What's new

wind-up (clockwork) G.I. razor

About 10 years ago I read an interview with a British D-Day veteran who had used the same wind-up "electric" style razors (with a clockwork mechanism) since he was given it by a GI in WW2 fifty years earlier. I seem to recall it was US Government Issue.

Anyone seen or got one?

Sounds like a great bit of kit.

just a bump for this before I let it drop

(I know, it's not a safety razor. But 50 years!)

I can't imagine anything mechanical made is the USSR lasting 50 years of daily physical use.

Trust me, I've been there.

:lol:

I have a couple windup razors that are styled like an electric. One is the Ohnestrom Volks Shaver, which later became known as "The Razor That Went To The Moon," when it was sold for about $20 via Wall Street Journal and other advertisements. Another is the Swiss-made Thorens Riviera. I'd be surprised if that was issued to GIs and I'd be surprised if the German-made Volks shaver was. It might've been a Rolls Viceroy, made by the Rolls Razor company, but that's more of a pump action, rather than windup mechanism.

Here's a nifty website with pictures of these interesting contraptions.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks, I had no idea.

Erudolph do own all those on that linked page?

And is there anything Guido doesn't know?

"every day is a school day"

Last edited:
I have a couple windup razors that are styled like an electric. One is the Ohnestrom Volks Shaver, which later became known as "The Razor That Went To The Moon," when it was sold for about $20 via Wall Street Journal and other advertisements. Another is the Swiss-made Thorens Riviera. I'd be surprised if that was issued to GIs and I'd be surprised if the German-made Volks shaver was. It might've been a Rolls Viceroy, made by the Rolls Razor company, but that's more of a pump action, rather than windup mechanism.

Here's a nifty website with pictures of these interesting contraptions.
Hello, very interesting, I just recently purchased a Volks Shaver and it has been difficult locating any information on this shaver. I have a couple of questions: 1. I have a round blue ball handle that assists to pull the string to wind the shaver motor, is that correct or did someone attach this device to make the shaver work. 2. would love to get a hold of a manual instruction booklet for this shaver, anyone have one, or last least a copy of one. The Thorsen has a nice chrome handle the Volks has this funny looking round ball. Any information would be greatly appreciated, Ohnestrom means no electricity in German is what I have been told. thanks crazy41buick

Last edited:
I can't imagine anything mechanical made is the USSR lasting 50 years of daily physical use.

Trust me, I've been there.

:lol:

if the russians can build a tank that can sit in a lake in estonia for over 50 years then have it's engine started after some cleaning and minor repairs (and obviously some fresh fuel) i'd think they could build a razor that could still work after 50 years

if the russians can build a tank that can sit in a lake in estonia for over 50 years then have it's engine started after some cleaning and minor repairs (and obviously some fresh fuel) i'd think they could build a razor that could still work after 50 years

i have a volks shaver made by ohnestrom (pull cord) and i have 1 just by ohnestrom the volks has a metal case the ohnestrom case is bakelite plastic both are the same shape but the volks is bigger in size i also have a battery powered volks shaver that takes the same cutting blades

Top Bottom