What's new

Williams mug soap

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Guys, guys, guys! Williams Mug is a fine soap, lathers very easily if it isn't allowed to dry out. I shaved with it yesterday (applied directly to my face from a grated-in-a-stick puck) and got the full nostalgic hit of barbershop goodness.

After using it as my main soap from my late teens to my early 60s, I fail to understand the brouhaha over the scent, any recipe changes, or the difficult-to-lather claims.

I used it first in classic 'cheap boar brush left in the coffee mug' mode but after a couple decades was given a Plisson badger and a big fancy pants pewter mug. Even giving the puck some access to dry air between shaves did not lower its latherability.

> @luvmysuper is correct that the lather is not pungent. On the YMMV front, I am not offended by either Arko or Tabac. I was offended by After the Rain, because its very pleasant scent is barely perceptible.
> I failed to notice the infamous Williams recipe change.
> I have never tried to make a cream pie lather from Williams, but I have always gotten plenty of slickness and comfort. It takes and holds plenty of water. Lather is mainly a verb in my den, and stubble hydration, rather than slathering fat on face, is the goal.

Yeah, three dollars for a puck is highway robbery. I have never bought a puck outside of a brick-and-mortar store. This photo is from a high-end, highly organic kind of grocery store - buck and a half:
View attachment 1316780
Same as the grocery here. Also agree with your comment on new vs. old. I use Arko now but Williams is a solid good soap. I suppose these basic soaps appeal to my minimalist spirit.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
My favorite inexpensive luxury soap: I grate a puck of Williams and a puck of Col. Conk together. $25/tub performance for under $5.
I’ve grated and mixed Williams and Arko on a number of occasions which proved to be an excellent combo but now just use Arko sticks as a matter of convenience. Face lathering just seems more efficient.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Citronella huh? Like a citronella candle? How long does it take to let that air out and dissipate? I read that Stirling's Electric Sheep is similar in scent. I want to try that because it's made with mutton tallow. All of this because I want a soap with the slickness of Tabac without the Tabac fragrance.

I recently added one of Stirling's mutton tallow soaps to my collection. When I tried it, I was very impressed with the slickness and post-shave face feel. Head and shoulders above their regular beef tallow formula soaps.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I recently added one of Stirling's mutton tallow soaps to my collection. When I tried it, I was very impressed with the slickness and post-shave face feel. Head and shoulders above their regular beef tallow formula soaps.

I shaved with Stirling's Scots Pine Sheep today and I agree. Post shave feel was excellent. My face was supple, soft, smooth and hydrated .

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I shaved with Stirling's Scots Pine Sheep today and I agree. Post shave feel was excellent. My face was supple, soft, smooth and hydrated .

Can't say enough about the Stirling mutton tallow soaps. You have to experience them to appreciate the difference.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I opened the container this afternoon. Don’t know when it will be ready.

Stirling’s lineup is very impressive so I hope Electric Sheep is a hit with you.

I got the Scots Pine Sheep instead. I really light this soap. I feel good just thinking about using it. I've used it once already and was very pleased with the shave.

Guys, guys, guys! Williams Mug is a fine soap, lathers very easily if it isn't allowed to dry out. I shaved with it yesterday (applied directly to my face from a grated-in-a-stick puck) and got the full nostalgic hit of barbershop goodness.

After using it as my main soap from my late teens to my early 60s, I fail to understand the brouhaha over the scent, any recipe changes, or the difficult-to-lather claims.

I used it first in classic 'cheap boar brush left in the coffee mug' mode but after a couple decades was given a Plisson badger and a big fancy pants pewter mug. Even giving the puck some access to dry air between shaves did not lower its latherability.

> @luvmysuper is correct that the lather is not pungent. On the YMMV front, I am not offended by either Arko or Tabac. I was offended by After the Rain, because its very pleasant scent is barely perceptible.
> I failed to notice the infamous Williams recipe change.
> I have never tried to make a cream pie lather from Williams, but I have always gotten plenty of slickness and comfort. It takes and holds plenty of water. Lather is mainly a verb in my den, and stubble hydration, rather than slathering fat on face, is the goal.

Yeah, three dollars for a puck is highway robbery. I have never bought a puck outside of a brick-and-mortar store. This photo is from a high-end, highly organic kind of grocery store - buck and a half:
View attachment 1316780
All I would add is, stay away from that Herban Cowboy. Some here think it's OK, but one of the worst I've tried.

Top Bottom