What's new

Winner blades by Gillette India

A man on a Euro forum has ordered these as well and in all likelihood will receive them before U.S. buyers and I will relay his opinion.

I ordered a 50 pack. I hope the blades will be good, but I'm keeping the box whether they are or not.

I'm in the US but I have been loosely following international cricket for the past few years. It entertains me. The man on the box is a sports god in India in the way Mickey Mantle was in the US back in the day- he is Sachin Tendulkar, one of the greatest batters in history; he retired about six years ago.

I was curious to know how he happened to become associated with Gillette in this way, though Gillette is a long term supporter of cricket in India in much the same way it supported baseball in the US for years. All I find is a rather heartwarming and very widely covered story from May of this year.

...I was curious to know how he happened to become associated with Gillette in this way, though Gillette is a long term supporter of cricket in India in much the same way it supported baseball in the US for years...

Let me venture a guess why.............uh.............money. :D

I used one today.

Feels a lot like the Indian Gillette Wilkinson Sword to the face, which is a blade I like. Not the sharpest or the smoothest, but a good middle of the road of blade that's fairly forgiving.

Unlike the Indian GWS, it's double wrapped and also has 4 glue spots.
WP_20190730_002.jpg

When Gillette selected a national celebrity to put on the package of the blades, it is obvious that they are catering to a specific market rather than to the global marketplace. Since this particular blade is appealing to the national pride of India, the blades have to be made there. However, it could well be that the blades are identical to some other blades manufactured by Gillette India, just packaged separately.

@RayClam
Unlike the Brazilian, the Chinese and the Russian plant, Gillette India as a rule doesn't make blades for world markets [or other countries actually]. I can remember only 3 exceptions. In 2006 they made a Gillette Goal Stainless, probably for the FIFA World Cup 2006. They have French writing on the paper wrapper and are not for India. Also in 2004, after the Czech plant has been sold by Gillette, they made a run of Gillette Platinum and the red Gillette Stainless for Europe. But that was only for a short time, since soon after that those two models switched to Russia.

Unlike the Brazilian, the Chinese and the Russian plant, Gillette India as a rule doesn't make blades for world markets [or other countries actually]. I can remember only 3 exceptions. In 2006 they made a Gillette Goal Stainless, probably for the FIFA World Cup 2006. They have French writing on the paper wrapper and are not for India. Also in 2004, after the Czech plant has been sold by Gillette, they made a run of Gillette Platinum and the red Gillette Stainless for Europe. But that was only for a short time, since soon after that those two models switched to Russia.

I have a hanger of those Gillette Goal Stainless with the soccer ball on the pckg. They are/were very good blades. I also have a 60 ct. hanger of 20 three blade tucks of the rarest Gillette India DE blade, the 7 O'Clock Diamond blades from the early 90's. As good as those are, I think the current 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Black) is the best DE blade ever made in India. YMMV.

I have a hanger of those Gillette Goal Stainless with the soccer ball on the pckg. They are/were very good blades. I also have a 60 ct. hanger of 20 three blade tucks of the rarest Gillette India DE blade, the 7 O'Clock Diamond blades from the early 90's. As good as those are, I think the current 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Black) is the best DE blade ever made in India. YMMV.

With the large population of India, Gillette does not need to target global markets with the production from the plant in India.

I do agree with you that the 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Black is the best DE blade from India and it may be one of the best blades in the world.

When Gillette selected a national celebrity to put on the package of the blades, it is obvious that they are catering to a specific market rather than to the global marketplace. Since this particular blade is appealing to the national pride of India, the blades have to be made there. However, it could well be that the blades are identical to some other blades manufactured by Gillette India, just packaged separately.

I used the Gillette Winner today and I think it might be the same blade as the Indian Gillette Wilkinson Sword, and I have a suspicion it could be a rebrand as it's a little confusing having two very products with the same name. The Indian GWS seemed to be for barbers, the MIC one is a consumer product. By rebranding the Indian GWS to winner it would make things a lot less confusing!

With the large population of India, Gillette does not need to target global markets with the production from the plant in India.

I do agree with you that the 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Black is the best DE blade from India and it may be one of the best blades in the world.

The DE blade market in India is huge. The barbershop shave is still king, with the tool of choice a shavette and half a DE blade.

I really like the 7OC Black. Of the 50+ different blades I've tried, it's in the top tier for the ones I like the most (my other top tier blades are all other PPI ones).

I used the Gillette Winner today and I think it might be the same blade as the Indian Gillette Wilkinson Sword, and I have a suspicion it could be a rebrand as it's a little confusing having two very products with the same name. The Indian GWS seemed to be for barbers, the MIC one is a consumer product. By rebranding the Indian GWS to winner it would make things a lot less confusing!

Odd that the Winner blades would be going to barbers though. Are the barbers' customers going to see the boxes? I know the blades are sold in saloon/salon/whatever packs, so they'd be aimed at barbers, it just seems to me as though you'd want graphic packaging to go to consumers instead. But then you also wouldn't want to put an Indian person on MIC blades. Hmmm.

Odd that the Winner blades would be going to barbers though. Are the barbers' customers going to see the boxes? I know the blades are sold in saloon/salon/whatever packs, so they'd be aimed at barbers, it just seems to me as though you'd want graphic packaging to go to consumers instead. But then you also wouldn't want to put an Indian person on MIC blades. Hmmm.

Barbers buy blades just like the rest of us. They are likely to be swayed by the same type of marketing I would imagine.

I just found this new brand of blades manufactured by Gillette India.

100 Gillette Winner Razor Blade Double Edge Safety Razor Shaving Platinum Coated | eBay

Anybody heard about them?
Tonite I shaved with the new Gillette Winner and it was great.No irritation and very smooth.Two pass DFS shave close enough.What a bargain as the blades were 7.49 a 100 pack from India.I will probably buy more.....reminded me of a Indian Gillette Wilkie a little....very smooth and sharp enough.These are so cheap its a shame not to try them.

At this price my order is "in".....thanks for the post !
I just tried the Winner.It was great smooth sharp enough and no irritation.What a suprize!Made in the same Indian factory as the Black Platinums as the address was the same and the blades were very similar touch and weight.Let me know what you think.....I was pleasantly suprized by this blade...what a deal at 7.49 a 100.

I just tried the Winner.It was great smooth sharp enough and no irritation.What a suprize!Made in the same Indian factory as the Black Platinums as the address was the same and the blades were very similar touch and weight.Let me know what you think.....I was pleasantly suprized by this blade...what a deal at 7.49 a 100.
Now testing the Winner... First 2 shaves were very smooth...How do you know these are made in India and not China ?

Now testing the Winner... First 2 shaves were very smooth...How do you know these are made in India and not China ?
Hello....I really enjoy your posts!I read the package it came with and it is the same as the platinum black and the 365's.Same address industrial park all the same.Ive yet to read the green permasharp but I would guess they are all the same.The blade is similar to the platinum black only smoother.What a bargain!

Top Bottom