What's new

Willow it make a good bowl?

I believe it to be a piece from a dying Willow (which also has some five burls to harvest). It was hard boring, lots of smoke, no charring.

It is a bit of deadfall from a storm that carries significant meaning to me, so I wanted to save a piece and make something of it. If I think it’ll burn through or won be suitable for smoking, it can become a
razor stand.

Silly idea, or run with it? Never made a pipe before... no real woodworking tools to speak of. Basic carpentry at best.
39D75EEE-1094-4459-B803-12449466FBDE.jpeg
DBB45E8A-1BD4-4B49-8C11-188899265F7B.jpeg
979A5650-DFBA-4D91-9147-EF80CAE872F3.jpeg
7F05E384-513A-4E50-8235-9E2FB647F722.jpeg

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I think @Mike H is probably the best person to tackle this question as I'm pretty sure he's made a functional pipe from a broken toilet. I'd worry about the cracks.

My suggestion would be to make that razor stand. If you really like the pipe idea, it would make a very pretty pipe stand or rest. It would turn into a beautiful caddy in your smoking lounge.

I don't know much about willow, I haven't had the chance to work with it much. I don't know what kinds of sap is in it, how hard or soft, or aging requirements.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I can't say about the safety aspect of smoking from willow, but would guess the risk is less than that of tobacco.
To make it more stable, you can use superglue and willow dust to fill the voids on the outside (only) of the bowl.
The other problem is that it would burn out pretty quick if smoked often. If you had a burnout, and started to burn the CA glue, then that would be a health issue. To mitigate that issue, you could line the bowl with pipe mud, as an added layer of protection, or even buy a meerschaum liner. Vermont freehand has some in stock right now.

I think a razor stand would be a better fit. Good luck what ever you decide.

Top Bottom