What's new

Winter Clothes Storage

How do you store your winter clothes? I always wash them, then hang them in the closet until next winter. Are there better storage options?

That is what I normally do as well. However, if you have bulky items like down jackets and wool sweaters, you can purchase vacuum sealed bags that will compress your clothes and seal them up during the warmer months. That method also work well for comforters, blankets, sleeping bags, etc. They take up a lot less room once compressed. They should expand back to normal when you open the sealed bag.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I leave them in the wardrobe. Everything still fits in there in winter when I leave the summer stuff in, so I don't bother worrying about moving them somewhere else when the temperatures rise.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My lovely bride taught me to swap out our wardrobe by putting the wrong season clothes in big totes and putting them up in the upper area of our barn.

"Fancy" dress clothes (suits, sweaters, stuff that is dry clean only) I leave in the house year round.

My lovely bride taught me to swap out our wardrobe by putting the wrong season clothes in big totes and putting them up in the upper area of our barn.

"Fancy" dress clothes (suits, sweaters, stuff that is dry clean only) I leave in the house year round.
This is pretty much what I do as well. In fact, it'll soon be time to put the fall/winter clothes away and bring out the spring/summer stuff. Though I do keep my winter pants hanging up, because I have room to and I don't have room in the tote for them.
I also use this as a way to ensure I don't collect too much stuff. If I can't fit everything in the tote, I know I need to thin out the wardrobe.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
We have too many clothes, but our kids are all grown and we have all the closets to ourselves, including a 14' walk-in. Yet we still use bins (the big ones with covers, so when you pick them up your back hurts) for some of the out of season stuff - shoes, tee shirts, etc.). Except for the obvious winter/summer switches most of it stays where it is.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
My wife stores her out of season clothing, aside from large items such as coats, in suitcases which slide under the beds. In recent years I have deliberately discarded or donated my lowest quality clothing and now purchase very little such that my total owned has dropped by around 75%. I find it very liberating to not have so much choice and so many possessions, a principle I will be applying to all areas of my life, including shaving.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My wife stores her out of season clothing, aside from large items such as coats, in suitcases which slide under the beds. In recent years I have deliberately discarded or donated my lowest quality clothing and now purchase very little such that my total owned has dropped by around 75%. I find it very liberating to not have so much choice and so many possessions, a principle I will be applying to all areas of my life, including shaving.
I'm on this path (besides shaving!) as well. Being retired has ruined my looks, if it's true that "the clothes make the man!"

Top Bottom