What's new

Winning SS Razor WSC First Use & Thoughts (Head Shave)

hey so I finally got my hands on the Winning SS Razor by WSC

i love these razors with the 'built in' angle type of head
roughly 48 hours worth of growth and thought i'd go with my go to blade, so i popped in a fresh feather

after first stroke i just knew i really like this razor, its so smooth, easy to use and to me its more efficient then the henson medium but not as efficent as the yaqi tile, now even though its just a tad less efficent then the yaqi tile but its way more forgiving

however saying that i finally know what some of you guys mean by the 'suction' feeling,
it doesnt bother me and i dont mind it but im a head shaver so dont know if that makes a difference at all?

either way its a bit weird as i dont get that with the henson medium al or the yaqi tile ss

my only real dislike is the lather holes, like why is it so small? thats the only let down to this razor,
sometimes i dont get to shave as much as i'd like and even with just 48 hours worth of growth i had to rinse a fair bit and even loosen the head to be able to rinse the razor/blade out

the magnet came in handy on the handle as when i was cleaning the razor and blades out as i usally do it was nice to be able to get the blade out easily lool 😅

this razor is just right as a daily driver and would be better then the yaqi tile for using as a daily driver imho YMMV

either way i love it this razor and glad i got it especially as its discontinued now :)

Jake Yates said they used the holes because it takes a lot less time to drill a set of holes than to use lather "slots," and the Winning was designed to be produced more quickly at a lower cost. If you use very thick lather, the holes may not "drain" quickly enough and require more frequent rinsing. FWIW, I haven't had a problem.

Regarding "suction": A lot of people have said the same. I agree the Winning has a different feel on the face than many (most?) other DE razors, but it doesn't feel like "suction" to me. I think you are right that the feel of the razor has no impact on its performance.

Regarding "suction": A lot of people have said the same. I agree the Winning has a different feel on the face than many (most?) other DE razors, but it doesn't feel like "suction" to me. I think you are right that the feel of the razor has no impact on its performance.
I agree with Stew here. I read the reviews before getting mine in this week and was concerned by that description. When I experienced the razor it didn't feel like "suction" per say. I believe I'm feeling the combined surface area of the head and safety bar instead of the blade even though the blade is doing work. This is the auto pilot feature. What's remarkable is how efficient it is at the same time. Just my 2c.

I'm very happy with the Winning razor. With only two shaves, I don't know the razor as well as some users, but so far it's been great. It's efficient, it's well made, it is a very good value and it gives a terrific shave.

Suction effect? I guess I'm not sensitive enough to sense that, but it does have some drag. Several intrepid folks here on B&B have polished the surfaces that contact the skin and report good success in eliminating the drag/suction or whatever one wants to call it.

Overall, a wonderful razor.

Jake Yates said they used the holes because it takes a lot less time to drill a set of holes than to use lather "slots," and the Winning was designed to be produced more quickly at a lower cost. If you use very thick lather, the holes may not "drain" quickly enough and require more frequent rinsing. FWIW, I haven't had a problem.

Yea like I said I've not had this 'suction' feeling on Henson or the yaqi but I feel a bit not too much though, I'm not complaining as it doesn't bother me more of an observation

Yea I just don't get the lather holes,
wasn't like the lather was super thick

How often do you shave with the winning razor?

Btw I do love the razor, defo up there for me

I agree with Stew here. I read the reviews before getting mine in this week and was concerned by that description. When I experienced the razor it didn't feel like "suction" per say. I believe I'm feeling the combined surface area of the head and safety bar instead of the blade even though the blade is doing work. This is the auto pilot feature. What's remarkable is how efficient it is at the same time. Just my 2c.
One thing I've noticed, with the winning razor it's a tad bit more smoother then the yaqi tile but thing I'm noticing more now is theres less irritation from the winning razor then the yaqi tile and even then the yaqi tile doesn't really cause me irritation

I'm very happy with the Winning razor. With only two shaves, I don't know the razor as well as some users, but so far it's been great. It's efficient, it's well made, it is a very good value and it gives a terrific shave.

Suction effect? I guess I'm not sensitive enough to sense that, but it does have some drag. Several intrepid folks here on B&B have polished the surfaces that contact the skin and report good success in eliminating the drag/suction or whatever one wants to call it.

Overall, a wonderful razor.
Yea I agree it's a really good razor, I mean I love fatip razors and they're known for being value for money but you can't beat this razor when it comes to value got money

Ideally I want to head shave more regularly so I'm hoping I can do that with this razor hopefully as I think it would be a great daily driver

Reactions: Kix
@StewB @apshaveco @Kix @Skin_Flint one thing I forgot to expand on in the OP is when I mentioned it's unforgiving I don't think I've come across a de razor like this one in the sense that you can apply a bit of pressure with this razor,
Like if you tried that with any safety razor you'll end up with cuts

Also this razor excels at buffing

Agreed

I have only gotten irritation once when using the Winning, and it was with a Nacet blade. There were some raw-feeling spots on my face that day after using that blade.

I’ve managed to nick myself twice with it somehow. Both times at the start of a pass. Not sure if I’m hitting the blade first somehow or what. Love the shave it gives but am definitely not used to cutting myself with other DE razors

I have only gotten irritation once when using the Winning, and it was with a Nacet blade. There were some raw-feeling spots on my face that day after using that blade.
This winning razor left me with such a smooth bbs that it felt like it lasted longer then usual

Btw just curious you mentioned thick lather and this razor, is your lather on the thinner side or you use thick lather but have no issues?

I’ve managed to nick myself twice with it somehow. Both times at the start of a pass. Not sure if I’m hitting the blade first somehow or what. Love the shave it gives but am definitely not used to cutting myself with other DE razors
Surprised, I think it's quite a forgiving razor

I’m Not sure what I’m doing wrong. I must just be hitting blade first or something. The shave is fabulous though. Wish I’d bought two…

It could be, if you are applying pressure. The Winning has 0 blade exposure, so it shouldn't bite as easily. Another possibility - I can get nicks with a blade that is too dull, either too dull from the start or has just gotten too dull. What blade are you using and have you tried a sharper one?

It could be, if you are applying pressure. The Winning has 0 blade exposure, so it shouldn't bite as easily. Another possibility - I can get nicks with a blade that is too dull, either too dull from the start or has just gotten too dull. What blade are you using and have you tried a sharper one?
Happened twice once with a fresh Nacet and once with a fresh Rapira Platinum Lux. I think it may be the steep angle thing mentioned above as it definitely creates that suction feeling when I go steep with it. I don’t use any pressure with a DE razor so I don’t think it’s that. It gives such a great shave I’m not going to give up on it. Truly a fantastic shave compared to all my other razors.

Top Bottom