What's new

Winter Hat

I would like your thoughts on an appropriate (functional and stylish) hat to wear during the winter.

The typical weather is rainy, with temperatures a few degrees either side of freezing, -5 to +5 (That is 25 to 40 in some parts). There can also be days with wind.

My typical dress is a black leather jacket, either bomber or 3/4 length. I wear glasses so like a brim to help keep the rain off. Also sweaters, vests, and layered clothing are normal. I am more likely to wear shoes with vibram soles, that are water proof/resistant.

I am presently leaning to the Tilley, possibly the Montana or the one with the technical fabric. Are there others I should look at? Is black the better colour? Other brands might be ok, but I can go to a shop a d try the Tilley to get correct fit.

Cheers.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Bailey’s of Hollywood make some nice fedoras out of “litefelt”. The “fairbanks” is a nice-looking model. Check them out at Roberta’s Hats the next time you are in Victoria.

Bailey’s of Hollywood make some nice fedoras out of “litefelt”. The “fairbanks” is a nice-looking model. Check them out at Roberta’s Hats the next time you are in Victoria.

Thanks. I will look Roberta's Hats up and go in and visit them. I plan to be in Victoria in a couple of weeks. That is when I was going to go into the Tilley Store (whatever it is called now). I really want to put it on my head to get the correct fit, so that precludes mail order.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I don't know how you guys pull off a Fedora ... Curious how you work into your attire.

It goes on the head.

Without:

proxy.php

With:

proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That may work, keep you warm and dry in the studio but how do you keep it on your head in the wind, can you get them with a chin strap?
dave

Chin strap?...Chin strap?...we don't need to stinkin' chin strap!

Flat caps do work better in the wind though. If it starts to blow off, hold it on with your hand.

Stetson Kent - Wool Flat Cap with Earflaps

I have a good wool tweed Newsboy cap, but I'm also looking at one of these.

Tec-Wool Hat | Tilley

It goes on the head.

Without:

proxy.php

With:

proxy.php

Just about anybody can rock a fedora. Tom Landry for those who don't know. Not near like Frankie though.

proxy.php

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
For winter, I've got the choice of a wool blend newsboy cap, a waterproof thinsulate mountain cap (the type with the fold down ear warmer), and a waxed cotton trilby. Weather dictates which I'll wear. Mainly dry but windy - newsboy. Rainy but not windy - waxed trilby. Wet and windy, or biting cold - mountain cap. I also have standard beanies if I'm confident that I won't need to keep rain off my specs.

Thanks for the suggestions. Was in Victoria. At the location that sells Tilley they had little to no stock of the winter hats. Was told that Tilley had been sold to new owners and they were unsure of what they would receive for stock.

Went to Roberta's Hats. There I bought the Bailey of Hollywood Curtis fedora in light felt. The stock there was not too extensive. They had the Curtis and one other with a narrower brim.

Not much selection, but at least I have a hat.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Went to Roberta's Hats. There I bought the Bailey of Hollywood Curtis fedora in light felt. The stock there was not too extensive. They had the Curtis and one other with a narrower brim.

Not much selection, but at least I have a hat.

If you have the "right size" for your head, now you can shop online at Bailey's with some confidence that "that size" of litefelt hat will fit you.

Top Bottom