What's new

Williams Mug Soap and Dove Mix

In 1962 I started shaving with Williams soap for 10 cents a puck. A simple routine of soaking my brush a few drops of water on the puck, light shake of brush and within 15-20 seconds I had a great lather, even used it while in the Navy. I eventualy changed to Old Spice soap and After Shave.
Now with the New Williams I find it more difficult to lather, thaking over a minute to get a good lather. It still works well but it's NOT the original Williams that lathered so easily.
I've been experimenting by mixing Williams with Dove Bath Soap, Shea Butter, Tangerine,Cucumber and Men's bars. Ive found that shaving a puck of Williams and a Half bar of Dove into my shave bowl, place bowl in a fry pan filled with water and boil till soaps are melted and mixed, let cool and harden in fridge.
Method of Lathering: Soak brush, a few drops of water on soap, light shake of brush, swirl brush on soap and within 15-20 seconds I have a fantastic lather, add a bit more water and I get enough lather for 3-4 passes. Lather is long lasting, non drying, very well hydrating, and very slick.
Cost: $1.49 for Williams Mug soap (les if bought x12) 2 pack of Dove $3.29 (divided by 4) $0.82 = $2.31 total + labor
I now only use 3 soaps Cella, Williams/Dove and Arko pressed into bowl.

I've done a similar thing with the Cetaphil bar soap and Williams. It's definitely workable, but I do enjoy the range of soaps available. I also enjoy a dab of Headslick on a puck of Williams, seems to help the lather thicken up faster.

I've done a similar thing with the Cetaphil bar soap and Williams.

I have shaved with just Cetaphil, so I imagine it would do well mixed with Williams or super-lathered with a cream.

I find Arko and Williams a good union.

Cella is a soap I've been playing around with. Not satisfied with the lather I get using it alone, I've tried mixing it with a bar soap I recently picked up--Yardley Activated Charcoal w/ Bentonite Clay. Lathered with Cella: slick as an eel.

I have shaved with just Cetaphil, so I imagine it would do well mixed with Williams or super-lathered with a cream.

I find Arko and Williams a good union.

Cella is a soap I've been playing around with. Not satisfied with the lather I get using it alone, I've tried mixing it with a bar soap I recently picked up--Yardley Activated Charcoal w/ Bentonite Clay. Lathered with Cella: slick as an eel.

With Cella soap (kilo) After I soak my brush I give it a good shake, swirl my brush on the soap adding a few drops of water as needed, after about a minute I get a lot of fantastic thick slick lather.
I have a few bars of Yardley that I shower with, I'll try that Cella/Yardley mix.

Williams is popular for creating Frankensoaps. Grate it, add some leftover bits of other soaps, a glug or two of your favorite splash. Mash it all together and enjoy. Don't have to melt it, it will meld on its own.

The best way IMO to lather current Williams production soap is to sit the puck in a cup/bowl and pour really, really hot water over it and then cover while you shower. I microwave water for a minute or so to heat it. When you exit the shower and are ready to shave uncover the hot puck and drain the water. It then lathers easily, especially with a synthetic brush. I don't mind the soap, but it will dry out your skin if that's a problem for you. You can add a drop or two of mineral oil into the lather to aid that.

I grated a puck of Williams and combined it with a grated stick of Arko. I then mixed the two together and mashed them into an empty container. The combination lathers very well.

I tried to get modern williams to work, I did every trick written here and or talked about on these boards, I couldn't get it to go, I gave up and ended up just binning it into my trash can. I took the gamble on Arko in the tub, and I couldn't be happier.

Congrats to you boys who can get Williams to work, because I sure as heck can't. Maybe in another lifetime or if someone wants to PIF me a puck to try again I'd take another stab it, but I'm not going to spend $1.89 on it.

I tried to get modern williams to work, I did every trick written here and or talked about on these boards, I couldn't get it to go, I gave up and ended up just binning it into my trash can. I took the gamble on Arko in the tub, and I couldn't be happier.

Congrats to you boys who can get Williams to work, because I sure as heck can't. Maybe in another lifetime or if someone wants to PIF me a puck to try again I'd take another stab it, but I'm not going to spend $1.89 on it.

If you like Arko like I do, the stick is cheaper and easily presses into your favorite bowl or mug, I got the 12 pack of Arko stick on Amazon for $13.06

Top Bottom