What's new

Williams Ice Blue nitpick

I was shopping at a local CVS a few days ago and couldn't help but notice a bottle of Aqua Velva Ice Blue sitting on a shelf. When I started shaving in the 70s it's all I used, so I picked up a bottle. On the back of the bottle is a statement "Aqua Velva Ice Blue has been a classic American scent since 1917". Correct me if I'm wrong, but Aqua Velva Ice Blue was first sold in 1955 and was advertised as a new scent. The original Aqua Velva was discontinued and never advertised again after 1954.

The group of three are the first bottles of Aqua Velva Ice Blue to be sold in 1955. The group of four has a slightly different label and first sold in 1965. Included is a photo of the original Aqua Velva from 1917 and the first Ice Blue.
I
IMG_0946.JPG
IMG_0962.JPG
IMG_0959.JPG
IMG_0960.JPG
IMG_0947.JPG

Last edited:
If I recall correctly some apparently solid stuff I had read on this subjet, AV started out as a mouthwash but was then rebranded as an aftershave not too terribly long after. I thought that AV came out as an aftershave in the 1930s and has been sold continuously since then. Perhaps 1917 is an attempt to exaggerate its age (since old stuff is cool with the hipsters now) and is in reality extending the history into the mouthwash era before it was remarketed as AS?

I do recall reading about this, but I thought it was in reference to Listerine. Listerine was once promoted as a hair tonic, aftershave & mouthwash. I don't remember any of the old Aqua Velva ads using that same type of promotion, but you may be correct.

Top Bottom