What's new

Will the Skinguard replace the Mach 3?

A pack of 8 Skinguards are £17.50, whilst a pack of 5 Mach3 disposables are frequently £5.00, or always £3.49 for 3 in one discount store. Guess where my money would go?

I thought those were Atra Plus cartridges?
Please provide me a link if you can.
Generic Sensor Excel cartridges would be a god-sent.
Personna Triflexx carts are Sensor compatible. They wouldn't be my personal choice. They have been widely available since 1998.

There is an old saying in industry "The big tool wins" When a product is capacity tooled the owner has many options, The big tool wins. When a product needs a design change the state of production tool will direct the decisions, The big tool wins. When the sales force can't make there quota. A commercial request will be made, cost can be made up on volumes, The big tool wins. When labor cost or material cost increase into profit a tool move can be made into a low cost country The big tool wins.

In the end he who owns the big tool wins.

I recently tried the Skinguard (for fun). I used Barbasol Extra Moisturizing canned cream. It was by far the most comfortable cartridge razor I have ever used (including disposables), and I have used them all (including all of the Dorco line). For comfort it is a 10/10. Unfortunately, it was also the least effective. Efficiency rating is a 2/10. Even with buffing and skin pulling I could not get an efficient shave. I had to re-shave with my Fusion and Schick ST to get a DFS rated shave. I concluded that this is a niche product for Gillette. It is designed to give an "epic comfortable" shave, for those who have never had a real BBS experience with a DE or Straight Razor. It is also for those who want a quick 3 to 5 minute shave in the shower (for work, appointment, date, or who feel shaving is a necessary chore and want to get it over as quick as possible). The Mach 3 is definitely more efficient (and also very comfortable) and has a huge following. Unless Gillette wants to kill a cash cow, it is highly unlikely they will stop selling the Mach 3.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
#s of different models = more shelf space in stores
The more shelf space they get the less available for the competition

I would echo Captainjonny's comments.

I picked up a Skinguard pack at Shoppers Drug Mart here in Toronto for almost 50% off. I probably wouldn't have bothered if it hadn't been on sale.

The shave is fantastically comfortable. The best ever (for me). However, it's not as close as my Mach 3—maybe 80% there. It would be great for those who hate to shave.

The killer for me is the handle. Despite parts of it looking rubbery, I found it quite slippery. I had to hold it awkwardly to finish my shave. I much prefer the simple, understated design of the Mach 3 handle.

The killer for me is the handle. Despite parts of it looking rubbery, I found it quite slippery. I had to hold it awkwardly to finish my shave. I much prefer the simple, understated design of the Mach 3 handle.

The blades also fit regular Fusion handles including third party handles if that helps.

In 40 years of using carts, my favorite was a 2 blade Sensor. 10 months after switching to DE, I took my Sensor on vacation and got the worst shave ever. I tossed that favorite cart and blades in the trash after the first use and have used a DE ever since.

In 40 years of using carts, my favorite was a 2 blade Sensor. 10 months after switching to DE, I took my Sensor on vacation and got the worst shave ever. I tossed that favorite cart and blades in the trash after the first use and have used a DE ever since.
Obviously the water.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I concluded that this is a niche product for Gillette. It is designed to give an "epic comfortable" shave, for those who have never had a real BBS experience with a DE or Straight Razor. It is also for those who want a quick 3 to 5 minute shave in the shower

I think it shaves as close as it was intended to. This razor is targeted at all those that have skin issues shaving with razors that shave them too closely. A close DE or straight shave can cause the issues the skinguard solves if they are too close.

I can get a 3-5 minute shave with a DE outside of the shower easily. Gotta used cream in a can to make it that fast though.

My favorite Gillette cart as of now is the Guard. Shaves closer than the Skin Guard and much cheaper to boot.

The shave is fantastically comfortable. The best ever (for me). However, it's not as close as my Mach 3—maybe 80% there. It would be great for those who hate to shave.

I agree, it's a very comfortable shave. CCS bordering on DFS for me. I agree 100% on the handle. Grippier than all get out UNTIL water hits it and then it practically shoots out of your hand.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
The Guard is the only one they need to make. They simply have American consumers fooled. Thinking we need more than 1 blade, a gel strip, and a rubber stip.

Did you take the well with you on vacation?

I wish. Every place we stay on vacation has softer water than I have at home, which means much less loading to get a good lather, even with a smaller brush. The downside to soft or city water is that, after almost 20 years on well water, we can't drink it. It all tastes like crap. We use it to shower, wash up and brush our teeth, but we only drink bottled water on trips.

The Guard is the only one they need to make. They simply have American consumers fooled. Thinking we need more than 1 blade, a gel strip, and a rubber stip.
I found the Gillette Guard, Bic Metal, and Bic Sensitive appalling bad. The Bic's draw blood. I can shave with a Feather AC without a weeper or irritation. I get an adequate shave from Dorco Pace 6. YMMV.

I gave up on the Skinguard after one and a half shaves. I have no patience with razors that spew lube like that anymore. Yeah, there's no irritation at all, because it dumps out lube and skates over the shaving cream without cutting anything.

IMO the Gillette 3 and 5 are by far their best cartridges.

This box arrived two days ago. Free of charge, and I also don't remember giving Gillette my address... [emoji848]

proxy.php

proxy.php

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I would bet if a man from the 1950's got one of these in the mail they would have used this over the others hands down. Back then it was one pass or maybe two on a special occasion. This would have done the job in less time and given them a good shave.

Now we all take heart in using harder to use tools to do the same job. "R41 with a Feather. If my technique is spot on I'm BBS, if not, the razor quickly informs me, with gusto, that I'm wrong". We're some sick puppies.

Top Bottom