What's new

winding down the liquor cabinet

Boy, you end up with some "odd ends" once you stop restocking and start thinking about "drinking down" to empty.

Tonight:

Highball glass with ice.

Oz each of

XO brandy
Benedictine
Gran Marnier
Kalua
Topped with cream

I'm going to have to google this. It's not bad so must have a name

proxy.php

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Poison?

Hell on high water?

Death in a highball?

White Frankenstein?

Sleep Aid?

Pain in a Night Cap?

What ever it is called (or to forever remain nameless), don't drink more than one of these.

Taste like desert but with 4 shots per glass it packs a wallop.

Gran Marnier and brandy could be used for cooking / desserts as a alternative.

Typically I use the brandy in hot chocolate where it really shines.

Gran Mariner is used in icing for my carrot cake in place of vanilla extract.

I'm just trying to find a faster way to use up the odd stuff. Don't want to move it and couldn't pour it out as SWMBO has threatened to do.

What I'd have to do to use them up:
I use Gran Mariner in Sabayon and lemon custards for a light desert over fresh berries.
Brandy goes in all pan sauces (albeit, XO is a bit haut cuisine).
Kalua and cream (and brandy) for this weekend's college football tailgater.
I'm at a complete loss for what to do with the Benedictine.

Benedictine always seemed to cause me a huge histamine reaction upon imbibing, something in the list of botanicals; sorry I don't have a good answer for creative deserts here. It 'should' perform very well though in sauces with fruits, in cakes with fruit toppings, a special taste in whipped cream.
I'll always consider it a shame we don't agree, it could have been a grand relationship.

Mick, the Benedictine, cognac, and Marnier actually sounds pretty good. Benedictine with its spices and herbs would make a nice accompanyment to the orange. Who doesn't like spiced orange going into autumn? And both mix well with cognac. Now the Kahlua? Hmm. Too many connotatiins of drunk college kids attempting to be the Dude. For me it goes into coffee.

...Now the Kahlua? Hmm. Too many connotatiins of drunk college kids attempting to be the Dude. For me it goes into coffee.
I'll second that; yet, it doesn't seem quite all it could be without a touch of Irish Cream to make that coffee with half & half.

Top Bottom