What's new

Winner blades by Gillette India

Yup, but it beats me why they are using a 25 year old picture of a sports personality who retired some years ago and definitely have a different hairdo for nearly 10 years.

If he retired years ago, people probably remember how he looked back in his "glory" days. Thus, for marketing purposes, that is the the image with which people identify.

I don't think they are the same the Winner is just a bit smoother and sharper.Its an 8.00 a hundred blade.I like it and I bought them when they were firstst released for sale.A very dependable solid blade that is a reasonable cost and a good quality ....not the best or the worse.I kinda don't understand all the drama about this blade.It is what it is I own some of all the blades mentioned and they are all a bit different than each other in different razors.But the Wiiner package is a scream to give to a friend as it creates alot of smiles.Happy New Year To Everyone!
I just tried the new Winner Stainless blades.1st shave only fair but after that they were great for 4 more shaves with good prep.I like these both the SS And the plats.Cheap and good.As good as a Silver Star.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I have tried most blades mentioned in this thread. Gillette 365, Winner Platinum, 7oc black, 7oc permasharp and finally the Winner Stainless. I like them all. Winner Stainless wasn't mentioned much. Based on a single shave, they are good. Has anyone tried them?

I have tried most blades mentioned in this thread. Gillette 365, Winner Platinum, 7oc black, 7oc permasharp and finally the Winner Stainless. I like them all. Winner Stainless wasn't mentioned much. Based on a single shave, they are good. Has anyone tried them?

Yes, I have tried Winner Stainless. Although bearing the Gillette logo, they are not manufactured by Gillette, but by a subcontractor. Pretty bad if you ask me. Give me light irritation. They were dirt cheap and I bought a 100. Now I use them for cutting labels on my clothes.

Something important to mention. Winner Stainless aren't up to scratch dimensions-wise. In some razors (at least 3) I had this thing where you have unequal exposure. First time I am encountering anything like that.

Yes, I have tried Winner Stainless. Although bearing the Gillette logo, they are not manufactured by Gillette, but by a subcontractor. Pretty bad if you ask me. Give me light irritation. They were dirt cheap and I bought a 100. Now I use them for cutting labels on my clothes.

Something important to mention. Winner Stainless aren't up to scratch dimensions-wise. In some razors (at least 3) I had this thing where you have unequal exposure. First time I am encountering anything like that.
strange, I will check the exposure.
I used them in the Lupo 95. Pretty smooth, and medium sharp (or I could say sharp enough). I had 0 feedback after a 3 pass shave from my AS splash. If anything is off, the splash stings, or burns if there was irritation. Today, nothing, it felt like water.
The one thing that I noticed is that the blade has a bit of chatter. I noted the same for the 365s.

P.s.: if you only tried one blade, maybe you could try another from a different tuck.

P.s.2: just checked. exposure is spot on, even and same on both sides. (note: I can fiddle minutes with the exposure in less precise razors (merkur, khmkhm), so I know what I am looking for)

Last edited:
strange, I will check the exposure.
I used them in the Lupo 95. Pretty smooth, and medium sharp (or I could say sharp enough). I had 0 feedback after a 3 pass shave from my AS splash. If anything is off, the splash stings, or burns if there was irritation. Today, nothing, it felt like water.
The one thing that I noticed is that the blade has a bit of chatter. I noted the same for the 365s.

P.s.: if you only tried one blade, maybe you could try another from a different tuck.
Blades are the most subjective thing in this hobby.
Don't know what you mean saying the blade has chatter. Usually this is a characteristic of a razor.
365 are thinner and more flexible than most blades. Maybe that is the reason you have chatter. Try flex a 365 and a few other brands. You will notice you need much less effort for the 365.

Blades are the most subjective thing in this hobby.
Don't know what you mean saying the blade has chatter. Usually this is a characteristic of a razor.
365 are thinner and more flexible than most blades. Maybe that is the reason you have chatter. Try flex a 365 and a few other brands. You will notice you need much less effort for the 365.
that is exactly what I mean. I hear the chatter while shaving. I didn't hear it the day before using a Feather. (Same razor, Lupo 95 SB, it clamps the blade really well, so normally there isn't any chatter)

Winner Stainless shave #2, same setup, I changed the soap from Speick to Stirling. It's sharpness declined rapidly after the first pass. After 3 passes some feedback from the AS splash, but went away quickly. It wasn't a bad shave, but there are other blades that last at least 3 shaves. We'll see after I use another blade.

for science I used it for a 3rd time. I put it in the savior of dull blades, the Merkur 37C. One side was dull from the get-go, so I didn't use that, but the other side gave a serviceable shave. Not efficient, but at least smooth. It didn't get as close as I used to, but I could do 3 passes without issues. 37C ftw.
conclusion? one and done blade, in the right razor.

The Gillette Wilkinson Sword...I think they're marketed in India, but made in China? Not sure. Great blade though and very inexpensive.
The GWS are manufactured in both China and India. They used to have slightly different packaging, but I haven't checked lately. I have both, and they are good budget blades. Plenty capable of giving me a comfortable and safe shave, but not entirely up to the level of some of my favorite blades.

Chinese Packaging
1677257772617.png

Indian Packing
1677257801777.png

I've read, but never seen, that the top packing can be found on blades made in India for the Asian market.

The GWS are manufactured in both China and India. They used to have slightly different packaging, but I haven't checked lately. I have both, and they are good budget blades. Plenty capable of giving me a comfortable and safe shave, but not entirely up to the level of some of my favorite blades.

Chinese Packaging
View attachment 1611207

Indian Packing
View attachment 1611208

I've read, but never seen, that the top packing can be found on blades made in India for the Asian market.

No longer manufactured in China. Only in India. They had them manufactured in China for the Indian market for a few years. When the current Chinese made stock in stores is gone, there will be no more. Indian sellers on Ebay said a year or two ago the Chinese ones are gone in India.

No longer manufactured in China. Only in India. They had them manufactured in China for the Indian market for a few years. When the current Chinese made stock in stores is gone, there will be no more. Indian sellers on Ebay said a year or two ago the Chinese ones are gone in India.
Thanks for the update. I have a few hundred of both, so I haven't kept up with the market lately. I rather enjoyed the Chinese ones, but the Indians also do a good job. I'm unsure I could tell a difference between them in a few of my milder razors.

Thanks for the update. I have a few hundred of both, so I haven't kept up with the market lately. I rather enjoyed the Chinese ones, but the Indians also do a good job. I'm unsure I could tell a difference between them in a few of my milder razors.
Got only 50-60 of the Indian made ones. 250 of the Chinese. My preference is definitely for the Chinese ones as they are a tad sharper.

Got only 50-60 of the Indian made ones. 250 of the Chinese. My preference is definitely for the Chinese ones as they are a tad sharper.
I think when I finish this Gillette 365 I'm currently on I may load up one of the Chinese GWS blades for a spin. It seems like it has been a while.

I have seen opinions going both ways on this, so I too have tried the Indian GWS and the Winner Platinum back to back. Same razor, same growth, same soap, etc. (RR Lupo 95 OC, Stirling Sharp Dressed Man, 48h growth) These are well known products to me that work well on my mug.

To me these blades are not identical. They are not a world apart, but the GWS is magically smooth, and the Winner is "just" smooth. The GWS are just sharp enough for my beard, the Winner is sharper. Even the post shave feel was different.

I will do more back to back shaves until I bin them which is usually 3 uses. I might try them in the same shave later if my results are not conclusive (to me).

I have been shaving with the Merkur Progress with indian blades for weeks now: first GWS, then 7oc black and now the Winner Platinums.
This blade is the sharpest of the 3, while being smooth at the same time. Today was shave #5 of the Winner plat and it isn't slowing down (I usually toss blades after 3-4 uses, GWS after 2). It has sharpened up by the 2nd use. The plan was to switch to my Lupos after 3 shaves, but now I'm curious how long it will last. I'll keep using it until it shows signs of dulling.

1698676097066.png

Top Bottom