What's new

Will the real "Old Spice" please stand up

Who wouldn't fall in love with this bottle? :001_rolle

View attachment 811543

I'm discovering that the market for old empty Avon bottles isn't big. Many folks can't give their bottles away for $1-2. Even shipped from out of state isn't bad - just shipping weight.
I paid $2 for this little keeper. Filled it from my stash once it was cleaned.
A glass bottle like this, I would love! It's the numerous, crazy gift set bottles I see everywhere that I wouldn't want to start collecting.

Someone on here was collecting the Avon bottles that looked like books, and refilling them with various AS. Those would be OK, as they're low profile and easily stored. I've just seen a lot of bottles shaped like ships, lighthouses, cars, motorcycles, hammers, etc. that seem like they would require a lot of shelf space.

Someone on here was collecting the Avon bottles that looked like books, and refilling them with various AS. Those would be OK, as they're low profile and easily stored.

I would be one of those people. The book bottles really are perfect of compact storage yet ready to use.

Several times in the past, in this thread, and at least one or two others, I've jumped up and down proclaiming my disdain for modern OS. I had tried it once last year, and completely hated it, and threw it away.

A year later, and I have purchased another bottle of modern OS, with the intention of decanting it into a vintage OS milk glass bottle, to see if that helped any. I haven't decanted it yet (I just bought it last night), but I used it this morning, and it smells completely fine to me. I have some vintage OS, but it's P&G, sometime around 1993, and yes, there is a difference, but the bottle I bought last night is not unpleasant to me like I remember from last year.

I'll still decant it into the vintage bottle, just because it doesn't belong in a plastic bottle, but I felt like I owed it to everyone to say that I may have changed my mind about modern OS.

A year later, and I have purchased another bottle of modern OS, with the intention of decanting it into a vintage OS milk glass bottle, to see if that helped any. I haven't decanted it yet (I just bought it last night), but I used it this morning, and it smells completely fine to me. I have some vintage OS, but it's P&G, sometime around 1993, and yes, there is a difference, but the bottle I bought last night is not unpleasant to me like I remember from last year.

I'm surprised that the old P&G smells different than the new P&G. My understanding was that P&G changed the formula to use cheaper ingredients when they initially bought the product from Shulton. Have you tried Shulton OS to see how it compares to Old P&G and New P&G?

I'm surprised that the old P&G smells different than the new P&G. My understanding was that P&G changed the formula to use cheaper ingredients when they initially bought the product from Shulton. Have you tried Shulton OS to see how it compares to Old P&G and New P&G?
No, I still haven't tried any of the Shulton OS. The next time I need to order some more Personna Reds, I'll get them from West Coast Shaving and I'll get a bottle of the good stuff, too.

I posted this elsewhere around here but I have a fair bit of the old stuff left (I liked it back in the day and received bottles every Xmas). About a year ago, I bought a bottle of the new stuff after having read so many strong opinions on new vs. old. I recall thinking there was a slight difference in scent which I didn't attribute to the claimed change in formula so much as the old stuff sitting in bottles for 20-30 years and the new stuff being fresh. I found the new scent just as pleasing although slightly different.

Here's the thing. I had a couple empty Shulton glass bottles and decanted the new stuff into one of them. I didn't mark the bottle and now, I can't tell the difference between whatever that bottle was and some identical bottles with the old product. For me, anyway, it's much ado about nothing. If I had none of the old stuff left, I'd be completely happy with the new stuff (but I do wish they would offer it in the old style bottles instead if the horribly cheap looking plastic bottles).

I posted this elsewhere around here but I have a fair bit of the old stuff left (I liked it back in the day and received bottles every Xmas). About a year ago, I bought a bottle of the new stuff after having read so many strong opinions on new vs. old. I recall thinking there was a slight difference in scent which I didn't attribute to the claimed change in formula so much as the old stuff sitting in bottles for 20-30 years and the new stuff being fresh. I found the new scent just as pleasing although slightly different.

Here's the thing. I had a couple empty Shulton glass bottles and decanted the new stuff into one of them. I didn't mark the bottle and now, I can't tell the difference between whatever that bottle was and some identical bottles with the old product. For me, anyway, it's much ado about nothing. If I had none of the old stuff left, I'd be completely happy with the new stuff (but I do wish they would offer it in the old style bottles instead if the horribly cheap looking plastic bottles).
Yeah, when you look at it like that, I can't imagine what it would smell like after 20 years in the cheap plastic bottle!

Thanks for this! That gives me a little hope - now that I like the new stuff, it may actually get a little better going back into glass.

I don't know if those plastic bottle would off-gas or impart any plastic scent into the product after X number of years but if you have an old empty OS glass bottle and one of those freebie syringes you can get at a pharmacy for kid dosing, I would decant it into the old bottle.

I have the vintage bottle, but I don't have a syringe. I was thinking about making a small funnel out of aluminum foil, using a small nail as a form for the spout. I'll report back in day or two with the results on how that works!

I don't know if those plastic bottle would off-gas or impart any plastic scent into the product after X number of years but if you have an old empty OS glass bottle and one of those freebie syringes you can get at a pharmacy for kid dosing, I would decant it into the old bottle.

The only experience I have with products in a plastic bottle is a small plastic travel bottle of 1980s MEM English Leather. The product in that bottle is the same as the similar aged EL I have in the regular glass bottle. But different products can react differently.

I was thinking about making a small funnel out of aluminum foil, using a small nail as a form for the spout.
It was a little bit messy, but that's OK, as I worked over the sink. I probably got about 90-95% of it transferred over into the glass bottle. I will definitely look for a syringe or a tiny funnel before I do this next time!!

On the upside, my hands smelled nice when I was done!!

I picked up these Old Spice and Stetson aftershaves at a rummage sale this past weekend, the Stetson was in it's original box and the the Spice was 3/4 full. I got the both of the for $1. The Stetson seems new but it is cloudy, I have seen this sold at Walmart and it is a goldish brown there, it smells fine just wondering if the changed the formula. Can't tell the year of either bottle.

Attachments

• OodSpice.jpg
    OodSpice.jpg
    873.2 KB · Views: 39
I picked up these Old Spice and Stetson aftershaves at a rummage sale this past weekend, the Stetson was in it's original box and the the Spice was 3/4 full. I got the both of the for $1. The Stetson seems new but it is cloudy, I have seen this sold at Walmart and it is a goldish brown there, it smells fine just wondering if the changed the formula. Can't tell the year of either bottle.

I used to buy Stetson when it originally came out. It was never cloudy looking. I'm not sure what might cause that.

I have a fairly recent Stetson cologne or edt, that is clear. But judging from what is on the label of the Stetson in the photo, it looks like this is intended to be some sort of balm rather than a straight up AS. There may be a ton on stuff in one place or other on dating Old Spice versions. There should be some real experts out there.

used it and it is definitely not Old Spice as I have used before. It is a more modern scent kinda like the fresh scent deodorant they sell. The color is a blue aqua shade and is not really that bad, just not old spice.

used it and it is definitely not Old Spice as I have used before. It is a more modern scent kinda like the fresh scent deodorant they sell. The color is a blue aqua shade and is not really that bad, just not old spice.
I recently got a bottle of Old Spice Swagger, that smells just like the Swagger deodorant, so it makes sense that their "fresh" AS would smell like the fresh scent deodorant. They have quite a few modern scents that are made and sold in Europe, that I wish they would sell over here. I guess aftershave usage has dropped so much since the '70s/'80s here in the US that it's just not worth it to them - I don't know...

I recently purchase a bottle of Old Spice at Walmart. It smells nothing like dad's version in the late 70's. It has a smell that I will call neutral, not bad but not good either. And for these reasons I think it's terrible.

Top Bottom