What's new

Williams every day. WHAT!!!!!

My only soap for decades, modern and pre-modern (I never noticed the change, if there was one.

I was just gifted a homemade soap meant to evoke vintage Williams. Lathered easily and abundantly, performed very well. That is Williams to me. Well, maybe the homebrew scent is even better than Williams.

It takes work and a boar brush but it's a good soap.

It cost $0.99 here for a puck. Worth a try!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Congratulations for turning a believer!

I've never understood when people say they need to work more or add water or drown the soap overnight.

I use it daily using a boar brush and just a few swirls on the puck to get loads of creamy thick and really slick lather for three shaves. It doesnt dry or fizz out or turn bubbly light or thin out. I then put the brush wih the excess lather back on that puck in the mug and hang it up for the next morning. Why waste the lather goodness down the drain!

Combined wiht an ever ready 1912, a gem junior or a Gillette old type - Shave Nirvana!!

Congratulations for turning a believer!

I've never understood when people say they need to work more or add water or drown the soap overnight.

I use it daily using a boar brush and just a few swirls on the puck to get loads of creamy thick and really slick lather for three shaves. It doesnt dry or fizz out or turn bubbly light or thin out. I then put the brush wih the excess lather back on that puck in the mug and hang it up for the next morning. Why waste the lather goodness down the drain!

Combined wiht an ever ready 1912, a gem junior or a Gillette old type - Shave Nirvana!!

Old school lathering. Respect!

Great set of razors there, too. If you bump into a E-R 1924/Shovelhead grab it.

Drop back by Micromatic Monday sometime! And post a picture of that boar when you're there. I wish I'd kept my drugstore boar that spent a couple decades resting un-rinsed on top of a series of Williams pucks.

Modern Williams is my go to soap, I have great results whit it whit out any difficulties. It’s not the best of all but not the worst either. If I have to rate the soap on a scale of 1 to 10 I would gave it a 8 for sure, according from my results.

I’m not saying it’s the best soap out there. And I did have issues with it for quite a while. It’s better for me now.

I think it takes-
1. Lot’s of loading without drowning it. (A little pasty)
2. non-aggressive loading
3. I face later with a boar brush (again, not too aggressive)

I think that when there’s a lot of water in the scenario, it easily bubbles (bad) when treated roughly.

Whoa! Where do you get them for 99¢/puck?

Wegmans stores. Kind of a Rochester, NY area (I'm east of there) grocery store but they have spread to a few states the past decade or so, and cover a large area of upstate NY as well.

It's been 99¢ for many years now. I just bought one a few weeks back, so prices are still current. I also get my Dr. Bronner's bar soap there for $3.49/bar, I can't find a price online to compete!

Wegmans stores. Kind of a Rochester, NY area (I'm east of there) grocery store but they have spread to a few states the past decade or so, and cover a large area of upstate NY as well.

It's been 99¢ for many years now. I just bought one a few weeks back, so prices are still current. I also get my Dr. Bronner's bar soap there for $3.49/bar, I can't find a price online to compete!

I get them at Wegmans in PA for .99 cents also. About 2 years ago Shop-Rite was closing them out for .59 cents, I bought the last 12 pucks.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
There is a grocer in my area that is .99 as well. Small regional, not a major chain.

Williams is just ok IMO. Not much of a scent and it lathers just fine. I always have a few pucks on hand but it is far from my favourite.

I mainly use it at the cottage and when I go on vacation. I just leave the used puck behind when I travel. It is $1.49 in Canada (just over a buck US) so it is expendable just like left over sunscreen, bug spray, etc.

I’m not sure why anyone would choose it over the slightly more expensive Cella, Proraso, Palmolive, La Toja, Cremo, etc. but to each their own.

I get them at Wegmans in PA for .99 cents also. About 2 years ago Shop-Rite was closing them out for .59 cents, I bought the last 12 pucks.
Unfortunately, we don't have Wegman's on the West Coast. I bought my puck at an independent pharmacy for $1.79. It may have been the last puck of Williams at the store. I have not seen another one since. I think I saw some pucks being sold at Winco for $1.50 before, though.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Shaved the first whisps off with Dad's gear in '69. Still part of the soap inventory. Did notice any change either.
My only soap for decades, modern and pre-modern (I never noticed the change, if there was one.
I have used Williams since the mid 1970s and have not noticed any significant change in the soap. If anything, I'm much more willing to overload my brush today than I was 40 years ago, so I end up with much thicker lather now than I did years ago when I was satisfied with a thin, slick coat of lather after a few seconds of swirling the brush in the mug.

Unfortunately, we don't have Wegman's on the West Coast. I bought my puck at an independent pharmacy for $1.79. It may have been the last puck of Williams at the store. I have not seen another one since. I think I saw some pucks being sold at Winco for $1.50 before, though.

My 'Williams' pharmacy is so independent (for over 100 years) and such a throwback that there is a single puck of Williams Mug (and only a single specimen of every other over-the-counter product) on display. I ask at the counter and they fetch my order from the back. $1.89 for a puck, I think. I'm paying for that personal service!

Top Bottom