What's new

Will the real "Old Spice" please stand up

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
With such a wide array of scents with exotic names, why don't the current owners of the trademark produce an Old Spice that smells like it did 80s years ago?

Because they can't replicate that exact scent with synthetic ingredients. So instead of admitting that they changed the formula when they replaced some of their natural ingredients for synthetic ones in order to make a less costly product to produce, they would rather just believe that actually swapping natural chemicals for synthetic ones is just "swapping" for an "equal" replacement instead of believing the formula has in fact changed; and saying, the "formula has changed."

Because they can't replicate that exact scent with synthetic ingredients. So instead of admitting that they changed the formula when they replaced some of their natural ingredients for synthetic ones in order to make a less costly product to
produce, they would rather just believe that actually swapping natural chemicals for synthetic ones is just "swapping" for an "equal" replacement instead of
believing the formula has in fact changed; and saying, the "formula has changed."
^^ This

Because they can't replicate that exact scent with synthetic ingredients. So instead of admitting that they changed the formula when they replaced some of their natural ingredients for synthetic ones in order to make a less costly product to produce, they would rather just believe that actually swapping natural chemicals for synthetic ones is just "swapping" for an "equal" replacement instead of believing the formula has in fact changed; and saying, the "formula has changed."

BIG Plus 1

Weird how Dollar Store "Old Spice" generics have seemingly disappeared from the planet. There aren't even any on eBay except for one guy trying to sell a bottle for $99!! ***??

None in Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreens, Dollar General or Family Dollar. I've heard that Meijer still carries it, so I'll have to stop by next time I'm in the area.

Weird how Dollar Store "Old Spice" generics have seemingly disappeared from the planet. There aren't even any on eBay except for one guy trying to sell a bottle for $99!! ***??

None in Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreens, Dollar General or Family Dollar. I've heard that Meijer still carries it, so I'll have to stop by next time I'm in the area.

Their website will tell you if they have it or not. Adjust the location for the store you're planning to visit.

https://www.meijer.com/product/heal...1/t1-866/t2/t2-9991/t3/t3-1299/4125096994.uts

I bought two bottles there. However I'm married to a woman who can't stand the scent. So they have been moved to the island of misfit toys, likely for the kids to find and throw away when they're cleaning out for the estate sale.

Their website will tell you if they have it or not. Adjust the location for the store you're planning to visit.

Meijer After Shave Spice 7 oz | Meijer.com

I bought two bottles there. However, I'm married to a woman who can't stand the scent. So they have been moved to the island of misfit toys, likely for the kids to find and throw away when they're cleaning out for the estate sale.

Well, that is a bit morbid but hey you can always do what i do and throw some on anyway. My wife also hates Old Spice but it doesn't stop me.

Meijer After Shave Spice 7 oz | Meijer.com

I bought two bottles there. However I'm married to a woman who can't stand the scent. So they have been moved to the island of misfit toys, likely for the kids to find and throw away when they're cleaning out for the estate sale.
I am lucky not to have a picky wife. She likes everything I wear, but doesn't love any of it. That's the tradeoff, I guess. She refers to Old Spice as "Soft Spice" because of how gentle it smells. She prefers Clubman Special Reserve, and I have to say I do too. I guess Old Spice isn't edgy enough for her. And I must confess I wish it had a bit more edge myself.

. And I must confess I wish it had a bit more edge myself.
If you can deal with some more alcohol and peppercorn burn, try Indian Old Spice. It will drag you right on the edge and keep you pinned there with a slightly more floral scent that hangs about a lot longer than current US Old Spice formula.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If you can deal with some more alcohol and peppercorn burn, try Indian Old Spice. It will drag you right on the edge and keep you pinned there with a slightly more floral scent that hangs about a lot longer than current US Old Spice formula.
Sounds like it's right up my alley.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The last Old Spice (Original) I bought through West Coast Shaving was the India Shulton brand, which is certainly different from the current P&G OTC Old Spice. I just ordered some more Old Spice (Original) from West Coast Shaving, it is still made and formulated in India, but is not labeled as Shulton. It will be interesting to see how they compare.

Not entirely true.

...In his book (Luca Turin) The Secret of Scent, he explains the difficulties of using natural products to make perfumes, illustrating why my homemade attempts were never any good: “In a way, the very existence of perfumery is due to the raw materials being such poor replicas of the real thing. If rose oil really smelled of roses, the perfumer would merely hang her head in shame and give up. Instead, her task is to mix these gnarled, cooked, mangled bits of dried-up living things, and, much like an embalmer, give them the bloom of life once again.”...

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Not entirely true.

How does one define, “not entirely”. True? There’s true and not true? Before those perfumers were any good creating synthetics, natural extracts of essentials was the rule of the day back then. Do you think I think they took actual flowers and thru them in a Nutra Ninja or something?

How does one define, “not entirely”. True? There’s true and not true? Before those perfumers were any good creating synthetics, natural extracts of essentials was the rule of the day back then. Do you think I think they took actual flowers and thru them in a Nutra Ninja or something?

Colognes & perfumes have contained synthetics since before most here were born. Educate yourself via Google.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well, there's truth, and then there's the kinda truth my baby brother tells. His is just more fun.

Man, this thread just keeps going, and going....lol

Great stuff though! Hope it keeps going. Never enough discussion about the great Old Spice!

Top Bottom