the same tightening effect on my skin. Neither shows any sign of disintegrating or flaking. Am I missing something by not using the Osma?

@silverlifter
@Alum of Potash
@Roman Totale XVII
@ChriWilson
@Calyshaver
@Fred D

I had to replace the Gentleman Jon block as it finally just crumbled (wore down to a little larger than a quarter). The larger remaining piece was a jagged dime size piece so I just could not tolerate it.

I ordered this Osma block. I agree with those guys above that the Osma is far superior. I hope it lasts 5 years as mentioned (provided I don't shatter the new Osma blick).

The surfaces are definitely smoother, it does appear to be a monolithic piece as mentioned above. It was as smooth as glass and felt great. The Gentleman Jon though worked fine until I dropped and broke it is not nearly as smooth. Also, the Gentleman Jon seems like it 'melts' faster. I look forward to using the Osma for a long time. Granted in either case, the cost is not much, my opinion is that it is superior.

20230525_070028.jpg

This top pic is the block wetted down. It's not crushed pieces like Gentleman Jon.

20230525_074642.jpg

This one is in a nice travel case which is what caught my eye. Hands down, to me at least the Osma is superior.

I do have the 100g in plastic for my travel kit; packed for this week upcoming, coincidentally.
My daily use is the 75g, which I've always found odd that the 75g is not the travel size and the 100g the norm...

I went with the Proraso Alum first and went with an additional Osma Bloc because the Proraso came pitted and eventually began to hollow out.

I do have the 100g in plastic for my travel kit; packed for this week upcoming, coincidentally.
My daily use is the 75g, which I've always found odd that the 75g is not the travel size and the 100g the norm...

I went with the Proraso Alum first and went with an additional Osma Bloc because the Proraso came pitted and eventually began to hollow out.
Yes, I noticed that too on the 75g vs 100g. Funny stuff😅

Top Bottom