What's new

Will the real "Old Spice" please stand up

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Not worth it.

I am convinced that all versions of Old Spice are more or less the same, the only differences are due to variations of individual chemical suppliers and also the effects of aging on perfume.
I have used OS for over 50 years and agree with you 100%. I don’t buy into this vintage thing. Smells the same to me. There, I said it. It’s P&G for me all the way.

Even if formulations don't change, now that PG is manufacturing in India, it is possible the sources of their ingredients are just a bit different in quality than what they used to be.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Even if formulations don't change, now that PG is manufacturing in India, it is possible the sources of their ingredients are just a bit different in quality than what they used to be.
My recently purchased OS Original was mfg. in Canada. The OS Original I have from India doesn’t even smell like the Original Old Spice of yore.

Hey, I had a question and was looking around for more appropriate threads and I suppose this may be the best.

I have a bottle of the OS Fresh Lime with the spritz top. I like the scent fine but I'm not sure what they were thinking with the top.

Is the idea that you point it at your face and spray it onto your face? I've tried and it gets all over my nose and eyes which is an awful experience. I end up just spraying it in my hand and applying it by hand to my face just like EVERY other aftershave splash I've ever used.

Is that the idea? That someone is supposed to spray this directly on their face?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Hey, I had a question and was looking around for more appropriate threads and I suppose this may be the best.

I have a bottle of the OS Fresh Lime with the spritz top. I like the scent fine but I'm not sure what they were thinking with the top.

Is the idea that you point it at your face and spray it onto your face? I've tried and it gets all over my nose and eyes which is an awful experience. I end up just spraying it in my hand and applying it by hand to my face just like EVERY other aftershave splash I've ever used.

Is that the idea? That someone is supposed to spray this directly on their face?

I think the idea, is to actually close your eyes and mouth, spritz it on your face and then rub it into your face. It probably won't hurt your eye lids if you keep your eyes closed and it won't bother your nose if you don't breathe in when spraying it.

However. In saying this, I also have a couple of OS Lime aftershave bottles with the atomiser and I don't like spraying it on my face either. Not because it bothers my eyes or nose, but because I feel like I waste the part that sprays past my head on either side of my face. It's not the most accurately pin pointed atomiser I have ever used.

I use my right hand to hold the bottle and spray it in my left hand. I like to spray it more on the fingesr portion of my hand, and then I wipe my left hand on my face and neck. it's too much trouble, trying to spray a small puddle into the hand in order to rub the hands together like we do with a pour splash bottle.

so I just mist my left hand, wipe the left side of my face and neck, then spray my left hand again and wipe the right side of my face and neck. Then I put the bottle down and finish rubbing it in with both hands. a lot less waste this way over spraying the face directly with all the extra over spray going over each of the shoulders, instead of directly on the face.

To piggyback off OkieStubble, the old-time barbers used to spray a bit of aftershave into the palm of their hand and then slap it generously onto the backs of customers' necks. I think the atomizer version of aftershave it designed to fit that commercial niche.

Haven't read all 31 pages (though might have in the past :eek2:), but what is the consensus on when P&G changed the formula, or how many times? I have seen so many different years listed.
thanks

Sorry for the ancient thread bump.

I searched high and low today for generic old spice.
Meijer - no
Wal Mart - no
Dollar General - no

Does anybody still make a generic Old Spice? Family Dollar? What about CVS or Walgreens?

I have not found any anywhere! And I have truly looked.... Vintage Avon Spicy is close though!
Thank you for the response. I ended up buying some Shulton on ebay in addition to some India red bottle Old Spice, Looking forward to trying them all. FWIW, I bought some modern P&G Old Spice Classic Aftershave at Meijer today. It's a sad scent with no teeth. :( Nothing like the old stuff. :(

I owned a bottle of the meijer generic old spice and tossed it because I was never going to use it. :(

Soap Commander Endurance is a nice take on it... it's been a long time since I smelled Shulton but Endurance is a lot closer than the modern P&G version. And pricier.

I'll tell you who doesn't make classic Old Spice, P&G. I was at the market today and smelled that brew again. It smells absolutely nothing like Shulton Old spice or even what P&G produced 10 years ago. And not only does it not smell like Old Spice, it's weak to boot.

I'll tell you who doesn't make classic Old Spice, P&G. I was at the market today and smelled that brew again. It smells absolutely nothing like Shulton Old spice or even what P&G produced 10 years ago. And not only does it not smell like Old Spice, it's weak to boot.
Yet those customer reps at P&G will tell you they haven't changed anything...at least that is what they told me.

How can one tell what vintage the Old Spice is? I was in an antique mall today and found two bottles of Old Spice aftershave in their original boxes. They were white bottles with gray stoppers in red boxes that had both the P&G and Shulton names in the fine print on the back of the box. There was also a copyright date of 1993(?) on the box. Googling and looking at images it looks like there are many variations to the boxes and bottles. Shoulda taken a photo of it. (I hid it at the back of the shelf before leaving, though. ;))

There was also a partially used bottle of the lime flavor there, too!

Last edited:
How can one tell what vintage the Old Spice is? I was in an antique mall today and found two bottles of Old Spice aftershave in their original boxes. They were white bottles with gray stoppers in red boxes that had both the P&G and Shulton names in the fine print on the back of the box. There was also a copyright date of 1993(?) on the box. Googling and looking at images it looks like there are many variations to the boxes and bottles. Shoulda taken a photo of it. (I hid it at the back of the shelf before leaving, though. ;))

I don't have anything that new but if the price was right... Did you smell it? If so, was it somewhat of a powerful fragrance? The current product has some notes of the early stuff but it's just incredibly weak smelling to me and my sense of smell is still quite acute. I now have about 10 bottles of original 60's-70's aftershave and cologne to compare the current product to, including 2 boxed sets from the 60's.

I don't have anything that new but if the price was right... Did you smell it? If so, was it somewhat of a powerful fragrance? The current product has some notes of the early stuff but it's just incredibly weak smelling to me and my sense of smell is still quite acute. I now have about 10 bottles of original 60's-70's aftershave and cologne to compare the current product to, including 2 boxed sets from the 60's.
I got to thinking that aficionados could probably break down the Old Spice timeline into three eras, the Shulton era, the P&G/Shulton transition era, and the P&G era. (I could be wrong, there may be more.) They may be able to tell the difference between all of them, I really can't though. So, I guess it all comes down to whether I like the scent. I guess only the nose knows.

I will add this though, when I popped the top off of one of the bottles to sniff it in the store it did burp a bit of the juice on the back of my hand so I spread it on my forearm. Even after I had washed my hands a few times I could still smell the subtle scent of the OS on my arm. It was strong enough to last several hours.

The bottles are $5 each at the antique mall, and I have a $5 store coupon, so I'm going to run by and pick up both of them.

I got to thinking that aficionados could probably break down the Old Spice timeline into three eras, the Shulton era, the P&G/Shulton transition era, and the P&G era. (I could be wrong, there may be more.) They may be able to tell the difference between all of them, I really can't though. So, I guess it all comes down to whether I like the scent. I guess only the nose knows.

I will add this though, when I popped the top off of one of the bottles to sniff it in the store it did burp a bit of the juice on the back of my hand so I spread it on my forearm. Even after I had washed my hands a few times I could still smell the subtle scent of the OS on my arm. It was strong enough to last several hours.

The bottles are $5 each at the antique mall, and I have a $5 store coupon, so I'm going to run by and pick up both of them.
That's a stealovadeal! I found a very long detailed thread here using the search that breaks down OS's history in painstaking detail.

Here's a wealth of information regarding how to tell what era product you find in the wild.

I don't buy anything with P&G on the label, and just stick with Shulton products. (though some will tell you Shulton technically stepped back in the 70's IIRC)

Here's some of my collection...

1664298543017.png

• Love
Reactions: CCS
Top Bottom