What's new

Winter Running Shoes

The weather has been lousy in the midwest the last week and I broke out a new pair of running shoes. I know I'm not the only one here who still hits the roads and trails in the winter months.

North Face Ultra Trail GTX

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog...ariationName=DARKSHADOWGREY / METALLIC SILVER

It's a solid shoe in terms of function, but over the past 5-6 runs it's been totally warm and waterproof, everything from sub zero runs, going through 10 inches of snow to this morning running in slush and muck. Toes stayed warm and dry. My runs have ranged from 3 miles to 14 miles in them. The GoreTex in these works quite well and also breathed quite well when I was on trails that had been plowed. 8mm heel to toe drop. The sole also had good traction both on snow and slush as well as a plowed, paved running path. Some trail shoes feel out of place on pavement, this one didn't.

With shoes like this, I know I likely won't be running in them except in terrible weather and keep them for a few years. I have shoes that I prefer to run in more. I'm not giving up my Altras any time soon, but these have worked very well for this particular function.

Anyone have any other good winter shoes?

Last edited:
I picked up a pair of Brooks Cascadia on clearance recently, thinking they may work in snow, but I haven't tried them out yet. My only concern is that they are a true trail running shoe and the mesh may be too open to provide much protection from the cold and snow.

The ones that I really have my eye on are Newton Boco AT's.

Interesting...I usually stick with the same old Saucony Pro Grids...too concerned about stability issues and shin splints to switch

Interesting...I usually stick with the same old Saucony Pro Grids...too concerned about stability issues and shin splints to switch

I think my thread title might be a little misleading, for me pesonally, I really mean a snow shoe. I use my regular shoes when I'm not out there in the snow/slush/water etc. I just find a GoreTex shoe really helps when you actually are going through snow or water. Running shoes inheritly are meant to breathe, let all that heat out, but when it does that it let's all that cold in too. I've been in regular shoes and had my toes freeze in snow or what's the worst is if you hit a patch of ice water, it goes right into your shoes and it takes miles and miles for the heat your body produces to warm your feet back up, if it happens at all.

I think my thread title might be a little misleading, for me pesonally, I really mean a snow shoe. I use my regular shoes when I'm not out there in the snow/slush/water etc. I just find a GoreTex shoe really helps when you actually are going through snow or water. Running shoes inheritly are meant to breathe, let all that heat out, but when it does that it let's all that cold in too. I've been in regular shoes and had my toes freeze in snow or what's the worst is if you hit a patch of ice water, it goes right into your shoes and it takes miles and miles for the heat your body produces to warm your feet back up, if it happens at all.

Aha...more clear now. I don't think I would run in anything but my Sauconys for the aforementioned reasons...and my snow shoes (boots) are Solomons. Never tried like a trail shoe or anything with the properties you describe

I used to have to run in up to -20 temps, slush and nastiness. about 10 steps in, or the first break through the crust, the shoes would freeze. I very quickly got around to just wearing heavy wool socks under seal skins gortex socks. they worked like a champ.

I've always done well with my trusty Air Pegasus's. Those things are beasts. Have run in snow, ice, ect.

Right now I'm running in a pair of asics gel kayano's. Haven't really ran with them in any real snow. Will let you know soon though!

I picked up a pair of Icebug shoes last year on Ebay. I had heard good things about them. I have to say I have done several runs in Michigan winters on icy roads and they are great. The have studs on them and they are like running in a studded winter tire. They are super hard to get here in the states but if you get a chance to get them you won't be disappointed.

Top Bottom