What's new

Williams mug shave soap - wonderful experience!

I had a wonderful shave this morning and can't believe its because of a shave soap. I usually use Cremo and am very happy with it but the hype of Williams and the good reviews I read about I had to experiment.
So I bought two Williams pucks at Wegman's for $0.99 each, dirt cheap too. I let the puck soak in warm water as I showered.
Drained the water and whipped up a fabulous lather, it was awesome. I may just have been lucky as we have hard water but that didn't seem to matter. Nice thick lather using a boar brush. The lather never dried on my face and absolutely no bubbles - I was ecstatic to say the least.
Used a Gillette Tech with a new Super Iridium blade that gave a butter smooth shave with no irritation what so ever. I may have found the right combination but time will tell with more shaves. The first pass was super, lathered up gain with just dipping the brush in the water and just nice thick lather. Didn't need a third pass but I went for it anyway as a touch up and was very impressed!
I will still use Cremo but for now Williams is a new addition to the stable!

Williams makes a great lather when you take your time. Add some Cremo to the puck and watch what happens. Super lather!

Williams May be a bare bones and sometimes finicky soap, but has it where it counts - slickness. The slickness is actually quite equal to the slickness of the tippity top of elite soaps IMO. The other major soap factors...well...it’s still got a lot to make up for there...

Williams was the first shave soap I tried years ago and has been my daily go to shave soap. Works great for me. I do try others from time to time but always go back to the mug. I really like the scent, it lathers well in the mug or on the face and is slick. It's cheap and that suits me well!

I've been mainly using Williams for the past week. Seems the more you use it the easier it is to lather. I keep gettng a really nice lather with it. Like a nice whipped cream. Just an amazing soap. No dissipation or anything. Real thick and creamy. Kind of wish they'd bring back the menthol version. Heck, any scented version would be nice.

Since I shop at Wegmans regularly and buy my blades there (store brand IPs), I decided to pick up a puck of Williams and give it another try. This time, I made sure to let it soften a bit with some hot water. I also dragged the puck across my whole face and face lathered. Very nice! Thanks for the idea, sharktown!

I wouldn't have believed it unless I tried it myself - it is hard to beat. H4nk suggested to add some Cremo to the puck which I did and now the lather is that much better!

B79C86BB-E7A9-4D46-8680-B3D9BD509914.jpeg
I tried Williams years ago when I first started wet shaving. I hated it. I was in a hotel this past week that had a soap that reminded me of Williams. I figured I’d give it another shot. I’m glad I did. It was as good a shave as I’ve ever had. I didn’t do anything special to it. Hot water and a boar brush. It’s definitely going in the rotation.

I always thought the performance of Williams Soap was ok, but it always left a definite soapy residue in the sink afterward, more than other shaving soaps. I did not like that feature.

Hi

Williams is about the slickest soap I've ever tried. And it has decent cushion also. The only real issue I have with it is if I use as a daily driver, my face gets dry and irritated. But I'm finding as I get older, some of my old favorites are causing a similar feeling also. So I've stopped using them so much.

Top Bottom