What's new

Wipe or shake?

I leave the blade in the razor, rinse well then shake.

+1000

everything else is useless OCD overkill....

personally I don't even shake but I blow on the gap between the blade and the razor head after rinsing (and I am sure that even that is useless overkill ).

Wipe daily because scum and limescale build up is a pain in the neck. My blades last 7 shaves or more and wiping does not seem to affect them.

I'm such an OCD nerd that i disassemble my ATT razor after each shave and take the blade out and pat it dry and dip the blade in special alcohol and hand dry all razor parts, so they don't freaking rust on me, again.

After rinsing, I just shake the razor a couple times and set it down to dry the rest of the way. I get a few months from a blade with no degradation from leaving a little moisture on them.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
A couple shakes and I put it away dry or not. But you can do whatever you are most comfortable doing. There is no right answer to the question.

They put "do not wipe" on the blades because they are coated with something they don't want you to wipe off. And because it's simply safer not to wipe the sharp edge.

dip a few times in 90% iso and let it rapidly air dry in a stand or test tube rack
shaking, like tapping on the sink, can result in nasty mechanical deformations

Removing blades, wiping, drying, alcohol dips, wha....?

For the past 40 years I shave, give the razor a shake, set it down, and go about my day. I've never removed a blade until it's dull. What's this about stainless razors rusting? Some of y'all must have that fancy new tap water that catches on fire.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I loosen the handle like esox and stand the razor on its side to drain or dry and haven't had any issues. I had tea staining when I was leaving a ATT razor standing up in a stand. Sometimes after loosing it up I'll blow air through the head. Probably unnecessary or a bad idea.
Yes, the blowing part was a bad idea for me. Cut my lip!! But since I'm a real man, I still do the blow dry thing occasionally. What a tough guy I am!

New to the forum. I learned something already.

As an old guy who can't do much anymore other than shave myself, I started with carbon steel blades.

That means I developed the habit of wiping my blades down with a towel.

That habit continued........until today.

Since I normally shake a bit anyway...........:)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
New to the forum. I learned something already.

As an old guy who can't do much anymore other than shave myself, I started with carbon steel blades.

That means I developed the habit of wiping my blades down with a towel.

That habit continued........until today.

Since I normally shake a bit anyway...........:)
Welcome to the club! It's funny you resurrected this thread, as I was just thinking of the time I cut my lip blowing on a blade.

I too am happy to be able to shave myself. Today just happens to be one of those days that proves to me that my cardiologist was correct about me retiring, sigh.

I always wipe the blade and the razor down with a dry cloth, the kind that comes with a new pair of glasses. I'm sure it's tremendous overkill but I do it out of respect for the tools.

Stainless: rinse then lay on top of a towel, flip then back in the razor
Carbon: rinse then a complete dip in rubbing alcohol then set on top of a piece of paper towel to dry.

Well, the wrapper on my GSBs says "Do not wipe" so I just rinse the razor off when I'm done, give it a little shake, and let it rest on the sink. Seems to work out OK.

Top Bottom