What's new

Williams Optimization Results with Photos

I have optimized Williams above optimized Barrister's Reserve, but below optimized B&M classic formula.

I’ve only scanned a few of these posts so I’m probably missing a key component of the process. Are you essentially using the same lathering technique for each product? I.e., the same brush, water, presoaking time, etc?

There are many of us who appreciate your efforts.

Thanks, Tom, and thanks again for the Williams and excellent advice. I'm going to keep going with optimizing soaps and creams, but I'm going to make things easier and not as frustrating as it has been at times.

I’ve only scanned a few of these posts so I’m probably missing a key component of the process. Are you essentially using the same lathering technique for each product? I.e., the same brush, water, presoaking time, etc?

My lather optimization guide covers a lot:

Lather Optimization Guide

It's not totally up-to-date, but optimization results are there. I should really rework that page. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Thanks, Tom, and thanks again for the Williams and excellent advice. I'm going to keep going with optimizing soaps and creams, but I'm going to make things easier and not as frustrating as it has been at times.

My lather optimization guide covers a lot:

Lather Optimization Guide

It's not totally up-to-date, but optimization results are there. I should really rework that page. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

I appreciate all the effort you put into this, but the Spock part of my brain is trying to figure out why our results are so different. I've "3017nd" a number of the products on your list and my preferences are darn near opposite of yours. My hunch is that the qualities you look for in an optimal lather are different than what I try for. Haslinger vs Williams I'll use as an example because they are two soaps I know very well. From what I gather it appears you found Williams to be slicker than Haslinger. I don't dispute your findings, and agree slickness is Williams best attribute, but I found Haslinger to be equally if not more slick than Williams, but only after a few weeks of use. It took me a while to figure out how thirsty Haslinger is. Well, I guess it just shows how different we all are.

I'm going to chalk it up to one of the mystery's of the shaving universe. Best of luck.

I

I appreciate all the effort you put into this, but the Spock part of my brain is trying to figure out why our results are so different. I've "3017nd" a number of the products on your list and my preferences are darn near opposite of yours. My hunch is that the qualities you look for in an optimal lather are different than what I try for. Haslinger vs Williams I'll use as an example because they are two soaps I know very well. From what I gather it appears you found Williams to be slicker than Haslinger. I don't dispute your findings, and agree slickness is Williams best attribute, but I found Haslinger to be equally if not more slick than Williams, but only after a few weeks of use. It took me a while to figure out how thirsty Haslinger is. Well, I guess it just shows how different we all are.

I'm going to chalk it up to one of the mystery's of the shaving universe. Best of luck.

Thanks, @snowman. My optimums sound different than yours, but things like this are expected. As to Williams versus Haslinger, here's what I wrote about Williams:

"Slickness generally decreased with increasing hydration, while post-shave quality generally increased with more hydration"

And here's what I wrote about Haslinger:

"In general, slickness increased, cushion/protection decreased, and post-shave decreased with increasing hydration."

Those different trends and other characteristics really affected the water-to-soap ratios and lather-building times that I found to be best for both soaps.

Top Bottom