What's new

Wipe or shake?

I keep reading threads about those that remove their blade after every shave and rinse then wipe down the blade. Every blade I have reads do not wipe, shake dry. So which is correct? I even know some who will dry the blade with a hair drier.

I just shake when I'm done.

The exception is when I'm using carbon blades. Not drying them off thoroughly is a recipe for near instant rust.

I shave my blades to get a majority of the water off then pat dry between two layers of towel. I then allow to air dry on an alum block box.

I have in the past pat dried and then placed on an empty soap dish to finish air drying.

Though lately I have stopped doing that and just leave it in the razor to dry.

Last edited:
I remove the blade from the razor, rinse well under the cold tap at full pressure then blow hard to get rid of any surface water residue.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I give the razor two shakes and dry the outside of the razor. I don't touch the blade until it needs to be replaced. Never had a spot of rust or any other problems, and I store the razor inside the medicine cabinet.

Stainless bladed do not need to have special handling. Carbon blades MUST be dried between uses or the edge will rust after the teflon wears off.

I rinse my razors and shake the water off, then put them on the rack. Since I just got shave #82 on a German Wilkinson today, I thin that's quiet adequate. Haven't had that blade out of the razor since January when I put it in.

After each shave I take the blade to a climate control storage facility 2 miles from my house. The next day I go back to the facility get the blade go home shave then repeat the routine. Now I get 3 shaves per blade. Is this Overkill??

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

The headline of this reminds me of my daughter starting toilet training for my grandson. My son in law and I were both trying to explain how men pee for her. As for razors, a shake is all I give it.

After each shave I take the blade to a climate control storage facility 2 miles from my house. The next day I go back to the facility get the blade go home shave then repeat the routine. Now I get 3 shaves per blade. Is this Overkill??

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
Sounds reasonable to me. :001_rolle

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I dont wipe blades. I've cut myself once and would rather not repeat that lol.

I loosen the handle, rinse under hot water and stand on its side. Next shave I flip the blade and carry on. I did use to rinse in alcohol, but found no difference. With a Mach 3 however an alcohol soak does seem to help keep the blades sharper longer. They need all the help they can get.

I dry the blade and razor every time but I am different as I only use a DE/SE on Old Spice Sundays so it's not a big deal, I use a straight the other 6 days

Yes, overkill. Sell your house and move into a climate-control facility! You'll save on gas and get 3.5 shaves per blade. No-brainer!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I loosen the handle like esox and stand the razor on its side to drain or dry and haven't had any issues. I had tea staining when I was leaving a ATT razor standing up in a stand. Sometimes after loosing it up I'll blow air through the head. Probably unnecessary or a bad idea.

Top Bottom