What's new

Wisdom of Angle and Pressure

Angle and pressure, angle and pressure. If you have been a member here long enough you have read those words of advice a thousand times. I learned the wisdom of angle and and pressure the hard way several months ago when I was very new to this style of shaving. Since then I have continually improved my technique and reduced my irritation level to zero or pretty close to it. I have even gotten 25 shaves on an Astra SP and joined the Excalibur Club! But I learned something this morning that made me realize that I still have much to learn.

I am required to shave for work and I shave six days a week. I typically skip Sunday's as I did yesterday. I don't have a Sasquatch beard but when I skip a day it is very noticeable. It was a beautiful sunny day in Mid-Michigan yesterday and the family spent the afternoon picnicking in the yard. Since this was the first truly beautiful day I have spent outside in months, the thought of dusting off the bottle of sunscreen never even entered my mind. Needless to say, later that evening my face looked like a lobster right out of the pot. My face burned and hurt and I thought "OH NO, I have to shave in the morning for work!" I can't skip another day and I have a meeting later this afternoon.

I did my normal prep of lukewarm shower, sensitive skin face wash, leave my face wet all the way to the sink. I lathered up and as I'm putting blade to face all I could think was that this is not going to end well. I knew that angle and pressure would be more important today than ever. I decided to use even less pressure if that were even possible, just the weight of the razor and even try to use a little negative pressure. I was looking to not add to my irritation and if that meant a shave that was not as close as normal then so be it.

First pass WTG, rinse, relather, second pass ATG, rinse (I decided not to do three passes to keep the irritation as low as possible). During the rinses and relather I didn't even pay attention to how close or not close my shave was, I really didn't care. I just wanted to be presentable for my meeting. I skipped the alcohol based a/s and went straight for the sensitive skin balm. As I'm rubbing it in I noticed something. I HAVE NO STUBBLE! I just gave myself as good a shave as I have ever had. The only thing that was different is that I really, really, and I mean really made the effort to ensure no pressure. Not only was it as close a shave as I have ever had, I did not add one bit to my already irritated face.

Thank you to my B&B brothers. Your wisdom has saved yet another face.

I tried to be first here, but fordfather beat me to it.
Sorry, Bill. I just had to comment on DV's revelation. A great shave instills a feeling of confidence, a reaffirmation of manliness, so to speak. It sets a man's compass for the journey that lies ahead! The post reminded me of all my great shaves!

Great Discovery!
What is said here is often true, though not always accepted.

Indeed. People are so quick to rush to "It's the blade! It's the Razor! It's my tough steel beard with sensitive skin! It's too mild! It's too aggressive!"

Assuming good lather, sharp blade and aligned razor......it's really angle and pressure.
:w00t:

Sorry, Bill. I just had to comment on DV's revelation. A great shave instills a feeling of confidence, a reaffirmation of manliness, so to speak. It sets a man's compass for the journey that lies ahead! The post reminded me of all my great shaves!

Gawds this is all so sappy....but so dang true!

Now if I could regularly get the message to my face and hands with a shavette as I often do with my DE...

Congrats DV!

Nothing beats a great revelation! I was thinking about my 3+ year learning curve recently. It is all about the technique. We love to talk razors, blades, brushes, soaps, etc. All that is great but for me hardware and software is maybe 20% of the shave. The rest is all bout angle and pressure management. You just can't really teach or talk about that, it must be individually discovered!

$b7478fde.jpg
Glad you found the touch. The hardest part is always keeping it. I'm a head shaver, and my sweet spot is a lot smaller, so I've only been able to manage comfortable BBS ATG shaves a couple of times in my 10 months with the DE. I hope your new revelation continues to serve you well.

If you think of a circle, starting at skin. Next piece is beard, next is lather, then blade and razor. Then fingers, hand, down the arm, round the elbow and up to the shoulder, through the neck, into brain and connected to face by optic nerve and nerves in skin.

We concentrate way too much on those 2 bits of metal and ignore 95% of the circle. Too often that 95% gets dismissed as YMMV.

I'm sure there is an analogy in golf, but darned if I can think of it. Please excuse me while I go get the new UltraMaxExtremeTurboV7.0 balls from Nike. I'm positive they will improve my score no end!

Thank you all for the encouragement and your added thoughts. This post has brought out into the open some very good advice on the importance of technique. Just for follow up purposes, 12 hours later and I am still irritation free.

Top Bottom