What's new

Winchester; then & now

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I thought it might be fun to take a look at two Winchester shotguns; my model 12 that was made in 1927 and my SXP that was likely made last year.

proxy.php

They are both 20 Gauge since about all I've ever considered has been doves and nolegs. They are very similar in overall length and weight but quite different in feel and function.

The main newer SXP has a 3" chamber and chokes that can be user changed while the model 12 is a 2¾" chamber with a fixed modified choke. Right now both are modified choke and I have shot far more 2¾" through the SXP than 3" since that was what I had on hand. I do have some 3" now though and if things improve and I actually get out during dove season I'll try both to see what differences result. Frankly, most doves don't really pay any attention to me regardless of what I carry or use. It's embarrassing when the doves just continue feeding even when you are close enough to swing at them.

I swear they laugh.

proxy.php

There are some substantial differences though. The model 12 is a product of hand crafting while the SXP is 100% machine. It really shows in the fit & finish where the model 12 is complex curves and surfaces that feel like they were made for my exact hand while the SXP is sharp angles and flat surfaces and stamped sheet metal rather than forged pieces parts. The model 12 is maple where the SXP is "Hard Wood" whatever that might be.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Takedown might be just slightly easier on the model 12 than the SXP but neither is difficult. Cleaning and maintenance are also pretty comparable.

The model 12 does seem to point more naturally than the SXP but that is mainly I believe a matter of familiarity. It's the old pair of jeans that fit just right versus the new ones that are not quite there yet. Also while they are almost exactly the same overall length, the model 12 has a 28" barrel and the SXP only 26".

Long term repair will likely go to the SXP. Since it is made of interchangeable pieces parts rather than hand fit one offs it should have an advantage. The SXP also has three different chokes and a 3" chamber and so suited for a far wider range of use than the model 12.

Summing up; both reflect the period when made; one old world post WWI craftsmanship and one modern computer aided manufacturing; one a work of art and the other a tool.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The model 12 is Walnut. Dumb me!
It is beautiful....so is the other one I suppose, but it's definitely more... utilitarian looking.

I always wonder what "hardwood" means today. My woods have tons and tons of Poplar trees. Anything that grows that fast ain't hard in my opinion. There's a reason I call it "Go fer" wood!

I like a Model 12. I carried one at work early in my career...I wouldn't mind a nice Trap model now even though I probably wouldn't use it.

Nice comparison. Love the dark patches on the wood where it has been handled so much. I have a lot of very old wooden wood planes that I use. I love the patina that develops from use on hardwood.

The only winchesters I own are a model 70, bought around 2012 so it was made in South Carolina, 2 94's and a 73. The levers are made in Japan, but I will say they are very nice guns. The only issue I had was the 73. It was one of the early ones and it had some headspacing problems. This doesn't appear uncommon.

The 94's are my favorites, accurate and 30-30 out of a non-microgroove barrel is a reloader's paradise.

As far as the model 70, it is a featherweight in 30-06. That gun has been awesome, can't really complain. I have since had it worked over to accurize it further, but it was around 1" when I bought it and is now down to .75". For the original $700, I can't complain at all.

Generally I have been happy with Winchester in its modern form. Yep, they don't make them like they used to, but there are still some great models out there.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Frankly, most doves don't really pay any attention to me regardless of what I carry or use.
I miss dove hunting in Central Texas. First day of the season it seems like I’d shoot a case of shells and maybe get 1/2 my limit. Someone once told me that if you can hit white wings regularly you can hit anything that flys.
Your Model 12 is looks great. My hunting buddy Texas had one that was a early 60s in 12g that had been his fathers.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I miss dove hunting in Central Texas. First day of the season it seems like I’d shoot a case of shells and maybe get 1/2 my limit. Someone once told me that if you can hit white wings regularly you can hit anything that flys.
Your Model 12 is looks great. My hunting buddy Texas had one that was a early 60s in 12g that had been his fathers.
Doves have been known to fly hundreds of miles to huddle around me for safety.

Top Bottom