What's new

Will the real "Old Spice" please stand up

Just received a couple little plastic travel bottles from the 80s (on AS and one cologne). The AS smells a little sharper than what I'm used too and I don't know if maybe that's because of being stored in plastic (I've seen a few people who seem to believe there is a difference). Anyway, do you think there would be any danger in mixing different batches of the vintage AS? I wouldn't want to ruin what I have on hand.

My little contribution to this...I just received a couple of 50ml bottles of Shulton Original from India. My non-scientific testing (sniffing) confirms that this is much closer to the vintage bottles I have than the P&G, but honestly, not different enough to matter that much to me. I have two full vintage bottles. I keep one in my rotation and I plan to just fill it with P&G juice as needed. I'll keep the other vintage bottle intact. For me personally, the loss of the fantastic glass bottle was a bigger blow than the formula change.

I like the glass bottles bu honestly for the price I ain't quibbling... It's not like we're getting ripped off either way methinks.

As a recent re-convert to OS I can honestly say the chicks in the office dig it!!!

Ok, here's a question. I recently bought a bottle of Old Spice from an Indian seller on ebay. His pictures still had the shulton logo on them. BUT, when I got my bottle, it had P&G on the back and no mention of Shulton (he sold many of these and I suspect he didn;t check his latest batch). I complained to him and thus far he is resisting because he says it is Shulton Old Spice marketed by P&G (?). Initially, I thought it smellt a bit different to the regular Old Spice we now have. But then when I saw P&G I thought I was making it up and initially thought when they dried they smelled the same. Sadly, my fiancee has since confirmed I am wrong and they both smell different (and she prefers indian old spice). Does anyone else have a bottle of P&G Indian Old Spice and is it still the same as the Shulton bottles? I would really be grateful for some help on that.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
As of January 2013, P&G has taken distribution of Old Spice in India back, where it was formerly produced by Menezes.
Old Spice has made the rounds in India, changing hands for distribution 3 times since P&G bought the Brand from Shulton in 1993.
There are no reports as of yet that P&G has done anything to the Indian Old Spice formula, rather they took control to push the market as sales had been dwindling recently.

http://articles.economictimes.india...zes-cosmetics-largest-consumer-products-maker

It seems that no one was throwing conspiracies out there when American Cyanamid bought Shulton in the 70's, but with the internet P&G has become the new Illuminati. Maybe our forefathers didn't care that much and just rolled with the punches better.

I tend to think this statement is 100% true.

Boy, that is using SCIENCE to answer a question alright. Now that, P&G is taking back over in India, does that mean they will use the NEW or OLD formula?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Boy, that is using SCIENCE to answer a question alright. Now that, P&G is taking back over in India, does that mean they will use the NEW or OLD formula?

FWIW P&G is taking over the Marketing of Old Spice in India. Not necessarily the manufacturing.

Last edited:
My understanding is that Shulton has not produced OS in India for many years, i.e., WCS wasnt selling Shulton-made OS when this study was conducted and isn't now, and if true the Abstract to this study is incorrect. Bottom line, whatever is being produced in India might have the chemical similarities to aged American made OS, but any lineage to Shulton is broken and its just another P&G outspurcer who should get credit or blame.

I'd love to head from someone who knows the corporate license history. Thanks.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My understanding is that Shulton has not produced OS in India for many years, i.e., WCS wasnt selling Shulton-made OS when this study was conducted and isn't now, and if true the Abstract to this study is incorrect. Bottom line, whatever is being produced in India might have the chemical similarities to aged American made OS, but any lineage to Shulton is broken and its just another P&G outspurcer who should get credit or blame.

I'd love to head from someone who knows the corporate license history. Thanks.

What he's alluding to by Shulton India is the implication of an original "Shulton" recipe, as opposed to a purported reformulated recipe as instituted by P&G in the U.S.
Clearly Shulton has been hands off of Old Spice for ages. I don't think anyone here thinks that the Old Spice in India is being made by Shulton as they essentially ceased to exist as far as Old Spice goes.

Although, if you think about it, no famous fragrance in existence 30 years ago is currently being produced by the exact same people (obviously), in the exact same process, or likely with the exact same ingredients, even though the company name may be the same. The world has changed, and even the famous fragrance houses are only producing "copies" of their old frags.

What he's alluding to by Shulton India is the implication of an original "Shulton" recipe, as opposed to a purported reformulated recipe as instituted by P&G in the U.S.
Clearly Shulton has been hands off of Old Spice for ages. I don't think anyone here thinks that the Old Spice in India is being made by Shulton as they essentially ceased to exist as far as Old Spice goes.

Although, if you think about it, no famous fragrance in existence 30 years ago is currently being produced by the exact same people (obviously), in the exact same process, or likely with the exact same ingredients, even though the company name may be the same. The world has changed, and even the famous fragrance houses are only producing "copies" of their old frags.

I certainly didn't think the same people were involved, but I did believe the Shulton company in India actually produced the AS used in this study and also produces the AS sold by WCS today.

From the Abstract: "...currently produced Shulton Old Spice (a product of India)"

From WCS' website today:

Description
The original Old Spice after shave, made by Shulton in India using the traditional formula.

Size: 50ml

Made in India.

I guess I've misread the thread, right?

Love the vintage Old Spice though!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I certainly didn't think the same people were involved, but I did believe the Shulton company in India actually produced the AS used in this study and also produces the AS sold by WCS today.

From the Abstract: "...currently produced Shulton Old Spice (a product of India)"

From WCS' website today:

Description
The original Old Spice after shave, made by Shulton in India using the traditional formula.

Size: 50ml

Made in India.

I guess I've misread the thread, right?

Love the vintage Old Spice though!

No, I'm not implying that. I'm just saying that I think the intent was to compare some Vintage juice to a current run said to be the old recipe and a current run said to be a "new" recipe.
I just didn't read any more into it than that, regardless of what names marketing gurus may decide to call it.
My second point was merely that nothing truly remains the same, and we could carry the idea that the "old recipe" from India is just an interpretation over to just about any product made today that originated an appreciable period in our past.

FWIW - I love old Old Spice too.

(but I'm also a huge fan of the Veg, so you may take my opinion on fragrances with a grain of salt :lol:)

No, I'm not implying that. I'm just saying that I think the intent was to compare some Vintage juice to a current run said to be the old recipe and a current run said to be a "new" recipe.
I just didn't read any more into it than that, regardless of what names marketing gurus may decide to call it.
My second point was merely that nothing truly remains the same, and we could carry the idea that the "old recipe" from India is just an interpretation over to just about any product made today that originated an appreciable period in our past.

FWIW - I love old Old Spice too.

(but I'm also a huge fan of the Veg, so you may take my opinion on fragrances with a grain of salt :lol:)

Referring to "Shilton old spice" might confused some – at least it confused me. In any event, the study reported in this thread is indeed excellent!

For what it's worth, I just landed a full bottle of 50-year-old Old Spice: more on that in another thread.

And I love the Veg too...

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Because of this thread, I ordered some Old Spice original (my local Old Spice is marked Made in Canada) and I have a bottle of the original Old Spice, the Shulton formula made in India (not the vintage stuff). I will report back but I already started with the regular (Canadian made) Old Spice and it's actually nice, better than I thought.

One of the funny thing that they wrote on the box
If your grand-pa didn't wear Old Spice, you wouldn't be there

Top Bottom