What's new

Williams puck........it’s official I’m a member

Hi,

Welcome to the Williams Club! There is a pretty good number of us here that like it and get great shaves with it. I will admit it took a few runs at it for me to learn how to get it work properly for me. But once I figured it out, it's as easy to lather as any other soap I have.

Of all the soaps I have or have had, Williams seems to be the only one I get fixated on when I put it in my rotation. It's sometimes hard for me to put it away.

45 years ago Colgate and Williams were sold in the drugstore. Those were the only pucks available. I liked one more than the other. Darn if I can remember which.

Mac
It's what my grandfather used, the Williams brand. He also used the Aqua Velva, my all time favorite. I just wish they made a better soap today. I'm sticking with the VDH for now.....the cheap person I am.

I like it, I can whip up a good lather, no prob. I like the smell, it's simple honest soap that just works for me. Used it 2 nights ago, giving Poraso Green cream a go now though.

Williams is my favorite by far, you can spend alot more but you won’t get any better shaves then you will with Williams. One thing you’ll notice on this forum that if you like Williams the haters will crawl out of the woodwork to tell you how wrong you are, ignore them and live a happy life enjoying Williams.

I suspect that you consider me to be one of the Williams haters who crawl out of the woodwork, but that is not the case. Everyone has different preferences in soaps and scents. I understand that your needs and preferences might not agree with mine.

Over my 5 decades of shaving, I have shaved using many different products including canned foams and gels, bar soaps, shampoos and conditioners, latherless creams, mug soaps, traditional British soaps and creams, Italian croaps, and artisan soaps. If you consider Williams to be the best soap currently available, you have not tried as many products as I have.

Over the past year, I have started keeping a database of soaps that I have tried and evaluate every one based on scientific (admittedly subjective) criteria. I evaluate every one I use based on scent strength, scent preference, ease of loading, ease of lathering, slickness, residual slickness, cushion/protectiveness (I have sensitive skin and shave with a straight razor, so that is important to me), and post shave face feel (again, with sensitive skin, I want my skin to feel good after I shave). From those criteria, every soap/cream I use is given an overall score. I currently have ratings on 60 products using 25 different formulations.

Williams mug soap has a very light scent and it smells "soapy". Thus, for me, it receives low scores both for scent strength and scent preference. However, if you like unscented or lightly scented soaps, this might be perfect for you.

The primary ingredient in Williams is sodium tallowate. Thus, it is a tallow-based soap, which I usually prefer over vegan soaps. However, since sodium hydroxide is the primary saponification agent, the soap is quite hard. Like most hard soaps, it is somewhat more difficult to load and lather than softer soaps, croaps, and creams. For me, it only gets average scores in this category. That may not be important to you.

By the way, when I evaluated Mitchel's Wool Fat soap, I also found it to be difficult to load and lather and did not care for the mild scent. I mailed the soap to a friend who loves MWF and won't use anything else. MWF does rate quite well on slickness, residual slickness, cushion, and post shave feel. If you have not tried it, I suggest you do so. You might love it as much as my friend. However, if you are allergic to lanolin, avoid MWF.

Williams does rate well on the factor of slickness. It is not the slickest soap in my den, but it has sufficient slickness for a decent shave. However, the soap fails to provide a thick protective cushion and there is little residual slickness after your razor passes over the skin. Thus, I give it reduced marks for residual slickness and cushion. If you have tough skin, or shave with a mild razor, that may not be important to you. Since I use a straight razor, both are important criteria.

Finally, there is post shave feel. Williams does contain sodium cocoate (cocoa butter) and glycerine. That does help with post shave feel. Recently, artisans have really focused on making your face feel moisturized and nourished after the shave. With my sensitive skin, that is important to me. To me, Williams rates as average in post shave feel. If I use Williams, I have to use some type of aftershave balm to moisturize the skin. Again, if your skin is not sensitive, or if you routinely use aftershave lotions or balms, that might not be important to you.

Thus, based on my criteria, William's is an average soap. It achieves above average marks on slickness and below average marks on scent, but overall is average.

If your primary criteria for shaving soap is a low price, one soap you might consider is Yardley of London. They have a bar soap called Cocoa Butter Naturally Moisturizing Bath Bar. It contains tallow, glycerine, cocoa butter, shea butter, and vitamin E. Even though it is not marketed as a shaving soap, the ingredient list rivals some artisan shave soaps. I have used it for shaving and would rate it higher than Williams, especially on scent and post shave feel. It is not as good as my better artisan soaps, but it might be the best value shave soap, even if it is not sold as a shaving product. You can purchase eight 4.25 oz bars of Yardley on Amazon for $10.52. That works out to $0.31 per ounce. If you want to use the Yardley with your shave mug, you can grate the soap with a cheese grater and press it into your mug. Pick up a bar at your local pharmacy or discount store and compare it to Williams.

You can purchase 6 pucks of Williams (1.75 oz/puck) for $12.43. That works out to $1.18 per ounce. Thus, while inexpensive, Williams is a lot more expensive than Yardley if you buy in bulk.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Welcome to our wacky hobby. I can't imagine how ecstatic you'll feel when you try something really good.

We always say on this forum "YMMV" when it comes to blades but it's funny how when you get talking to people the same really applies to scents as well.

Williams lathers fine for me and gives me a great shave but the truth is the smell nearly makes me gag. It smells like mosquito repelling citronella candles to me. (No disrespect intended of course! I'm sure I own and like soaps that other people find repellent. Heck, I WISH I liked the smell of Williams because really it offers incredible value)
This. Could barely get the shave done the scent was so much.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Im in too! Found a puck at a grocery in Vancouver for$1.79
Haven't tried it yet

based on the comments above i may wait until i at the home den to play with it

I suspect that you consider me to be one of the Williams haters who crawl out of the woodwork, but that is not the case. Everyone has different preferences in soaps and scents. I understand that your needs and preferences might not agree with mine.

Over my 5 decades of shaving, I have shaved using many different products including canned foams and gels, bar soaps, shampoos and conditioners, latherless creams, mug soaps, traditional British soaps and creams, Italian croaps, and artisan soaps. If you consider Williams to be the best soap currently available, you have not tried as many products as I have.

Over the past year, I have started keeping a database of soaps that I have tried and evaluate every one based on scientific (admittedly subjective) criteria. I evaluate every one I use based on scent strength, scent preference, ease of loading, ease of lathering, slickness, residual slickness, cushion/protectiveness (I have sensitive skin and shave with a straight razor, so that is important to me), and post shave face feel (again, with sensitive skin, I want my skin to feel good after I shave). From those criteria, every soap/cream I use is given an overall score. I currently have ratings on 60 products using 25 different formulations.

Williams mug soap has a very light scent and it smells "soapy". Thus, for me, it receives low scores both for scent strength and scent preference. However, if you like unscented or lightly scented soaps, this might be perfect for you.

The primary ingredient in Williams is sodium tallowate. Thus, it is a tallow-based soap, which I usually prefer over vegan soaps. However, since sodium hydroxide is the primary saponification agent, the soap is quite hard. Like most hard soaps, it is somewhat more difficult to load and lather than softer soaps, croaps, and creams. For me, it only gets average scores in this category. That may not be important to you.

By the way, when I evaluated Mitchel's Wool Fat soap, I also found it to be difficult to load and lather and did not care for the mild scent. I mailed the soap to a friend who loves MWF and won't use anything else. MWF does rate quite well on slickness, residual slickness, cushion, and post shave feel. If you have not tried it, I suggest you do so. You might love it as much as my friend. However, if you are allergic to lanolin, avoid MWF.

Williams does rate well on the factor of slickness. It is not the slickest soap in my den, but it has sufficient slickness for a decent shave. However, the soap fails to provide a thick protective cushion and there is little residual slickness after your razor passes over the skin. Thus, I give it reduced marks for residual slickness and cushion. If you have tough skin, or shave with a mild razor, that may not be important to you. Since I use a straight razor, both are important criteria.

Finally, there is post shave feel. Williams does contain sodium cocoate (cocoa butter) and glycerine. That does help with post shave feel. Recently, artisans have really focused on making your face feel moisturized and nourished after the shave. With my sensitive skin, that is important to me. To me, Williams rates as average in post shave feel. If I use Williams, I have to use some type of aftershave balm to moisturize the skin. Again, if your skin is not sensitive, or if you routinely use aftershave lotions or balms, that might not be important to you.

Thus, based on my criteria, William's is an average soap. It achieves above average marks on slickness and below average marks on scent, but overall is average.

If your primary criteria for shaving soap is a low price, one soap you might consider is Yardley of London. They have a bar soap called Cocoa Butter Naturally Moisturizing Bath Bar. It contains tallow, glycerine, cocoa butter, shea butter, and vitamin E. Even though it is not marketed as a shaving soap, the ingredient list rivals some artisan shave soaps. I have used it for shaving and would rate it higher than Williams, especially on scent and post shave feel. It is not as good as my better artisan soaps, but it might be the best value shave soap, even if it is not sold as a shaving product. You can purchase eight 4.25 oz bars of Yardley on Amazon for $10.52. That works out to $0.31 per ounce. If you want to use the Yardley with your shave mug, you can grate the soap with a cheese grater and press it into your mug. Pick up a bar at your local pharmacy or discount store and compare it to Williams.

You can purchase 6 pucks of Williams (1.75 oz/puck) for $12.43. That works out to $1.18 per ounce. Thus, while inexpensive, Williams is a lot more expensive than Yardley if you buy in bulk.

So since you don’t like Williams, no one should and you can prove it.

Don't see it mentioned but there is a very informative/fun group called WISE under the Club/Brotherhood sub forum. Check it out

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I went ahead and used the puck today. Could find a small Pyrex glass bowl to use about as 1/2 as much bigger than the puck so i beat on it loading my boar brush and whipping up a bowl lather at the same time
got a good lather up. Enough for 3 passes. I found that i liked the scent. The lather had a soap / disappearing feel. Ok cushion. Ok slickness. On the whole it was ok! Good after face feel no cut sh ave.
totally worth $2

It's what my grandfather used, the Williams brand. He also used the Aqua Velva, my all time favorite. I just wish they made a better soap today. I'm sticking with the VDH for now.....the cheap person I am.
I’m the same way, frugal.
VdH is very decent soap to say the least. I’ve gotten great shaves with it!

I think the biggest trick to lathering Williams is to not let it dry out. If you use it day after day, it should not be too hard. If you use it in rotation with 47 other soaps, it may dry out.

I shred the puck with a cheese grater and mix it with a bit of water, until it's more of a croap.
(In that photo I had mixed in a bit of Brut aftershave, hence the slight green tinge. I won't be doing that again any time soon)

Then I either store it in a container with a tight-fitting lid, or (more usually) stuff it into an empty glue stick or deodorant container.
It's a great stick soap for face-lathering, and even crappily-made lather works well.
As far as the scent goes, I can barely tell it has a scent at all. Far better than Arko's scent.

I like Williams. As said before, it may take a bit of practice to get it to whip up into the perfect foam, but it CAN be done. Someone else said to keep using it to keep it soft. This is a great idea and works well. I shave every day and find that the softer glycerin soaps just dont last. Yes they do leave a bit more "slickness" after the first razor pass, but I am not so sure it makes enough of a difference to matter. Plus I like the very light scent. It does not clash with the aftershave of the day. Williams is a good (not great) soap that gets the job done at a good price.

Williams is my favourite soap. Arko and Palmolive are close seconds. I have very soft water that makes any soap lather like crazy. Apparently, Williams can be difficult to lather in hard water. If the price tripled, I'd still buy it. (after I use up my sizeable stash!)

So since you don’t like Williams, no one should and you can prove it.

I never said that I did not like Williams. I only said that I have found many soaps that I like better than Williams because they perform better for my beard and skin and have better scents to my nose. If anyone wants to use Williams (or any other product) that is fine by me. Your needs and preferences are different than mine. Just don't make the sweeping claim that you "won’t get any better shaves then you will with Williams" until you have compared it to a wide variety of other products.

Can I get a decent shave using Williams? Certainly. Do I enjoy the shave more with products that have better scents, a richer, denser, slicker, more protective lather and better face feel afterward? Absolutely!

I used to think Williams, VDH, DR Harris, TOBS, Trumper, Truefitt & Hill, Proraso, Pre de Provence, etc. were great products until I started comparing them to some of the modern artisan soaps. Once I started evaluating the products critically, I began to recognize the factors that define an outstanding soap. I still shave with all of the products, but I would rather shave with the ones that surpass the rest.
By the way, even though I have some wonderful soaps, I am still evaluating others to see if there are any out there that are even better.

45 years ago Colgate and Williams were sold in the drugstore. Those were the only pucks available. I liked one more than the other. Darn if I can remember which.

Mac

Showing my age here, but I remember too. My preference was Colgate.

That said, I have figured out how to lather Williams, and enjoy it. Sadly, Colgate is no longer available.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
So as I’ve embarked down this road of daily wet shaving, I’ve bought a few of the staples that many in this community call must haves. Well last week at the grocery store I saw they had Williams on their shelves for $1.29 I thought why in the hell not right!

Fast forward to today, I broke the new soap in, and man the smell is pretty awesome! It lathered right up for me, no issues at all. I used a badger brush as recommended here by many. I guess my point is that I now feel like a real community member. And I have a feeling that this puck of Williams might just be a regular item that I always have in my soap bowl.

How many of you here are using Williams daily?
I no longer use it daily but have. I’ve used it off and on since the 1960’s. The scent keeps me coming back. It is an adequatey performing solid shave soap and I always have a puck in a tin ready to go. I now only shave with a straight razor and it is perfectly good for that too. If you end up not liking it, it makes a great shower or hand soap.

It’s one of those staple items that I think a lot of us have, have used, and or have bought. To me I feel a little more legit when using it.

It’s seems to me like there is a lot of love here for it and that’s awesome!

Top Bottom