What's new

Will wet shave in the future, need cart now

Hello DE enthusiasts, I'm an 18 year old who has been shaving since I was 15. I was raised by a single mother and I didn't really have a male to teach me about shaving. When I wanted to start, my mom bought me a bunch of gillette fusion goo a five-blade razor. It's lasted up to now(I shave about every three days).

I've always hated this gillette. I basically only grow facial hair on my chin and moustache area. It shaves the chin just fine, but I can't get a close shave under my nose without cutting my lips.

I've been using two-bladed bic disposables and really like them. They give me a close shave with way less cuts/nicks than that fusion P.O.S. I dislike how light the razor is, which makes it take longer to do a pass. Now, logically I should switch to a DE, but I don't have the patience to learn and I don't have time to do multiple passes with a DE. So.....:a51:

Which cart system should I get for the time being? I've read a few threads here and it seems the Atra and Trac II are highly praised, plus my local drug store sells the cartridges. Should I order a Trac II handle online and use that?

TL;DR I need an economic cart system, preferably two blades

Last edited by a moderator:
Give the DEs a try. It's not rocket science, its shaving. If you can avoid getting caught up in it like so many of us do, you can save money. DE blades are cheaper. A starter kit won't cost a fortune, and you'll be glad you did later. I can't offer any advice on disposables or cart systems, other than, don't bother. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that can help you with technique, plus hundreds of guys here you can get advice from. Just ask and we will answer.

IDK, work on patience and getting up an extra half hour early to DE shave.....

that's certainly the case. I'm just starting out and have had to adjust my morning schedule to ensure I have time to shave. I've started to really enjoy shaving though so waking up a little early isn't a problem, specially because it's a relaxing start to the day.

I'd just like to follow up with, my son is 20, I got him a cheap brush, a vintage super speed razor, some blades and some soap. He hasn't gone crazy buying tons of products like I have. He just uses it and enjoys using it.

I use an SE and make a 2pass shave in less than 5 minutes. Face lather in the shower and your done just as quick as with a cart.

I'm all for just jumping in to DE shaving. Think of it this way, it may take a bit of patience and time right now, but in 10 years you will thank yourself. It pays off in the end, actually for me, my shaves don't last long enough anymore. Less than 15 minutes for a 3 pass shave with some buffing around the jaw line. So jump in, the waters fine!!

I'll have to weigh with a jump to the DE. It may be a steeper learning curve initially and take more time, but ultimately you'll be much better off in the end. I say skip the carts.

If you only shave once every few days, could you possibly adjust your schedule to shower/shave in the evenings? Also, if cost is a factor, look at Garry's Sample Shop (registered vendor on this site - no affil). They have Vintage Gillette starter kits for $30, that come with everything you need to get going with a DE. I've spent more than that on a pack of M3 carts...

Starter Kit Thread Here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ple-Shop-Vintage-Gillette-Razor-Starter-Sets!

@BRPeterson, from your description of your facial hair, shaving with a double edge razor may not be that much of a chore. Even with a cartridge, you still should be doing something to soften your whiskers, even if it is just a shower. So that is already in the equation. And in your case, one with the grain pass may be all you need for an acceptable shave, though a second pass doesn't take a whole lot of extra time. If your beard developes as you grow older and you need to start doing extra passes, your skill will also have developed over that time.

As far as that Fusion, I like it, all but the cost. That single blade on the cartridge is perfect for under the nose. I've used earlier Gillette cartridges, but those memories are mostly gone. Can't recommed any of them over the Fusion.

Although starting out with a DE would be my first recommendation as well, given your question I have a few recommendations for you:

If an inexpensive cart system is your highest priority, I'd say buy a Bump Fighter handle (available in some drug stores or online) for about $5.00, toss the included carts, and buy some Personna or Wilkinson Sword Trac II carts, which will work in the Bump Fighter handle. It's a good, inexpensive way to shave (although you WILL have to use the correct angle and no pressure, just like a DE--it's not a Mach 3 or Fusion "Just press hard and drive it around your face" kind of shave). The BF handle is made of metal and fairly hefty compared to the other Trac II handles out on the market, which I like.

You can also contact Jason (Dridiot) at Razorbladesandmore, one of our trusted vendors, and pick up a G II handle (a clone of the Gillette Trac II handle designed for the Asian markets) for a small amount of cash as well. It's mostly hollow plastic, so it's lighter than a BF handle. I have one myself, but prefer the weight of the BF handle. Shipping from his base in Singapore takes about 2 weeks.

I have never used the Atra system, so I can't speak to either its effectiveness or its price. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

I shave after a steaming shower usually and I've been using proraso cream for about a week. For aftershave, I use nivea balm.

The blade on the other side of the Fusion is okay but it gets clogged and dull very quickly. The Fusion clogs up faster than the bics I now use, and they only cost 23 cents per razor.

I'm seriously considering trying a DE now, but I'll have to think it over and do my research. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Edit: Thanks Wingnut, I read about the bump fighter on here. I'll give that a look, too.

I shaved with a DE for 3 years and I was to the point I could get a nice shave. However, I then discovered the Atra and have been getting much more comfortable and closer shaves with it for the last year. For me the Gillette Atra catridges are much better (and more expensive) than the generic or cheaper brands and I can get 7 shaves out of them. I still blow the dust off the DE razors here and there but never get the quality of shave I do with the Atra. IMO the important part is the use of a quality soap or cream and a brush. Combine that with a good prep and the blade or razor you use won't matter.

Buy a vintage Schick or PAL Injector
Buy some blades
Marvel at how much better than a cart it is while maintaing the smoothness and simplicity.

Give the DEs a try. It's not rocket science, its shaving.

This.

Literally tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions, of men around the world shave with a DE every day. Get a starter kit from somewhere like Italianbarber.com, watch a few videos (e.g. Mantic59), practice in the evenings when you aren't in a rush to get ready for school and give it a go. Within a week or two you will be on your way.

Good luck!
-Greg

From your description of your facial hair, shaving with a double edge razor may not be that much of a chore. Even with a cartridge, you still should be doing something to soften your whiskers, even if it is just a shower. So that is already in the equation. And in your case, one with the grain pass may be all you need for an acceptable shave, though a second pass doesn't take a whole lot of extra time. If your beard developes as you grow older and you need to start doing extra passes, your skill will also have developed over that time.

I second this. But, I used a Trac II for a very long time prior to DE shaving. Good for a cartridge.

I was all set to pull the trigger on the Bump Fighter and Amazon denied me. Unfortunately, it doesn't ship to Canada.

I was all set to pull the trigger on the Bump Fighter and Amazon denied me. Unfortunately, it doesn't ship to Canada.

Check your local pharmacies. I've seen the BF starter kit pretty widely available at brick-and-mortar stores, at least here in the US.

Check your local pharmacies. I've seen the BF starter kit pretty widely available at brick-and-mortar stores, at least here in the US.
I've checked my local drugstores, they basically only carry Gillette and Schick stuff and a few disposables. I'll have to check the Walmart.

Give the DEs a try. It's not rocket science, its shaving. If you can avoid getting caught up in it like so many of us do, you can save money. DE blades are cheaper. A starter kit won't cost a fortune, and you'll be glad you did later. I can't offer any advice on disposables or cart systems, other than, don't bother. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that can help you with technique, plus hundreds of guys here you can get advice from. Just ask and we will answer.

+1

The sooner, the better. Avoid regretting not having done it in thirty years time...

Well, it's time to disappoint everyone here. I checked two more local drugstores and managed to find a Gillette Sensor. All the drugstores I checked before only had the new(read: expensive) stuff. I don't know what it's like at CVS or Walgreens but here in Canada there's very little variety in the shaving section.

I think I made a good choice because although sensor carts are more expensive than trac, it's a greater improvement over fusion and the quality should be better than the bics.

Although I do want to try DE, I have too much going on right now to learn a new skill.
Thank you all for the suggestions and insight.

Top Bottom