What's new

Winter Cigars

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I stopped smoking cigars in the house the day my wife gave up cigarettes 5 years ago. She has not had a cigarette since.

Luckily, there is a wonderful 'everybody knows your name' cigar shop/smoking lounge less than 10 minutes from my house.

Smaller cigars to smoke outside? Bolivar PC and PC Jr., ERdM Choix Supreme, Punch Punch, Fuente Short Story, El Original Corona Claro.

YMMV

Here in Michigan, I also move towards a Robusto, Gordito, and/or a nice Petit Corona during the winter months! That and a Bells Porter or a fine bourbon and I am nice and toasty!

I stopped smoking cigars in the house the day my wife gave up cigarettes 5 years ago. She has not had a cigarette since.

Luckily, there is a wonderful 'everybody knows your name' cigar shop/smoking lounge less than 10 minutes from my house.

Smaller cigars to smoke outside? Bolivar PC and PC Jr., ERdM Choix Supreme, Punch Punch, Fuente Short Story, El Original Corona Claro.

YMMV

The Arturo Fuente "Short Story" is fine smoke, indeed! One of my favorites in any season.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I have a friend who is far more advanced than I. I've been to 3 of the Havana Castle locations based on his recommend. I prefer the Port Credit location. Prices are, as you note, not cheap. But that is our lot here in Canada, and at least there is the security of knowing the products are legit.

I assume you have checked out the little shop at Hwy 10 and Steeles (the Food Basics Mall). Not a great selection, and I am not sure his storage is adequate. Picked up a few CAO Maduros there. I did not know that the Wee Smoke Shop carried anything other than vape and cannabis supplies. Will have to check that out. I am strictly a weekend puffer, so you are going to have to wait a few days for a report on the shorties.

My current "basic" cigar is a choice between the Havana Castle Blue house blend, and their "Front Street" offering. Both are in the $10 - $15.00 range. Like I said, I'm just starting out.

If you ever want to take a run down to Six Nations, let me know . . . happy to split gas for the trip.

I've bought some pipe tobacco at the . . . let's call it Brampton's main street at Steeles. I really didn't know they carried cigars . . . such are the rules we live under . . . everything tobacco is hidden from view.

I lived in Port Credit for a few years . . . I think Havana Castle came after I left . . . Man when I was there I was living next to a couple of oil refineries . . . all gone now and the place is kinda upscale luxury. I miss walking by the lake.

A good place is in Etobicoke . . . Cigar Studio. They are a registered tobacconist so they can actually show you the cigars and they have a very large selection and great customer service and advice.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Pretty impressive Bakker1964. I lived a couple of blocks on the same street West of there. I've got to admit it is weird to use Google Street view as the images span back a fair few years now. Across the street from Havana Castle I saw The Harp where I'd have a few beers on a weekend with friends. I thought to myself that might be fun to visit. Sadly not there now.

Holiday season. A couple years back there was an excellent butcher on Mississauga Road. I might find my way back for a visit to a couple of places. (Down the street South from the cigar shop is/was the Little shop of Horology I had an old school clock repaired there a few years ago. It was a clock my father-in-law rescued from a tiny schoolhouse that was being torn down from a military base in Trenton I think . . . back in the 40's. I had it fixed up for my wife as a Christmas gift)

Yeah . . . .time for a visit.

Just to get back on track . . . first snow fall last night. Hump day shortie. Held the ash all the way down, until the heat stopped me from smoking more of it.

SOTW-11-06-2019.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Back to smoking in the cold months. Yeah I mean smoking outside when it is below freezing.

I'm still pretty new to cigars . . . Some cigars I have a bit of trouble with the wrapper coming loose . . . others can be pretty much frozen and not have this problem. Is this just a me thing?

Do we just move to pipes for the cold season? (not really an awful thought)

I am tempted by pipes, mostly because my wife says she loves the aroma. I fear adding a second "enthusiasm" for my OCD to be occupied with.

Top Bottom