What's new

Williams Mug Shaving Soap

Where do my fellow Canadians purchase Williams? I checked the Holy Trinity: Fendrihan-TOTC-ItalianBarber and none of them carry it. I did find on Amazon.ca selling a single puck for $22.89 which I suspect is rather inflated.
Small pharmacies is where I have found it. One in Whitby and one in Gananoque. $1.99 or maybe $2.99 CAD a puck.

Small pharmacies is where I have found it. One in Whitby and one in Gananoque. $1.99 or maybe $2.99 CAD a puck.
Those are great prices! These threads have me wanted to try everything! :) I'll take a look in some of the smaller pharmacies in the Newmarket area.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I checked Amazon in the US and yes the prices are great…until shipping charges to Canada come into play. Of course $5.99 for three pucks + $15.00 shipping and import fees means that I would be paying about $30.00 Cdn which isn’t terrible in the grand scheme.

Pass, you’re not missing anything. Arko is better soap than modern Williams. Don’t tell @FarmerTan that I said that please.

Godrej, that goes for 22 rupees or under 35 cents U.S. in India is sold by Maggards for $2.95 (plus shipping)Where do my fellow Canadians purchase Williams? I checked the Holy Trinity: Fendrihan-TOTC-ItalianBarber and none of them carry it. I did find on Amazon.ca selling a single puck for $22.89 which I suspect is rather inflated.
Very inflated. This is a 99 cent to $1.49 soap at U.S. retailers. Once you cross borders there should be a 2 - 3x mark up to cover distribution costs so whatever $2-$3 U.S. is in Canadian currency would be reasonable. We see the same in reverse in the U.S. where 2-3 euro Proraso is sold for $10 U.S. or Godrej, that goes for 22 rupees or under 35 cents U.S. in India is sold on-line by Maggards for $2.95 (plus shipping).

Marking up a soap like Williams that is still manufactured by 20x is price gouging.

$23 for a puck of WMS makes me feel ill. That's a crime and I feel like an accomplice. WMS is a very modest product that does not suit a lot of people's tastes. The joy of using it is in part how simple and elemental it is.

These threads crack me up. When I joined here, I said I was using Williams and lathering it in a mug on top of the soap after soaking it. Had used it for about ten years. All I got were horrified gasps and was admonished to try something better, lol. Now I haven't used it in ten years. I'm happy with my Cella, Proraso Green, and a Taylor cream or two usually on my shelf, but I'll have to try this again, it's been at least 12 years. Funny, I kept saying if you lather it in a mug on top of the soap after soaking it, it's great stuff, and everyone laughed. Now I think that's the preferred method and it's gotten some respect. The wheel turns!
Same thing happened with derby extra some years back, they change the flavor of the month

I have now been using williams for 6 months, and have found it to be just as good as the premium cold water soap factory I was using before. It produces a great lather, but it is easy to use too much water. I think this will be my go to soap from now on because again its only 99 cents a puck. One thing though, I use a shave scuttle and I think that is one of the big reasons why I am able to get such a nice lather. The hot water making the soap warm is really nice.
It works very well with cold water also

I did a quick search around here and no one had any WMS in stock. I will keep looking!!!

Tom
See my recent post on the link below. This appears to be a longer term issue.

When all choice has been eliminated and the only thing available is pricy, limited edition, unobtanium croaps that last ~30 days with recipes that have more in common with your favorite Bistro's salad dressing than shaving soap I'll make my own.

Fortunately European shavers appreciate shaving soap. MdC, La Toja, Speick, Arko to name a few and Spanish vendors are more than willing to help the world enjoy a clean shave.
The future is now, old man.

What can you tell me about this version of the Williams soap with the tin jar. I've seen it only a few times and even after doing an extensive search, I can't find anything about it.

Screenshot 2022-02-13 at 13-34-46 williams mug shaving soap tin – Google Търсене.png

Top Bottom