What's new

Will the real "Old Spice" please stand up

A few thoughts:

First, having gone through a bottle of Indian OS, I don't smell the comparison to Shulton. I mean, I understand why the comparison is made, because yeah, it's still recognizably Old Spice and I get a lighter, breezier vibe from it, which may compare to vintage for some, but Shulton in its various iterations over the decades never used pink pepper. Indian OS has a noticeable pink pepper and black pepper accord off the top, and has a vague fruity vibe, which could be the pepper carrying through the drydown. I had a female friend try it and she said it smelled "pink." I couldn't agree more.

The Vijon Spice version, if memory serves me (please anyone correct me if I'm wrong), was subjected to litigation by P&G because they thought the formula was stolen or something. Anyway, I mixed one part Vijon to three parts P&G "Classic" and after letting it sit for 6 months unused found it REALLY smells good.

I have a bottle of OS "Original" aftershave that my parents brought back from Ireland, it's in the glass (not ceramic) bottle. It seems more citrusy and transparent than the American and Indian versions. It's different, but hard to pinpoint how, exactly. But again, it smells like Old Spice.

Speaking of Vijon OS, I used it today. I really like the scent but it just doesn't last on me. I may get 2 hours at best.

Speaking of Vijon OS, I used it today. I really like the scent but it just doesn't last on me. I may get 2 hours at best.
It's still there you have just become desensitized and can't smell it.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I finished off a bottle of original Old Spice a couple of weeks ago and refilled it with the modern stuff. I can't tell the difference although I can see the gas chromatigraph differences at the start of the thread. I used a very small funnel left over from buying knock-off perfume years ago. The seller provided the funnel to transfer the knock-off into the real bottles. Amazon has them, but it is hard to tell if they are small enough because they don't provide dimensions.

Comment #22 on this post on B&B says the following:

OK so when Old Spice brand was globally with Shulton, Indian manufacturing practices required a local Indian company to collaborate and make the global product in India. When P& took over globally, the India contract did not go through till around 2 years back as the Shulton - India manufacturer contract was still in place. In effect Old Spice in India stayed outside of P&G till that contract expired.

Hence till such time that P&G took over the contract / brand in India, the Shulton formula and the branding as Shulton was the original stuff - which was somwhere more on the floral / Talc scent.

After P&G the formulation atleast to my nose has changed in subtle ways, maybe to do with the ingredients, however it is not substantial.

I'd be curious to have the scientific analysis done on a current bottle of Indian Old Spice.

Indian Old Spice is in the analysis. Go back and check again.
Indian Old Spice from 2012 is in the analysis. According the post I quoted, the Indian manufacturing process changed 2-3 years ago, which means the original analysis of the Indian Old Spice may no longer be valid. I would think that, by 2018, even New Old Stock of stuff made prior to 2014-2015 has dried up.

If this has been discussed elsewhere, please forgive my question. There are so many posts on the B&B site it's hard to find everything.

Anyway, I'm in Germany for work, and while stocking up on my German faves (Tabac products and Speick cream) I saw some Old Spice in a glass bottle manufactured in the U.K. I just bought it tonight, so haven't tried it.

Anyone know how that version stacks up?

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm in Germany for work, and … I saw some Old Spice in a glass bottle manufactured in the E.U. By P&G in the UK.

I tried it this morning and it seems better than the US version, and better than the ViJohn version from CVS. The scent had terrific longevity. If I could smell it most of the day, maybe that's why no one sat next to me on the train!

Paul

And to further beat a dead horse. Was the P&G Old Spice that was tested Old Spice Original or Old Spice Classic?
Even I am interested to know where does the Indian Old spice stands. Am in india and present lot (2018) of original is just appallingly bad. Fresh Lime is saving grace but just by whiskers

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm in Germany for work, and … I saw some Old Spice in a glass bottle manufactured in the E.U. By P&G in the UK.

I tried it this morning and it seems better than the US version, and better than the ViJohn version from CVS. The scent had terrific longevity. If I could smell it most of the day, maybe that's why no one sat next to me on the train!

Paul

Lol. Yes, the Old Spice scent is either a love it or hate it thing. I hated it as a teen, now I love it, as an old 56 year old. I just yesterday put about 25 drops of Bergamot essential oil in a Dollar store Vijon and I have an awesome (to my nose) homemade OS Lime! Enjoy the rest of your stay in Germany, Dave

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Here is my take on Old Spice: OS was probably the first AS I ever used back in the mid 1960’s and I have used it off and on throughout my shaving life. The old stuff was quite strong. There was nothing subtle about it. I gave up on it altogether several years ago because it was just too much but I missed that wonderful Old Spice scent. I recently picked up a bottle of the “Classic” version and was pleasantly surprised. It has been calmed down. While more subtle the scent seems very much the same and there is also now an Old Spice Classic cologne to go with it. I’m very pleased with the Classic and prefer it over what in now referred to as “vintage”.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Here is my take on Old Spice: OS was probably the first AS I ever used back in the mid 1960’s and I have used it off and on throughout my shaving life. The old stuff was quite strong. There was nothing subtle about it. I gave up on it altogether several years ago because it was just too much but I missed that wonderful Old Spice scent. I recently picked up a bottle of the “Classic” version and was pleasantly surprised. It has been calmed down. While more subtle the scent seems very much the same and there is also now an Old Spice Classic cologne to go with it. I’m very pleased with the Classic and prefer it over what in now referred to as “vintage”.
Very interesting. I'll have to sniff some of those. Thank You!

Top Bottom