What's new

Will the real "Old Spice" please stand up

I thought of this study recently when I was working at a guy's house and he very kindly gave me his father's old stash of Shulton OS. One unopened bottle and one half bottle!

Wow, what an interesting study. A lot of the science went way over my head but it was cool to read nonetheless!

Next begs the questions, where can one purchase the current Indian OS version? Forgive me for not reading all 5 pages of posts but is this something U.S. customers can aquire easily?

Wow, what an interesting study. A lot of the science went way over my head but it was cool to read nonetheless!

Next begs the questions, where can one purchase the current Indian OS version? Forgive me for not reading all 5 pages of posts but is this something U.S. customers can aquire easily?

West Coast Shaving

Excellent thread. I really want to get some Shulton OS does anybody know of an online store in Europe? I can get on e bay but I'd prefer and online store.

I've got 4 bottles of Shulton Old Spice right now - 2 "clipper" aftershaves, 1 "clipper" cologne and 1 "yacht" aftershave dated 1993 after P&G bought them out but before they supposedly reformulated.

So far, I've only opened one of each aftershave, and there is no question that there are differences.
The clipper bottle is much older and it is more sweet and powdery than I expected. It's not a bad thing, but I think that age has really tamed the spice content.
The yacht bottle is a more assertive fragrance, and it has a pronounced burn in comparison to the old or the new. It's closer to what I remember, however, probably because that's the stuff I encountered as a kid...

The current Old Spice, first of all, looks horrible with its cheap plastic and lousy patch design. It is also more expensive than I'd like. On the whole, though, I find it is still good enough for my purposes if I want an Old Spice fix. The carnation/floral notes are bigger and the spiciness is simpler, but it still has a fair amount of spice intensity to make up for its flaws.

With that said, I'm going to keep trying to find the vintage stuff so that I can keep this informal experiment going!
(I haven't gotten around to ordering the Indian A/S yet)

i feel kinda lucky to have recently found a cache of 1993 shulton colognes at a local mom/pop pharmacy. i do enjoy it more than the current variety.

I wore it for years and Vijon the best for the price today but I am looking for some vintage my Dad used up my stash from the 1980s since I got married in 1995 and the wife said NO OS in the house. But she likes Vijon Spice. ??????

I miss the old Ole Spice it was special.

I wore it for years and Vijon the best for the price today but I am looking for some vintage my Dad used up my stash from the 1980s since I got married in 1995 and the wife said NO OS in the house. But she likes Vijon Spice. ??????

I miss the old Ole Spice it was special.

I'd really thought that I'd gathered every possible shaving related item from the front bathroom and moved it all to the back bathroom a year ago. I was in the front one today, putting away some things, when I spotted an OS aftershave bottle, about a third filled, right there where had it been a poisonous snake, I'd have been bitten. Now, I can make the comparison more directly than just from memory!

Just picked up an old Flying Cloud OS decanter that was new in box. I'm sure I'm biased by what I've read, but to my nose, I see a very distinct difference between the new plastic bottles and this. I mean, it's obviously the same general scent, but I would guess that 99/100 people would say there was a difference between the two blinded. I'm just loving this AS right now - it makes me happy to use it, and it was the first AS I have used that drew spontaneous praise from the girlfriend.

proxy.php

I love this post. I am a college student and do paid research at my university. One of the projects I help on uses different chromatography techniques to isolate and eventually quantify specific quorum sensing molecules from bacterial samples. I havent used a GC-MS yet, but our goal is to use that next summer. I really hope that we can do that now so that I can maybe get a bit of "independent research". Great work. Loved reading it.

Suffice to say, P&G destroyed Old Spice. It was so disappointing I used the rest of the bottle while bathing my dogs. Thankfully we can still get the Shulton India Old Spice, which to me is the same as the original before P&G took over the USA operations.

I finally got my hands on my Grandfather's Old Spice after hassling my dear old Granny to send it to me. First of all, I was surprised to discover it was an early Yacht style P&G bottle. I have read somewhere that this makes it 1992 or 1993 and that they were still using the Shulton recipe, can anyone confirm this? Most importantly it smells like I remember, it seems a more rounded fragrance than the current offering IMO a more refined version. Coincidentally a bottle of the Indian OS finally arrived after months of me harassing the seller on e bay, so I have finally been able to do a comparison on the two and I would say they are very similar, they certainly have more in common than they do with the current version. I would say the Indian seems slightly stronger with a bit more alcohol and sharper initial scent but I am putting this down to the age of the vintage sample. Anyway I would absolutely conclude that Old Spice is currently made to a different recipe than it was twenty years ago, IMO the current product is a poor reflection of the old juice. If there are any OS fans who don't have any of the Indian stuff they need to get some because it's a much nicer scent.

I found a boxed bottle of Old Spice in the back of my father's closet a few months back it says Shulton New York. London. Paris. on the back of the bottle, could it be the real deal or did P&G keep the Shulton logo on the bottles for a while after they acquired Old Spice?

I found a boxed bottle of Old Spice in the back of my father's closet a few months back it says Shulton New York. London. Paris. on the back of the bottle, could it be the real deal or did P&G keep the Shulton logo on the bottles for a while after they acquired Old Spice?

There are older threads discussing this. I believe if it says Shulton and not P&G you have original Shulton and the original formulas.

Again if you look for older posts by Clubman Rob, whome I choose to believe, P&G changed the formula right away but but not by much (removed saccharin for something else). Later itations in subsequent years suffered more substantial changes.

Top Bottom