What's new

Will the real "Old Spice" please stand up

I got to thinking that aficionados could probably break down the Old Spice timeline into three eras, the Shulton era, the P&G/Shulton transition era, and the P&G era. (I could be wrong, there may be more.) They may be able to tell the difference between all of them, I really can't though. So, I guess it all comes down to whether I like the scent. I guess only the nose knows.

I will add this though, when I popped the top off of one of the bottles to sniff it in the store it did burp a bit of the juice on the back of my hand so I spread it on my forearm. Even after I had washed my hands a few times I could still smell the subtle scent of the OS on my arm. It was strong enough to last several hours.

The bottles are $5 each at the antique mall, and I have a $5 store coupon, so I'm going to run by and pick up both of them.
Well??

Chris, @CCS I find the Italian Old Spice to be good stuff. It is quite rich and complex and seems to be the best current representative of the original, if that is possible.

However my earliest memories, from the early 60's of the Old Spice scent is coloured by an overwhelming richness and strength. I suspect this is the strange memory of scent, which triggers a strong early 'memory' that lingers in a complex way in the brain.

As a foreinstance, I lived in Nottingham in 66-8 I was about 6 years old. My dad worked at the Jaguar plant in Coventry. Only a few miles away. He made the chrome leaping jaguars that went on the bonnets (hoods). There was a big GoodYear tyre factory nearby, (I still recall the giant GoodYear winged sign over the factory) it must have been there since the 20's. That was when we still actually made things in England, but I digress..

The smell of rubber permeated the area, and even now, if I smell oldskool rubber tyres it completely transports me back to the summers of 1966-8 with an amazing detail of memory, when the smell was always intense.

The same with Italian Old Spice. It is good stuff actually IMO.

Last edited:
Chris, @CCS I find the Italian Old Spice to be good stuff. It is quite rich and complex and seems to be the best current representative of the original, if that is possible.

However my earliest memories, from the early 60's of the Old Spice scent is coloured by an overwhelming richness and strength. I suspect this is the strange memory of scent, which triggers a strong early 'memory' that lingers in a complex way in the brain.

As a foreinstance, I lived in Nottingham in 66-8 I was about 6 years old. My dad worked at the Jaguar plant in Coventry. Only a few miles away. He made the chrome leaping jaguars that went on the bonnets (hoods). There was a big GoodYear tyre factory nearby, (I still recall the giant GoodYear winged sign over the factory) it must have been there since the 20's. That was when we still actually made things in England, but I digress..

The smell of rubber permeated the area, and even now, if I smell oldskool rubber tyres it completely transports me back to the summers of 1966-8 with an amazing detail of memory, when the smell was always intense.

The same with Italian Old Spice. It is good stuff actually IMO.
Where does one find Italian Old Spice? I'm aware of Old Spice from India but not Italy. A google search didn't lead to anything obvious (to me, anyway).

Where does one find Italian Old Spice? I'm aware of Old Spice from India but not Italy. A google search didn't lead to anything obvious (to me, anyway).
Here
"Old Spice Original After Shave for Men, 150ml + Free Delivery - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Old-Spice-Original-After-Shave/dp/B001HVA4G6/ref=sr_1_5_mod_primary_new?crid=2H74L75DM3KE0&keywords=old+spice+aftershave&qid=1664427825&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjcxIiwicXNhIjoiMi42NCIsInFzcCI6IjIuNDAifQ%3D%3D&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sprefix=OLD+%2Caps%2C162&sr=8-5

This is what I use. Unsure if they would ship to the 'States though..

I get mine from local stores, and it is good stuff. Lasts about 3-4 hours, longer with the more subtle aftertones. BS reviews in my opinion..

Interesting. I noted the link you posted didn't have a price so was likely out of stock but I had no idea they made it in Italy as well as India (and the US). Helluva list of ingredients on the Italian made OS. But trust me when I say, the current product available for sale in American stores is NOTHING like the original.

I don't know why I keep getting drawn to OS topics. At my age, I've got enough of the old stuff to last out my years and then some, especially as I've been drawn to a few Proraso aftershave scents as well as Speick. I'm outta my mind... ;)

Last edited:
Interesting. I noted the link you posted didn't have a price so was likely out of stock but I had no idea they made it in Italy as well. Helluva list of ingredients on the Italian made OS. But trust me when I say, the current product available for sale in American stores is NOTHING like the original.
Check the other listings on the page. I pay about £8.95. It is good stuff. HQ is the P&G location in Weybridge Surrey. Interesting because they also handle Blue Stratos, a great Shulton scent from the 70's also, but this is made in England. A rich classic aqua with complex notes, punches way above it's price point. Another of my fav scents

Well, here’s what I got.

22A29115-2230-4698-BBD2-AA21156A1FAE.jpeg60DAE847-FADE-41C9-9163-328EFBF9FAF0.jpeg

It is two bottles. Using the coupon and including tax it was $5.80, out the door.

One of the bottles’ scent has a slightly sharper odor that’s apparent initially, but it fades away quickly while wearing it. That’s the bottle I tried yesterday. I’ll probably use that one first and store the other one under a light vacuum seal to keep air away from it.

I'm going to stop by some of the Indian grocery stores here locally to see if they have/can import the juice from India.

Good stuff!

Check the other listings on the page. I pay about £8.95. It is good stuff. HQ is the P&G location in Weybridge Surrey. Interesting because they also handle Blue Stratos, a great Shulton scent from the 70's also, but this is made in England. A rich classic aqua with complex notes, punches way above it's price point. Another of my fav scents
I still pick up blue stratos from a local discount store, as you said, for the price its a no brainer, it is as good as far more expensive a/s.

Just finishing off a bottle of this, uk based so uk bought, and it always takes me back to being a teenager when I used to get the old spice gift pack for Xmas 😂

Thanks. If I go through the 9 mostly full bottles of aftershave and cologne (including a 9.25 oz bottle of aftershave, I'll look into the Italian made more closely. As OS is just in rotation with a few more modern products, I'm sure I'll die with a few bottles left. Hope my kids don't dumpster it.

Top Bottom