What's new

Willy’s DE blades from India

Super excited to share my feedback on this blade on my AFFCC 2021 challenge thread !

My guess, based on the description, particularly relative to the Gillette-Wilkinson blades, is that they are rebranded Laser Ultras, or some Laser variation.

Laser Ultras came out in India about 10 years ago, and were sharper and smoother than the G-W, while also cheaper. Nothing else in India could compare, aside from some more expensive Gillette blades. Nothing.

The Laser Ultras have done a remarkably good job of maintaining the same quality over the years, and blade to blade quality control.

P&G responded by making the G-W sharper, but the longevity plummeted, and quality control is not perfect: about 1 in 10 is a dud.

The end result: Laser Ultras are a bit sharper generally and significantly smoother but are only good for a few shaves, but G-W can be a bit more aggressively sharp, particularly if you get the Chinese made version. And the price is still about the same: inexpensive, thanks to the competition.

Since few outside of India have heard of Laser, it makes sense that they are allowing their blades to be rebranded, particularly by Pearl.

However, I could be wrong, and have not tried the Willy's, which I would be curious to try. But, frankly, I've got four brands that I am completely satisfied with, and Laser is one of them. Laser is the blade I use to test new razors and shave creams, because it is so consistent, and not so extremely sharp that any razor or shave cream would seem good.

Another upvote for the Willy’s blade. Just had my second shave with this blade in my Pearl razor and it was better than my go to Rapira Platinum Lux. Great combination of smooth and efficient as verified by my alum block. No sting at all. Will buy more of these.

My guess, based on the description, particularly relative to the Gillette-Wilkinson blades, is that they are rebranded Laser Ultras, or some Laser variation.

Laser Ultras came out in India about 10 years ago, and were sharper and smoother than the G-W, while also cheaper. Nothing else in India could compare, aside from some more expensive Gillette blades. Nothing.

The Laser Ultras have done a remarkably good job of maintaining the same quality over the years, and blade to blade quality control.

P&G responded by making the G-W sharper, but the longevity plummeted, and quality control is not perfect: about 1 in 10 is a dud.

The end result: Laser Ultras are a bit sharper generally and significantly smoother but are only good for a few shaves, but G-W can be a bit more aggressively sharp, particularly if you get the Chinese made version. And the price is still about the same: inexpensive, thanks to the competition.

Since few outside of India have heard of Laser, it makes sense that they are allowing their blades to be rebranded, particularly by Pearl.

However, I could be wrong, and have not tried the Willy's, which I would be curious to try. But, frankly, I've got four brands that I am completely satisfied with, and Laser is one of them. Laser is the blade I use to test new razors and shave creams, because it is so consistent, and not so extremely sharp that any razor or shave cream would seem good.
Lazer is made by a different company altogether. Pearl is not the only seller of Willy's.

I also use Lazer ultra from time to time. Both are different blades. The quality and finish of steel is definitely different.

I will post photos later.

Also checked, Pearl is just picking up market blades like Willys, and Glatz. Earlier it was super max and Gillette wilikinson sword.

Laser Ultras are a huge seller across India

Lazer is made by a different company altogether. Pearl is not the only seller of Willy's.

I also use Lazer ultra from time to time. Both are different blades. The quality and finish of steel is definitely different.

I will post photos later.

Also checked, Pearl is just picking up market blades like Willys, and Glatz. Earlier it was super max and Gillette wilikinson sword.

Laser Ultras are a huge seller across India

I stand corrected. Thank you.

My assumption with secondary brands is that the name of the maker on the package or website is often a reseller, rather than the actual manufacturer, which can be difficult to track down online. But you are closer to the source and more knowledgeable.

Any insights into the manufacturing source and quality of Vi-John DE blades?

I used to see "made with Swedish steel" on the packaging of some Indian blades. Do you know what sources of steel they are using now, and does it make a significant difference in quality? There used to be two grades of Swedish steel, but they seem to have dropped the higher grade, so I'm not sure it is anything to brag about, anymore. I suppose this could be its own thread, or is there one, already?

My assumption with secondary brands is that the name of the maker on the package or website is often a reseller, rather than the actual manufacturer, which can be difficult to track down online. But you are closer to the source and more knowledgeable.

I used to see "made with Swedish steel" on the packaging of some Indian blades. Do you know what sources of steel they are using now, and does it make a significant difference in quality? There used to be two grades of Swedish steel, but they seem to have dropped the higher grade, so I'm not sure it is anything to brag about, anymore. I suppose this could be its own thread, or is there one, already?

Regarding Willy's, they are not vendor exclusive nor re branded which can be made out from the manufacturing information on the tuck as well as the saloon pack. Blades for legal sale in the Indian market need to carry that information along with the Maximum Retail Price (MRP) in Indian Rupees. I agree with you on the outsourced manufacturing. A number of blades will will say Marketed by and Manufactured by on Indian blades. That would depend on the arrangement or nature of contract. Outsourced exclusive or captive manufacturing contracts are common for goods made and sold in India.

I see Willy's blades sold as blanks by the thousands (which means they will rebrand them most probably) on a commercial international Indian goods sourcing site in India called Indiamart.com

I have not seen Vi-John blades available for sale locally where I am nor online - hence have no idea. I have seen them only on the ItalianBarber website ever.

Regarding your question on Swedish Steel - I do not know if one steel source or grade makes a difference in taking an edge and retaining it. Perhaps a more knowledgeable member or any metallurgist among us or manufacturing dealing with stainless steel instruments can comment.

I find that various Gillette made and branded, SuperMax, Lazer, Willy's, blades from Russia, Egypt or Turkey or Japan seem plenty sharp too.

The Rockwell blades claim to be made from Swedish steel and members have mixed experience of using them. So go figure !:eek2:

Last edited:
A few months ago I received a pack in the box of a Pearl open comb razor instead of the usual Wilkinson Sword pack. Haven't tried them as I have so many new blades to try. I remember reading somewhere these go south pretty quick. 2 shaves and gone, or something like that.

I bought 4 packs of willys (10 blades of bonus per pack) for about $3 from the razor company. I tried one in my rex ambassador yesterday for a dome shave and I've gotta say, it was very comfortable. I used setting 3 for all 3 passes and for pick ups. Resulted in BBS with zero nics and zero alum block feedback. Very comfortable. I was VERY surprised.
Even if you use one and done, they're cheap as hell.
proxy.php

- Fayiz D.

I guess another curio store down the street ! ;)
Nope. An Internet site/forum. It was when I started searching for those unknown blades after receiving them.
P.S. I found it. It was the Against the Grain forum. Not sure if we can post links from other forums, but you can easily find it. The user in post #11 says shave #2 wasn't as good as the first one, and supposes they might be a "one shave wonder".

Last edited:
hey people just came across these de blades on ebay uk, how would you lot rate them? never heard of them before seems like theyre from india i think

M

Member 113878

Had my first shave with a Willy's blade this morning in a GC 0.68SB and it was really great!
Ultra-smooth, no blade feel, no irritation, very efficient!
Will get more of these!

I had my first experience with a Willy's blade a month ago, mounted in a Fatip Picollo Originale. I used this combo for five shaves until I received a brand new Fatip Wood Ulivo Originale. I used the new razor with a KAI blade. I must say my third shave with the KAI was less than comfortable. A few weepers and not BBS.
So today, instead of putting a new blade in the Fatip Wood, I decided to give the Willy's another go. Shave nr. 6 with a cheapy blade. Two passes with some touch ups under the chin (my problem area) resulting in a 100% BBS, no weepers and a great after shave skin feel. How's that possible?

I had my first experience with a Willy's blade a month ago, mounted in a Fatip Picollo Originale. I used this combo for five shaves until I received a brand new Fatip Wood Ulivo Originale. I used the new razor with a KAI blade. I must say my third shave with the KAI was less than comfortable. A few weepers and not BBS.
So today, instead of putting a new blade in the Fatip Wood, I decided to give the Willy's another go. Shave nr. 6 with a cheapy blade. Two passes with some touch ups under the chin (my problem area) resulting in a 100% BBS, no weepers and a great after shave skin feel. How's that possible?
I was meant to be.

Here in Zim it is almost normal for every household to have a chicken coop with some chickens and roosters. Free range chickens here are called roadrunners and are highly regarded for the well developed taste. We once had one beautiful rooster with a nice character, always defending the ladies in the coop. Animals with character deserve a name. The rooster was called Ben. Whereas all the other chickens sooner or later ended up on the stove, out of respect, we allowed Ben to retire and he died a natural death. We burried him in the garden.

About the Willy's blade... I had my 9th shave with the very same Willy's blade. Still very comfortable and still BBS. Never had a similar result with any other blade, not even a Feather... Out of respect, I think I'll bury the blade instead of throwing it in the bin. I'm not stupid enough to give it a name though ;-)

Top Bottom