What's new

Winter soaps?

Pardon my maybe dumb question here but I haven't gone through a winter wet shaving yet.

Are there "winter" soaps in the same way there are "summer" soaps?

I see a lot of menthol soaps and that is the cooling effect being the summer soaps. I also see "fruity" or some "floral" soaps.

I am currently working through some Stirling soaps, which I couldn't be happier with. I see Stirling is selling off some "summer" soaps so that leads me to believe this winter soap thing may be true.

If so, what type of scents does a person find in the summer?

Thanks

KM

@Screeby Great question but what are the traditional seasonal and holiday scent patterns for the entire year ? I Wonder how much agreement there will be among members. Maybe it will depend on the country or relative weather as Australia definitely warmer than the UK as is Atlanta compared to Toronto

What have you tried from Stirling?
Gatlinburg and Ben Franklin are a must when the weather starts to get cooler.
Tabac is a must in my fall/winter rotation as well.

I am going through Bay Rum and Mountain man. I have Ben Franklin and barbershop up after them.

I am trying to figure out my next order. In the cart now I have Gatlinburg.

Has anyone tried Coniferous? That seems like a wintery scent.

I also want to sample Shape Dressed Man.

It seems if I try those three I will pick one more of what I like from this round and get some soap and AS samples.

KM

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am a shape dressed man. The older I get the rounder my shape gets!

With apologies to every single one of you poor, poor souls that know me, I must recommend the perfect soap for any season: ARKO!

I traveled 9 hours today in a van, and the high point was this: all the rest areas in the U.P. and northern Wisconsin must use Arko scented air freshener! Lovely! I immediately thought of @les24preludes and his appreciation of high quality scents!

Besides the already mentioned ones, IMHO e.g. also:

- Stirling Haverford
- Stirling Pharao's Dreamsicle
- Proraso red, and a lot of other darker Sandalwood stuff (AOS, Santal Absolute, TOBS ...)
- Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
- RasoZero Barbacco
- almost any almond soap or cream
- Fine L'Orange Noir
- TFS Yellow

and loads of other stuff ...

My taste tends to change with the seasons. During the winter I go for soaps with good skin conditioning properties, for example Haslinger’s schafmilch or MWF. Others may go for a particular scent profile.

PdP No. 63 and L'Occitane Cade are my two favorite winter soaps. Both have excellent moisturizing and great scents. (Cade is the lighter scent of the two). Both are triple milled and last forever so we'll worth the cost.

With this post in mind I remembered I had a new tub if Proraso red soap under the sink. Last night I set it on the counter so there was no way I could forget to use it. Next to it I placed some Clubman Special Reserve.

I used a new Feather blade in my Super Speed. I can't say I like the Proraso better the Stirling soaps at this point. I will use more water next time. My face felt dry after a pass, but besides a couple very minor Nick's I have a great smooth shave.

If can figure out the soap I believe this would qualify as a winter soap/AS combo.

Also, only being at this for about 6 months I have entirely too much "stuff" but I have already started another cart on the Stirling site. What a rabbit hole this "hobby" can be.

KM

Most soaps can be used throughout the year. Soaps that seem to fit better in winter often have woodsy, smoky, tobacco, cognac, or spicy scents reminding you of fallen leaves, fireplaces, Christmas trees, Santa's pipe, etc.

Barrister and Mann came out with their Vespers scent last winter. It is supposed to smell like a winter market. There Reserve Spice is also appropriate for winter.

Chiseled Face Sherlock has notes of tobacco and leather reminiscent of an old study.

Cold River Soap Works Olfactory Hue has notes of oud, sandalwood, cedar, fir and frankincense, perfect for winter. Their Winter scent has notes of pine needles and cranberries.

Henri et Victoria has a wonderful Cognac and Cuban Cigars soap. Although not my best performing soap, I love the scent.

Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations Smoked Black Tea is ideal for cold weather.

Noble Otter Lonestar, Monarch and Two Kings scents are appropriate for winter.

Oleo Soapworks Frankie and Myrna is a frankincense and myrrh accord good for winter use.

Wet Shaving Products released a Christmas Spice scent in their Rustic vegan base. Their Mohogany scent is good for winter. I prefer the Formula T tallow base.

Wholly Kaw King of Oud and King of Bourbon are good all year, but especially in the winter. The "Bourbon" name comes from Bourbon vanilla, not the whiskey.

Basic rule: Weak scented soaps are better for summer, because they linger on your skin for a surprisingly long while. Stronger stuff is better in the winter.

My favorite fall/winter scent:

DG/CL Gratiot League Square — Tobacco, leather, and spices all in one soap. The matching CL aftershave and EdT are also wonderful.

Top Bottom