What's new

Williams Mug

I thought I would give Williams Mug a try. I picked some up while I was at the grocery store. I didn't hold out much hope for it but I was pleasantly surprised this morning. It lathered up well, gave a nice slick shave, and I had a very smooth face afterwords. For being so cheap it is hard to beat. I looked at the ingredients and it contains Tallowsulfate. I assume it is a tallow based soap, maybe this is why it gives such great results. Anyone else enjoy using this soap?

Williams seems to garner a lot of discussion around here. I guess it's because it has huge fans and huge detractors. For such a low cost soap I think it is pretty amazing stuff. It's in a class by itself because it takes quite a bit of practice to really work up a good lather, but when you get it right it is really quite a nice soap to use. It also lends itself quite well to supercharging with a cream (I like to use Palmolive Brushless in just the right proportion) for a really good luscious whisker buster.

I used it daily for almost five years, than stopped about two years ago. I've picked it up again, using it every day this week, and wondering why I ever stopped.

Williams seems to garner a lot of discussion around here. I guess it's because it has huge fans and huge detractors. For such a low cost soap I think it is pretty amazing stuff. It's in a class by itself because it takes quite a bit of practice to really work up a good lather, but when you get it right it is really quite a nice soap to use. It also lends itself quite well to supercharging with a cream (I like to use Palmolive Brushless in just the right proportion) for a really good luscious whisker buster.

I'm always amazed when i read this....because i can make better lather, FASTER with Williams than i can with my Tabac puck. Maybe it's our water...
Too bad i don't like the Williams smell so much lol

I'm not surprised by your post. I've tried Williams a few times over the last 6 months and I get very good shaves with it. The scent is okay and yes, the price makes it without competition.

I used the stuff pretty much daily for years. I've always liked the scent, though it doesn't have as much personality as some of the fancier stuff I've acquired over the past year. I still use it on occasion. But to be honest, to chose between Williams and VDH, I'd go with the VDH pretty much every time.

-Mason

I like this soap because it's cheap, easy to find, performs well and I love the scent. I usually add a little glycerin because the soap does dry my face out. Having said all that, I don't use it all that often because there are a lot better products out there. I still always keep some on hand.

Williams lathers ok, gives a decent shave. My issue is that I find it drying to my skin, so I just use other products. It does have a decent following though, and is cheap and readily available anywhere in the US.

-- John Gehman, HBS junkie. :w00t:

NB If you like a traditional soapy product, the ARKO stick out performs the Williams on all counts, at the cost of a *profound* aroma of 'soap' that's akin to an industrial cleanser. It's too much for some guys, though it grows on you...

Top Bottom