What's new

Winter Cigars

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
The leafs are falling from the trees and we can see our breath in the morning. Seems it is past time to spend a couple of hours on the back porch as we tend to start shivering . . .

So . . . what do we do.

For me . . . and I've not been long with smoking cigars . . . I'm going with shorter. I just had my last of a box of Romeo Y Julieta petite royals. Time for the next box. I also enjoyed some Nubs.

So . . . aside from my ideas. What do you guys do? I am never going to smoke inside so that is out of the question.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Pricy, but you might like DE Papas Fritas. They are a medium filler cigar made from the cuttings off of the T-52 production cigars. They still last a good while tho. Not a 20 min smoke.

Punch, Padron and many other brands have some 50x4 or 50x5 cigars that are forty minutes smokes that don't break the bank. Some of my favorites are from La Galera.

Mike, am I to assume you are in Brampton Canada?? If so that’s a different kind of cold than what I’m used to, living here in Phoenix. The good news is if you go with a shorter smoke you can get exception cigars at a fraction of the price. It always seems like the cigars that get blown out online are overwhelmingly short smokes, so congrats! For short smokes I love Hemingway Short Story or even better, Work of Art. Is it so cold out that space heaters don’t help much?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Yes to be clear I'm in Brampton Canada. Kinda warmer part of Canada than some.

I am loving the suggestions. I went through a box of the Hemingway Short Story last year. I like the idea of the Work of Art being it's big brother. I was also looking a Punch . . . I just don't hear much about them.

Kent . . . on a cold day I can probably smoke a Churchill in an hour so DE Papas Fritas are probably in the right range.

Pricy, but you might like DE Papas Fritas. They are a medium filler cigar made from the cuttings off of the T-52 production cigars. They still last a good while tho. Not a 20 min smoke.

I actually wanted to recommend this after seeing a thread title, but yeah... just had one outside and it was outstanding. :)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Yes to be clear I'm in Brampton Canada.

I visit Brampton quite often. I have a client there, and my sister lives in the Burl. Friends in Oakville, etc. Your problem up there is you dont have any indoor smoking lounges like we do in the states. It gives us a lot more smoking options.

I visit Brampton quite often. I have a client there, and my sister lives in the Burl. Friends in Oakville, etc. Your problem up there is you dont have any indoor smoking lounges like we do in the states. It gives us a lot more smoking options.

One of these days I have to check out some of these lounges. Detroit is only a ten minute drive for me and I know that there’s at least a couple. One day.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
My winter cigar is a Danish Stanwell, and a 1959 Comoy for Christmas week. Lol. It gets too cold around here for sticks outside, and Mrs. Columbo would toss me out the door if I ever lit one up around the pasta.

But if it’s balmy enough, it’s always going to be a Padron ‘64 Corona during winter. Rich, but relatively quick. I save the Imperials for when the trees are green again and I can enjoy it longer.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

Interesting point. I'd call it one more option.

I could see myself going to a lounge if I had a couple of buddies with me. If this was the case my personal choice would to be to find a spot where I and my couple buddies could avoid a lounge. Each to his own taste I guess.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
My winter cigar is a Danish Stanwell, and a 1959 Comoy for Christmas week. Lol. It gets too cold around here for sticks outside, and Mrs. Columbo would toss me out the door if I ever lit one up around the pasta.

But if it’s balmy enough, it’s always going to be a Padron ‘64 Corona during winter. Rich, but relatively quick. I save the Imperials for when the trees are green again and I can enjoy it longer.

How is your dog doing Columbo? Just a riff on your member name and picture. No harm intended.

I think it will always be outdoors for me too.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
A nice Parodi, to go along with a glass of bourbon.

Ha . . . nothing against a Parodi. I'm on the edge on this one. I like them but they are, to me, somewhere between a cigarette and a cigar. I will enjoy some more of these too.

To me, there is a difference I'm looking for when I think "Cigar". A difference in taste . . . for instance a Macanudo Ascot of the various types . . . tastes more like what I'm looking for when I want a cigar.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
How is your dog doing Columbo? Just a riff on your member name and picture. No harm intended.

I think it will always be outdoors for me too.

Dog is good. Watches too much TV and wears out the couch.

Going to light up shortly, as soon as I reset all the clocks for Mrs. Columbo.

Ha . . . nothing against a Parodi. I'm on the edge on this one. I like them but they are, to me, somewhere between a cigarette and a cigar. I will enjoy some more of these too.

To me, there is a difference I'm looking for when I think "Cigar". A difference in taste . . . for instance a Macanudo Ascot of the various types . . . tastes more like what I'm looking for when I want a cigar.
Never had a cigarette. But If I had to guess they are harsh and Parodis can be pretty harsh.. But there is something I love about them. I started on cigars but I'm kinda out of the cigar game, its expensive so I stick to pipes. I love a Padron, of any kind. They are the best.

But my best bowl of tobacco, still doesn't hold a candle to a good cigar and I'm due for one.

Yes to be clear I'm in Brampton Canada. Kinda warmer part of Canada than some.

I am loving the suggestions. I went through a box of the Hemingway Short Story last year. I like the idea of the Work of Art being it's big brother. I was also looking a Punch . . . I just don't hear much about them.

Kent . . . on a cold day I can probably smoke a Churchill in an hour so DE Papas Fritas are probably in the right range.

Hey there . . . I'm in Bramalea. Just bought a few "Short Stories" to try out.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Hey there . . . I'm in Bramalea. Just bought a few "Short Stories" to try out.

I hope to hear how you do with them. I'm sure you are finding some of the same difficulties as I am finding things locally. Most of the "smoke shops" are at best cigarettes and vaping. Maybe a few types of pipe tobacco.

The Wee Smoke Shop downtown has a pretty good, for here, selection of cigars. Not inexpensive. If you have found some other spots please share.

I have a friend who is far more advanced than I. I've been to 3 of the Havana Castle locations based on his recommend. I prefer the Port Credit location. Prices are, as you note, not cheap. But that is our lot here in Canada, and at least there is the security of knowing the products are legit.

I assume you have checked out the little shop at Hwy 10 and Steeles (the Food Basics Mall). Not a great selection, and I am not sure his storage is adequate. Picked up a few CAO Maduros there. I did not know that the Wee Smoke Shop carried anything other than vape and cannabis supplies. Will have to check that out. I am strictly a weekend puffer, so you are going to have to wait a few days for a report on the shorties.

My current "basic" cigar is a choice between the Havana Castle Blue house blend, and their "Front Street" offering. Both are in the $10 - $15.00 range. Like I said, I'm just starting out.

If you ever want to take a run down to Six Nations, let me know . . . happy to split gas for the trip.

Top Bottom