What's new

Williams Mug Shaving Soap

Dang it I waited too long I was going to buy 12 puck pack last month and never got around to it. Is there another puck soap like Williams? That was my favorite soap

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Dang it I waited too long I was going to buy 12 puck pack last month and never got around to it. Is there another puck soap like Williams? That was my favorite soap
Arko. Squash a stick in a bowl and you are all set. Similar scent and better lather.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!

I always thought that most of the English hard soaps performed very similarly (except for T&H Apsley which is reportedly a different formula from the other T&H hard soaps). Grab some Trumper’s or T&H and you should be in familiar territory.

Is there any puck in the same price point as Williams besides vander hagen?

If you find a soap, with natural ingredients, that is not a detergent, that does not concern itself with easing life for those with harder water, why need it be in the shape of a puck? I like a good puck and all, but there are work arounds aplenty, that's got to be the first thing to give? Or not?

I never got a stable lather from Williams it would always dissipate rather quickly. That was until yesterday. I decided to give it some hefty swirls in the cup and then and a small dollop of Derby Limon. The result was a ungodly amount of stable massive peaked lather. It was so much I did a three pass unlike my usual two pass. It was glorious.

Then I read this thread. I'm bummed it's discontinued.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Used Williams today and achieved a great shave. I'm now successful 2 out of 5 times making good lather with Williams.

A lot of suggestions have already been given. I'll share my notes in case it's helpful for someone else.
  • Put that puck in a VdH bowl and fully submerged the puck in hot water for 10-20 minutes.
  • Dumped the water out.
  • Loaded the puck for maybe 20 seconds using an almost dry Mühle Vivo black fiber v2 synthetic brush.
  • Switched to a ShaveBowl bowl to build lather and churned for approx 2 minutes before adding water.
  • Added a few drops and churned for a minute. Repeat.
  • Let the lather sit for approx 2 minutes while I applied some Proraso red preshave.
  • The lather reduced into a small foamy sludge in the bottom of the bowl.
  • Churned up the lather and added a few drops of water and it built up some structure.
  • Rinsed off the preshave, applied the lather, and started shaving using a Blackland Dart and Dorco ST301 (6).
  • The lather did not vanish on my face and was slick enough.
  • Before every pass I had to church the lather because it has reduced again in the bottom of the bowl.
  • I had enough lather for 3 passes with a little left over.
  • Close shave, zero feedback from the alum, and my skin looks and feels fantastic.
I'm still considering this beginners luck until I can repeat my success 10 times in a row.

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
You mean another legendary soap that doesn't lather nearly as well as it used to? LOL Sorry. Feeling a bit salty tonight.

@Eben Stone I got a really nice Williams lather two days ago. Brand new puck and a Zenith boar. Thick non dissipating lather. In fact I dare say I probably could have added a bit more water. Either the Zenith is magic or this last puck I got was made on a Friday and they gave it a little more tallow or something.

Honestly there are many good glycerin pucks out there that are not true soap in the sense of Williams but they are very good, but we don't give them credit. VdH, Mama Bear, Colonel Conk et al.

@Hawkeye_90 you should check out Shave Factory soap. Some barber supply and some local places have it. It's an old school soap in a puck. There was a thread here on it Shaving Factory Shave Soap? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/shaving-factory-shave-soap.380832/

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Eben, your results are why I will not use Modern Williams, or a soap like it.

You were successful 2 out of 5 times and it took 10 steps to make that lather.

Lol. tell me, why I should endure this?

Eben Stone

Staff member
Eben, your results are why I will not use Modern Williams, or a soap like it.

You were successful 2 out of 5 times and it took 10 steps to make that lather.

Lol. tell me, why I should endure this?
I'm not saying you should. I'm just sharing my results. I'm challenging myself to learn how to lather Williams. It's the most inconsistent and difficult to lather soap I've tried. Even worse than GFT and I feel that's saying something.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I never got a stable lather from Williams it would always dissipate rather quickly. That was until yesterday. I decided to give it some hefty swirls in the cup and then and a small dollop of Derby Limon. The result was a ungodly amount of stable massive peaked lather. It was so much I did a three pass unlike my usual two pass. It was glorious.

Then I read this thread. I'm bummed it's discontinued.
This is giving me some ideas. :idea:

I don't have Derby, but I do have many creams I could experiment with. Just got to find something with a scent that will jive with Williams.

Used Williams today and achieved a great shave. I'm now successful 2 out of 5 times making good lather with Williams.

A lot of suggestions have already been given. I'll share my notes in case it's helpful for someone else.
  • Put that puck in a VdH bowl and fully submerged the puck in hot water for 10-20 minutes.
  • Dumped the water out.
  • Loaded the puck for maybe 20 seconds using an almost dry Mühle Vivo black fiber v2 synthetic brush.
  • Switched to a ShaveBowl bowl to build lather and churned for approx 2 minutes before adding water.
  • Added a few drops and churned for a minute. Repeat.
  • Let the lather sit for approx 2 minutes while I applied some Proraso red preshave.
  • The lather reduced into a small foamy sludge in the bottom of the bowl.
  • Churned up the lather and added a few drops of water and it built up some structure.
  • Rinsed off the preshave, applied the lather, and started shaving using a Blackland Dart and Dorco ST301 (6).
  • The lather did not vanish on my face and was slick enough.
  • Before every pass I had to church the lather because it has reduced again in the bottom of the bowl.
  • I had enough lather for 3 passes with a little left over.
  • Close shave, zero feedback from the alum, and my skin looks and feels fantastic.
I'm still considering this beginners luck until I can repeat my success 10 times in a row.
Good lord. If I had to work that hard to get a decent lather I'd go back to wearing a beard. I'm impressed by your tenacity.

Top Bottom