What's new

Winner blades by Gillette India

Shave 3: Used my Toggle and it was a smooth as silk shave. I maybe could have pushed for shave 4 but decided to toss it after 3 as I don't like pressing my luck. Blade cost $0.15 cents CAD = $.05 cents per shave

I'm pretty sure these are re-branded Indian Wilkies. I have a tuck of 11 blades. I haven't opened it yet, but comparing with a tuck of those Wilkies, they seem very similar. Address,etc on the back are the same.

I'm pretty sure these are re-branded Indian Wilkies. I have a tuck of 11 blades. I haven't opened it yet, but comparing with a tuck of those Wilkies, they seem very similar. Address,etc on the back are the same.

A razor blade plant can produce a lot of different brands of blades. Just look at the PPI/Gillette Russian plant.

I would not be surprised if the Winner blades were just rebranded WS blades designed to attract the Indian market, just as you have surmised. At least try them before you declare that they are the same blades. They could just as well shave been designed differently to address specific needs of Indian beards and skin types.

I don't think Gillette rebrands at all. I do believe they tweak the hone angle as well as "play" with the sputtering process a little to pinpoint a particular market based on geographical/cultural markets. That is why many "heavy bearded" shavers like the Nacet. As well, Asians have whiskers that are slightly tougher to cut.

On another note, I used the Gillette 365 blade again today for its 2nd shave using the exact same prep and razor. I only changed the soap to an A&E current base one and the resultant shave was simply marvelous. If I can get another couple of stellar shaves like the first two this just may be 100 blade hanger worthy.

I have used The Winner and I think its a smooth,sharp,consistent blade thats quite a bargain.Works well in all my razors and holds an edge well.Better than the 365's by abit and around the performance of a Indian Gillette Wilkie maybe just a tad better.Its fun to give them away ad everybody smiles when they see the package.These blades are getting a bad rap as they are not the best and far far from the worst.Malochio likes them too-forgive me Mal if I spelled your name incorrectly!

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

I have used The Winner and I think its a smooth,sharp,consistent blade thats quite a bargain.Works well in all my razors and holds an edge well.Better than the 365's by abit and around the performance of a Indian Gillette Wilkie maybe just a tad better.Its fun to give them away ad everybody smiles when they see the package.These blades are getting a bad rap as they are not the best and far far from the worst.Malochio likes them too-forgive me Mal if I spelled your name incorrectly!

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Not just for being a fan of the sport of cricket the graphic of the packet makes me smile, it really is superb. An avuncular Indian chap with an affable grin on his face raising his thumb to toast your incoming DFS (or BBS).

I found the blade to perform very much like the Indian Gillette Wilk Sword, but I really should try them both again to see if they as similar as my mind sees them to be.

To those who have tried both, how does the Winners blade compare to the 7 O'Clock Black?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

To those who have tried both, how does the Winners blade compare to the 7 O'Clock Black?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Nowhere as sharp. The 7 Black is one of the sharpest blades around there, the Winner is a mid sharpness blade like an Astra SP. YMMV as ever.

For today and yesterday's shaves I kept all my variables the same aside from the blade, and used a new Indian Gillette Wilkinson Sword yesterday and a new Gillette Winner today to see what the differences are between the two blades.

Both blades paired with a UK Fat Handle Tech produced 2 incredibly smooth and efficient shaves, really two of the most comfortable shaves I've had for a while.

FWIW, I couldn't tell a difference between both blades, if there are differences between both blades I don't think I am able to tell them for they shave at least.

I'd put the Winner (and the GWS India) as being superb blades. Smooth, efficient, and forgiving. I'd say the Winner's not a million miles from an Astra SP, maybe a touch less sharp but produces superb results.

I just had my first shave with a Gillette Indian Wilkinson Sword. Compared to the Winner blade for me they are similar but not the same. Winners are a bit sharper where as the Wilks are a tad smoother. The Wilks required a bit more work to get a DFS but my usual trouble area around the adams apple had noticeably less irritation with the Wilk blade. Also the Wilks are half the price so I may just have a "winner" on my hands, no pun intended...

I just had my first shave with a Gillette Indian Wilkinson Sword. Compared to the Winner blade for me they are similar but not the same. Winners are a bit sharper where as the Wilks are a tad smoother. The Wilks required a bit more work to get a DFS but my usual trouble area around the adams apple had noticeably less irritation with the Wilk blade. Also the Wilks are half the price so I may just have a "winner" on my hands, no pun intended...

Maggards sells tucks for $1.00 of the Chinese Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades which are better than the Indian ones IMO. You need to request on your order that you want the Chinese ones however as they are mixed in with Indian ones.

Maggards sells tucks for $1.00 of the Chinese Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades which are better than the Indian ones IMO. You need to request on your order that you want the Chinese ones however as they are mixed in with Indian ones.

I compared the Winner and the two GWS blades in the last 3 days and IMO the MIC GWS is much sharper than the MI India GWS.

The MIC GWS for sharpness and in use felt close to one of the sharper Gillette PPI blades whilst the Indian GWS I'd describe as being closer to an Astra SP, mid sharpness but fairly forgiving.

I shaved with the Gillette Winner today in my Rockwell 6c on R6 and received an effortless BBS for my pains. This was my second shave on this blade - the first shave delivered a high-end DFS. I really like this blade!

I shaved with the Gillette Winner today in my Rockwell 6c on R6 and received an effortless BBS for my pains. This was my second shave on this blade - the first shave delivered a high-end DFS. I really like this blade!

It sounds like the Winner blades are acting a lot like most other Gillette blades in that the 2nd shave is better than the first.

It's not like that. The 365 are made in two different Indian plants even now. I keep ordering a 100 almost every month, and even the same seller sends me 365s from both plants (made in the recent months). No difference in the shave they give.
Do you know where the other plant is? I know only 1 plant located in Baddi Industrial area regularly produce Greens and Blacks. 365s and Wilkies are made too but rather sporadically.

IMG_20191019_142400.jpg

Top Bottom