What's new

Williams Tonsorial Shaving Soap

BC0221E0-5BFD-46D0-8C08-3FE782DF1157.jpeg

I bought this in a lot on Saturday, is it much different than vintage Williams? I suppose I could test them against each other to find out! This one still has a nice soapy lemony scent.

How would you rank them(standard vintage Williams, tonsorial, and current production)?

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I can not do a comparison between vintage or new, never tried new. There is always a mug of vintage Williams in rotation, as is a mug of Old Spice. They my be old school, put the preform well. You will enjoy

A5996691-2257-43A0-BE6F-CF4B0B2E2EDD.jpeg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hey Matt, I’ve been using Williams off and on since the mid 1960s and while the formulation has changed many times I’ve never noticed any significant difference. Perhaps aging improves it like a fine cheese but I have a hard time with the “vintage” deal. I don’t find the current iteration particularly difficult to lather and it is slick as owl poop. Maybe we old timers just lathered better lol.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Inter-esting ... shaved Williams yesterday, no problems. Was the puck I added oakmoss essential oil to.

A fine score.

AA

I am so jealous. Where do you guys get all this good stuff? LOL. Seriously, I wouldn't mind getting me some of this Williams love.

proxy.php

Many lament that Williams soap is no longer any good, but I take issue with that. The trick, at least for me, is to pour very hot water on the puck in a bowl & cover. I then shower and upon exit I drain the water and lather with a synthetic brush. The lather is luxuriant and does not dry out on my face. As well, I get top rate cushion & glide from it. Now if you're one of those Nancy boys looking for post-shave "face feel" then forget it. This soap was made starting in 1840 for true frontiersman. Men who wore rawhide drawers and picked their teeth with musket flints. ;)

Top Bottom