What's new

Williams mug soap

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
ARKO! has been very kind to me. My favorite ‘lather’ is fairly soapy water, maybe Williams will work, too.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Guys, guys, guys! Williams Mug is a fine soap, lathers very easily if it isn't allowed to dry out. I shaved with it yesterday (applied directly to my face from a grated-in-a-stick puck) and got the full nostalgic hit of barbershop goodness.

After using it as my main soap from my late teens to my early 60s, I fail to understand the brouhaha over the scent, any recipe changes, or the difficult-to-lather claims.

I used it first in classic 'cheap boar brush left in the coffee mug' mode but after a couple decades was given a Plisson badger and a big fancy pants pewter mug. Even giving the puck some access to dry air between shaves did not lower its latherability.

> @luvmysuper is correct that the lather is not pungent. On the YMMV front, I am not offended by either Arko or Tabac. I was offended by After the Rain, because its very pleasant scent is barely perceptible.
> I failed to notice the infamous Williams recipe change.
> I have never tried to make a cream pie lather from Williams, but I have always gotten plenty of slickness and comfort. It takes and holds plenty of water. Lather is mainly a verb in my den, and stubble hydration, rather than slathering fat on face, is the goal.

Yeah, three dollars for a puck is highway robbery. I have never bought a puck outside of a brick-and-mortar store. This photo is from a high-end, highly organic kind of grocery store - buck and a half:
View attachment 1316780
Same as the grocery here. Also agree with your comment on new vs. old. I use Arko now but Williams is a solid good soap. I suppose these basic soaps appeal to my minimalist spirit.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
My favorite inexpensive luxury soap: I grate a puck of Williams and a puck of Col. Conk together. $25/tub performance for under $5.
I’ve grated and mixed Williams and Arko on a number of occasions which proved to be an excellent combo but now just use Arko sticks as a matter of convenience. Face lathering just seems more efficient.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Citronella huh? Like a citronella candle? How long does it take to let that air out and dissipate? I read that Stirling's Electric Sheep is similar in scent. I want to try that because it's made with mutton tallow. All of this because I want a soap with the slickness of Tabac without the Tabac fragrance.

I recently added one of Stirling's mutton tallow soaps to my collection. When I tried it, I was very impressed with the slickness and post-shave face feel. Head and shoulders above their regular beef tallow formula soaps.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I recently added one of Stirling's mutton tallow soaps to my collection. When I tried it, I was very impressed with the slickness and post-shave face feel. Head and shoulders above their regular beef tallow formula soaps.

I shaved with Stirling's Scots Pine Sheep today and I agree. Post shave feel was excellent. My face was supple, soft, smooth and hydrated .

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I shaved with Stirling's Scots Pine Sheep today and I agree. Post shave feel was excellent. My face was supple, soft, smooth and hydrated .

Can't say enough about the Stirling mutton tallow soaps. You have to experience them to appreciate the difference.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I opened the container this afternoon. Don’t know when it will be ready.

Stirling’s lineup is very impressive so I hope Electric Sheep is a hit with you.

I got the Scots Pine Sheep instead. I really light this soap. I feel good just thinking about using it. I've used it once already and was very pleased with the shave.

Guys, guys, guys! Williams Mug is a fine soap, lathers very easily if it isn't allowed to dry out. I shaved with it yesterday (applied directly to my face from a grated-in-a-stick puck) and got the full nostalgic hit of barbershop goodness.

After using it as my main soap from my late teens to my early 60s, I fail to understand the brouhaha over the scent, any recipe changes, or the difficult-to-lather claims.

I used it first in classic 'cheap boar brush left in the coffee mug' mode but after a couple decades was given a Plisson badger and a big fancy pants pewter mug. Even giving the puck some access to dry air between shaves did not lower its latherability.

> @luvmysuper is correct that the lather is not pungent. On the YMMV front, I am not offended by either Arko or Tabac. I was offended by After the Rain, because its very pleasant scent is barely perceptible.
> I failed to notice the infamous Williams recipe change.
> I have never tried to make a cream pie lather from Williams, but I have always gotten plenty of slickness and comfort. It takes and holds plenty of water. Lather is mainly a verb in my den, and stubble hydration, rather than slathering fat on face, is the goal.

Yeah, three dollars for a puck is highway robbery. I have never bought a puck outside of a brick-and-mortar store. This photo is from a high-end, highly organic kind of grocery store - buck and a half:
View attachment 1316780
All I would add is, stay away from that Herban Cowboy. Some here think it's OK, but one of the worst I've tried.

Top Bottom