What's new

Winter sports advice

I just had my first snowboarding encounter two days ago. I loved it. I never thought I would enjoy snowboarding. My husband has been doing this for 15 years plus but lets face it, I am not going to take advice from him. :lol:
I was not happy with the cost of rental equipment or the helpfulness of the staff. With that being said I want my own equipment. Does anyone have suggestions on how to go about purchasing a snowboard and bindings? How do you know the correct size or appropriate board to buy? I am thinking craigslist for now and buying used until I am sure I want to hang with it. I have to get over the bruised tail first.

There is a general rule for snowboard sizing...This rule says that if you stand your board up, that your board tip should be between your nose and your chin.

This is just a general rule that works for mostly taller thinner riders...It does NOT take into account your abilities or the type of riding you plan to do... But its a start.

This is a guide I found online. Should help you a bit with sizing and terminology.
http://www.modernskate.com/modernskate/dept.asp?dept_id=702

I think you should goto a local ski shop or a sporting good store like Dicks to get sized up. You probably want an All Mountain board(unless you plan on doing alot of tricks then you would choose a freestyle board)and the staff can help you get some ideas.

I personally think Burton makes some of the best equipment and my next board will most likely be a Burton Custom...but I would also checkout:Never Summer, Lib Tech, Nitro, Rome, K2, Ride.

There is a general rule for snowboard sizing...This rule says that if you stand your board up, that your board tip should be between your nose and your chin.

This is just a general rule that works for mostly taller thinner riders...It does NOT take into account your abilities or the type of riding you plan to do... But its a start.

This is a guide I found online. Should help you a bit with sizing and terminology.
http://www.modernskate.com/modernskate/dept.asp?dept_id=702

I think you should goto a local ski shop or a sporting good store like Dicks to get sized up. You probably want an All Mountain board(unless you plan on doing alot of tricks then you would choose a freestyle board)and the staff can help you get some ideas.

I personally think Burton makes some of the best equipment and my next board will most likely be a Burton Custom...but I would also checkout:Never Summer, Lib Tech, Nitro, Rome, K2, Ride.

Tricks, LOL, My trick is to stay off my rear. Tall, maybe compared to some women, I am 5'7 and average/athletic bulid. (usually) :lol:

Start by getting properly fitted for boots. People think that because snowboard boots are so comfortable that they can just pop any pair on and crank the laces tight. Actually, because you have motion in so many different directions it's important that your heels stay locked firmly in place and you toes don't jam or curl up. Now, the BEAUTY of snowboard boots is that, unlike ski boots, you can get all this AND not be crying from foot pain.

Bindings are easy, that's more about sizing than anything - most bindings are more or less the same until you hit the higher levels, so as long as they're the right size for your boots you should be OK. The more adjustments there are, the more fun you can have fiddling around with different settings and the more expensive they'll be. The only thing you absolutely must avoid is plastic cups around your heel - that's where your foot motions are transferred to the board, and plastic is not responsive enough/prone to breaking. Metal or carbon fibre is much better.

Snowboards are harder to pick, because there's so many options. A beginner needs an all-mountain board, nothing too fancy - you can get powder boards and spring skiing boards, etc., when you get good enough to know the difference. Sizing is tricky, that's where you need to get hands on advice from your ski tech. Longer boards go faster but are harder to control, shorter boards turn easier but get bogged down in deeper snow.

And for god's sake wear a helmet! I would literally not be alive today were it not for my helmet - skiiers fall and roll, but snowboarders fall head first into the ground.

I agree that the boots are super important. I've both been renting and also had a fairly short and soft board for learning to snowboard. Rental boots were horrible as they didn't grip my heels enough to give me control of the board. I managed to find a pair that fit me perfectly and after that everything went soooo much smoother.

I can strongly recommend a helmet too. Almost everyone in Europe wears one now and I've seen guys that was saved from getting their skulls cracked open by one (and they didn't do anything wrong, they got hit by other people). I actually wore a back protector as well, the kind you use when riding a motorcycle. Felt good to know that it probably shouldn't hurt that much when I fell so I dared try more things and learned faster.

Depending on how quick you learn, you might want to try a shorter board then normally recommended first. I found that way easier to control and think it's easier to transfer the skills you build up on that to a bigger board later on. Or you just learn the correct sized board from start ... either probably works :001_smile

Thanks for all of the info. Very helpful. I do not think I noticed even one person on a board with a helmet. I did not even think to bring one. They thought it was no big deal that my 5yr old did not have one. After a few minutes it dawned on me how stupid it was not to have a helmet on.
I went against my rule I tell my kids (never use a hat that does not belong to you) I prayed there were no little bugs :w00t:

For someone just starting out, I'd look at buying a used board from a reputable local shop (If you can). You will save a bit of money.

Top Bottom