What's new

Wine suggestions for.....

So next week starts Teachers appreciation week at my kids school. our family really likes our teachers. My sons teacher this year especially. She likes white wine and rose’ but said she likes it all and reds are good also. I told her I’m getting her a bottle because she’s been awesome and she deserves it. Actually I’m going to get her a few bottles. My wife has knitted her something also but nothing says I appreciate you like a nice bottle of your favorite adult beverage.

Im good with reds but need some guidance on rose’ and whites. I have a total wine and BevMo close by. Any advice is appreciated.

I will be following this thread. I am just beginning to understand wines, even in my 50s. I seek out dry white wines, as that is what my wife prefers. I typically drink a boxed wine, if that indicates my standards. I recently tried a couple bottles of pinot niore (spelling?) at under $20 a bottle and it was very good. I cringe at prices much higher and wonder how much better they could be.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I will be following this thread. I am just beginning to understand wines, even in my 50s. I seek out dry white wines, as that is what my wife prefers. I typically drink a boxed wine, if that indicates my standards. I recently tried a couple bottles of pinot niore (spelling?) at under $20 a bottle and it was very good. I cringe at prices much higher and wonder how much better they could be.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I know what I like with reds. Whites I’m not so educated on. I was introduced to Vino Verde, an inexpensive table wine. Austrian and Alsace wine which I enjoyed but it’s been years since I drifted from wine. Rose’ I have no idea where to start? I had a sparkling Shiraz once that was re good but I don’t see any locally.

I’m no expert but I think you need to ask the teacher whether they like dry or sweeter wine at least. Maybe ask for a favorite bottle? You could always get a gift certificate to one of the wine shops you mentioned.

I know what I like with reds. Whites I’m not so educated on. I was introduced to Vino Verde, an inexpensive table wine. Austrian and Alsace wine which I enjoyed but it’s been years since I drifted from wine. Rose’ I have no idea where to start? I had a sparkling Shiraz once that was re good but I don’t see any locally.
Dry Riesling or Grüner Veltliner are still as good as they were a couple of years ago. So if you feel comfortable with these varietals then go for it!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
New World whites tend to be more fruit driven, with more body and higher in alcohol; with some exceptions Old World wines tend to be lighter and have a more subtle flavour. I no longer drink alcohol but when I did one of my favourite white wines was Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc from the Marlborough region of New Zealand. It is very fruit forward with, for me, a pronounced pineapple flavour, a bit like Creed Aventus in wine form. You can enjoy it young or lay down for up to ten years. German white wines have traditionally been among the best bargains, usually going from dry Kabinett, through medium Spätlese, to the sweeter Auslese classification. They are not as popular as French or Italian and tend to be better value for money. I always thought French wines were rather over rated. Good luck 👍

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Bubbles are always festive. Two of my favorites are Sokol Blosser Bluebird and Argyle Brut, both from Oregon. The SB is super accessible with a little grapefruit on the palate, but my Total Wine doesn't stock it. Argyle also makes a pink bubbly that is really good. Vinho verde can be spectacular fun, but I have also had a few that were much too sweet, in a bubble gum sort of way.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I must admit that I know little about rose’, but I do know a lot of folks that enjoy Chateau St. Michelle and Erath, especially around this time of year. Both are nice and light and fruity without getting overly sweet (and neither will break the bank).

Just an aside-- From my purely anecdotal observations, many folks who says they "like it all" when it comes to wine probably are casual drinkers who tend to enjoy wine that is on the lighter, fruitier side--and if not "light" then more sweet. Most folks who want something more than that often will tell you a grape, a region, or a label. That's hardly 100% reliable advice (and worth only what you paid for it). She could just be very gracious.

I’m no expert but I think you need to ask the teacher whether they like dry or sweeter wine at least. Maybe ask for a favorite bottle? You could always get a gift certificate to one of the wine shops you mentioned.
I really like the gift certificate option. I know it's not personal, but gives a lot of options. You could always select one of your favorites for the teacher to try, and provide a card for them to pick up whatever THEIR favorite(s) are. Outside of that, I'd probably consider something local as an option. Teachers, in my experience, tend to like supporting their communities.

total wine gift certificate would be great!
also, how about some wine goblets?
with summer coming, the 'govino' stemless plastic goblets could be well-appreciated.
they will be remembered long after a bottle of wine might be gone!

proxy.php

Hi. A collection of wines, like any other, is primarily a hobby. Owning a collection of elite wines creates a certain image, emphasizes respectability and impeccable taste. Such investments can bring tangible financial returns. Every collector dreams of adding to his collection of Best Wine Brands. Visit this site, I think you will be able to find exactly the wine that you do not have yet.

I also vote for a Total Wine gift certificate. I have given up trying to predict what a person will like. Some folks say they like dry wine because they heard that is what the "better wines" are. However, when they taste a dry red often they will not like it. One possible choice is a bottle of Chandon sparkling rose. Total Wine carries it. It is a nice wine at a good price point - less than $20 - and it is extremely popular.

proxy.php

Although it is a Brut Rose it is not as dry, IMHO, as their sparkling white.

Total Wine also carries some excellent Wineries Direct wines that are excellent values. The personnel in their stores can give you some additional ideas.

Top Bottom