What's new

Wish you had known, bad purchases.

No real regrets as any new purchase will answer the YMMV question, which in itself is a positive thing.

Big blade letdowns were the Bics and Wilkinson Swords. I might have gotten bum tucks of both, but have zero interest in trying them again.

Big soap/cream letdowns are the LaToja stick and Cella tub. I loved the smell and performance but unfortunately they did not agree with my skin.

Arko, well I knew what I was getting into…and now away from!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Kiehl's Lite Flite Shave Cream For The Brush with menthol, camphor and lavender.

No trace of menthol, camphor or lavender, unlatherable by any method, and goops up your brush like oily cold cream.
In fact, Noxema is a pretty good match, but it smells better.

It's the only product I remember ever throwing in the trash.

I bought one of those mystery slates that were all the rage with certain youtube honers...this was before I found B&B...mine wasn't awful but it wasn't worth what I paid and I have no use for it these days. It hasn't seen a razor in quite some time. Around the same time I also bought one of those amazon 3k/8k combos...that actually got pitched. I did keep the bamboo holder though.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I forgot one more. Bulldog shaving soap. Disappeared on my face quicker than rats up a drain pipe and had a weird smell. I couldn't even use it in the shower. Total waste of money, although I did keep the nice bamboo bowl it came in so maybe not a total waste.

The only regret I have about shaving items is not getting into DEs and straights sooner, all those wasted years buying cartridges (in bulk I may add, Sam’s club has 20 or so cartridge packs. I thought I was saving money😂)

After that, no regrets whatsoever! C5C03731-AAEC-454A-BEFA-70E2E2455208.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
OK.... I really only have one true regret.. I bought a Maggard 70/30 mixed fiber (badger/boar) knot set in one of their inexpensive handles... the knot was on sale. Try as I might, I couldn't get that brush to stop poking me. I put it through well over two dozen wet/dry cycles... used it several times. It didn't change... at all. I finally threw it away. I didn't feel comfortable gifting it to anyone since it was so annoying. I know @Chan Eil Whiskers has tried to get his to improve and I think it has... but I have so many excellent brushes, even after selling off 5 or 6 and PIFfing a couple, it wasn't worth the hassle. Add to that, at that time, I had two SOC Mistura brushes (Taj and Butterscotch) that I just loved.. so the mixed hair brushes were covered.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
OK.... I really only have one true regret.. I bought a Maggard 70/30 mixed fiber (badger/boar) knot set in one of their inexpensive handles... the knot was on sale. Try as I might, I couldn't get that brush to stop poking me. I put it through well over two dozen wet/dry cycles... used it several times. It didn't change... at all. I finally threw it away. I didn't feel comfortable gifting it to anyone since it was so annoying. I know @Chan Eil Whiskers has tried to get his to improve and I think it has... but I have so many excellent brushes, even after selling off 5 or 6 and PIFfing a couple, it wasn't worth the hassle. Add to that, at that time, I had two SOC Mistura brushes (Taj and Butterscotch) that I just loved.. so the mixed hair brushes were covered.

Mine has broken in some I'd say but nowhere near enough.

12-5-20.70:30.Damp.InStand.Bristle.640.JPG

The Maggard 70/30 has been a great disappointment. After a great many (over a hundred I think) dry to wet to dry cycles the knot is not satisfactory. I've given up on it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom