What's new

Winter Blah Contest

January is turning into February here in the Chicago area. We yearn for the comfortable warmth of summertime so why not at least read about it? Tell us your favorite tropical memory of warmth and heat and sunshine.

The Captain will use random.org to select the winner. (Or maybe there will be more than one that random.org selects.) Due to shipping expense this is limited to CONUS only please.

~ The Captain

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Not in, but the title made me chuckle!

One of my favorites would have to be of my parents, my roommate, who was a life-long friend, and myself sitting on my back patio in Florida, eating fresh seafood, sipping on some nice wines, and watching the sunset over the water. It'll be ten years since then in March.

Count Me In! Love your contests and your products @Captain Pre-Capsize !

Well the 1st thing that popped into mind was in my high school days at football camp. It was August, in the South, so yeah it was hot! This brought back memories of water skiing on Wilson Lake which is part of the Tennessee River. That was much more enjoyable for sure. It was nice sunshiny and warm.

I went to school in Florida and loved driving around with the convertible roof down during the winter. One time I thought I was so cool with the music on and the sun shining. I pull up to a red light and my transmission went out.
That's a lot of heat being stuck on the road with a busted car .

I'm in too, I love sunny places (even though I've always lived in the Midwest).

My family had foreign exchange students from the country of Panama stay with us while I was growing up, three of them were from the same family. We have visited the students and their family in Panama a few times now. My favorite memory was sitting with the father of the family, Papa Sergio, my father and the son, Sergio Alejandro, at a resort bar. My father's name is Kirk, and he loves Star Trek. We were looking for a sweeter drink and the bartender decides he is going to create a drink for my dad, called "El Capitan Kirk". It ended up being bright green, the perfect balance of sweet and tart, and one of the most fun nights I had while visiting them in Panama.

Another favorite memory from Panama was being able to go down for the oldest daughter's wedding last year. She was like my sister growing up, staying with our family twice, so it was incredible seeing her on the altar. I have visited Panama a few times on my own, mainly spending time with her and her friends. Incredible experiences every time I have been down there, with many more great stories.

Thanks for doing this, I hadn't thought about them in a little while! I'll have to Skype them sometime soon.

I'm in Minnesota today where it's about 15 degrees out right now. Great topic, warmth and heat and sunshine, that sounds fantastic I remember all kinds of different stories coming into my head. But one of my favorite memories was about two years ago when I bought a new hammock, it was a warm summer day in Minneapolis and I had every intention to work on my tan. But the heat was so hot and I decided tanning in a hammock doesn't really work very well and so I tied my hammock up between a couple trees in the shade and I laid in it and enjoy the Cool Breeze and the sound of the birds in the trees and the people moving about a dog barking a train on the railroad track and me and my shorts and my sunglasses with my headphones on enjoying the tropical heat and warmth and sunshine.:walkman:... :walkman:... :walkman:... :walkman:... :walkman:... :walkman:............. :boat:

I'm in, great PIF opportunity! My immediate memory is of summer camp with my Boy Scout troop. They had a nice big campsite (that they owned, interestingly enough) up in the mountains, and it was always fun to go out and be in nature. No electricity, no running water, no enclosed buildings, no plumbing - nothing! It was a great way to disconnect for a while, especially as a teenager. Always nice and warm, and if it was too hot we could cool off with a dip in the lake or the creek!

Not in, plenty of the Captain on hand, but thanks Scott for spreading the joy.

The first Star Wars movie, a drive-in theater, a cooler of beer, a pickup, good friends. We must have seen the move 10 times, sitting on lawn chairs in the back of pickups, cold one in hand. A line of pickups, real pickups with rust, dents, and remnants of hay bales, not a cowboy Cadillac, with all us country boys watching a space western and providing alternate dialog at the right times. None of the later Star Wars pics came close to the 1st one.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Being in the Florida Keys on one of those days where the breeze was sometimes just a tad on the cool side and sometimes just a tad on the warm side, where you couldn't quite tell if the beautiful sunny day was late winter or early spring, and then you realized in the Keys there's no such thing as winter, and that you were going out to snorkel so who cares.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Three weeks in southern Mexico around Christmas 1999/New Year's 2000.
The middle week was spent on the beach in Puerto Escondido, on the Pacific coast of Oaxaca state.
The grilled huachinango (red snapper) with lime still stands out in my memory.

Thanks again for thinking of us!

Count me in....

My grandparents lived in a large apartment complex right on Tampa Bay. We visited at Christmas one year (late 70's) and they had a "Santa" that rode around the complex in a boat and gave out presents. It just so happened that my grandparents received one of the "big" presents - a matching set of 3-speed bikes! Of course, we had to test them out to make sure they were safe for the old folks to operate. :001_rolle

I am in, thank you! For me , fond memories of Fourth of July celebrations. Barbecue, lemonade, family and friends, and fireworks!

Not in as I already won one of your contest.

Being born and raised in Hawaii, I got too many tropical memories. Just bringing out the extra blankets in the winter when the temperatures at night got down to 70 degrees is one. However, growing up in a sugar plantation community, waking up at 4:30 every morning to do chores around the animal pens and vegetable gardens until 5:30 and then eating breakfast and suiting up to work in the family cane field at 7 and then working until noon (after that it was too hot to work for us 8-12 year olds. Okay, that wasn't the fun part of the memory. The fun part was coming home and having the entire time after lunch all the way until dinner time to play baseball, swim in the gulch, hike along the river to catch prawns, and doing just about any other thing that makes me wonder how I survived into old age.

My favorite memory has to be going to Sting Ray City off Grand Cayman with my family when I was about 8 or 9 years old. It was really neat to swim around in the warm water with all the sting rays. My favorite part (looking back now) has to be of my younger brother, now a Green Beret, immediately sprinting back onto the boat as soon as one of the rays got close. He was young and one of the first ones off the boat, so they were all heading for him looking for food, but its amusing looking back now and teasing him every now and then.

Last edited:
Not in, but being in central Illinois I've had some harsh weather. My favorite warm weather memory was hiking the na pali coast in Kauai with my brothers about 30 years ago. One of the most beautiful spots on earth with unique beaches where frigid fresh mountain water streams run into warm Pacific waves

I'm in. Thanks!
My whole life is mostly memories of sun, warmth, & heat. One word: TEXAS!

-Car door handles get super hot
-seat belt buckles burn your hands
-only ac in the car was 4/60 (4 windows rolled down going 60 mph)

Great memories!

Last week the temps were rising, the ice on my pond was melting, and things were looking up. Today I went outside to 5 minutes and I was chilled to the bone. I love winter, but I'm pretty ready for it to be over.

One of my favorite memories is camping under the stars in Arizona. We'd just drive down these old roads and look for a place that seemed fitting for camping. Sometimes we'd be in a pine forest, sometimes under a bluff in the sand. Either way, all we'd have was a campfire and our sleeping bags. No need for a tent. Just be sure to check your shoes in the morning for snakes and scorpions (we never found any).

Easy last year almost 1 year to the day went on a vacation to Hawaii!!! BEAUTIFUL OMG you see blue oceans and turn around and see green mountains!!
In fact last year I was watching the Super Bowl in Maui!!
If you ever think about going there GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I'm in. Thank you for the chance.

I like to remember long carefree summers spent at the beach at my grandparents summer house in coastal southern Delaware. I have fond memories of body surfing in the ocean and water skiing in the river.

Cheers!
-Robby

Top Bottom