What's new

Will my old Gillette tech razor shave as good as the new razors?

Personally, I prefer a ball-end Gillette Tech to anything else. I have an Edwin Jagger DE89, which is a beautiful razor, and a couple of superspeeds, but if you're getting great shaves with your Tech, why switch? Some guys CAN'T get a good shave with a Tech, and some guys (like me) get their best shaves with a Tech. It really is a YMMV situation, even with Techs; some guys swear by a fat-handle, some like the ball-end, etc.

Really, the three piece design of a Tech is as simple and elegant as it gets, and all other three piece razors (including modern ones) share the same basic design. Even the ultra-cool and pricey Feather All Stainless is basically a Tech design. Now, heads differ as far as blade angle, blade exposure, and such, but these aren't improvements per se. They're just different setups for different preferences. In other words, while there are those who certainly get better shaves from different razors, old and new, the Tech's design (IF it works for you) is a classic, and there's no reason to look for a modern update of it.

If you do want to try out some other razors, well, we're all prone to buying shiny new stuff around here; enjoy your quest. And if you find you greatly prefer your Tech, you can always sell your other razors on the BS&T.

I have a few of vintage razors: 1956 Superspeed, 1961 Fat Boy, and a 1963 Slim (like the one used by the old 007!). I find that they will give as good of a shave as most, not all, of the "new" razors I have. In particular, my Merkur Progress can outshave about anything with less effort, even if I don't use the perfect angle. My vintage razors seem a little more finicky about angle. It may be the design of the comb, but I'm not sure. I can tell you that I really enjoy using the old razors, along with that feeling of continuity and a connection to the shavers of old.

I love my ball-end tech, it's one of my favorites. It's a great starter razor and very forgiving. Stay with it, your not missing anything.

"As good as" is highly subjective/YMMV. You'd need to try and compare the options yourself to see what works and what doesn't work for you. Unless a vintage razor is defective there's nothing that keeps vintage razors from providing a good shave if they're suited for you. Consider how many fans there are of the vintage razors around here. I'm not one of them but I can't tell you that my preference is identical to your own. No one else can tell you either which is exactly why you need to experience the options first hand.

Welcome! I haven't shaved with a Tech but I have used multiple Super Speed models (some of which shave similarly to a Tech). In general, vintage Gillettes from the 40's to 80's will be pretty mild shavers. Most modern razors (with some exceptions like the Feather AS) tend to be more aggressive. I'd say stick with your Tech for now and maybe try upgrading to a 40's Super Speed if you want a tad more aggressiveness. If you feel after awhile that you'd like a more aggressive razor, try a Merkur HD, EJ DE89, or a vintage Gillette Fat Boy.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Newer, older, not really relevant. DE technology hasn't changed much since the early '50s. The real question is simply whether or not the Tech is the right razor for you. I personally think they are a great razor, inexpensive, durable and simple. Some others want something that shaves a little harder because the Tech is pretty mild.

The great thing about wet-shaving is that you can go as simple or as extravagant as you'd like. I get as great a shave with a Fat Tech/Feather combo compared to any of my English Aristocrats. It's a matter of preference.

Welcome to B&B!
Just wondering if it would benefit me to go with a new model as opposed to my old Gillette tech?
The only way to know is to try various razors and compare the results. If you are getting good results with the vintage Gillette, you may or may not be inspired to spend the money getting another razor to compare against.

I've tried over a dozen razors, both old and new. One of my first was a ball end Tech. I rapidly moved on to more aggressive razors. I figured that more aggressive had to mean a better, closer shave. After more than a year, I pulled out the Tech and was blown away with how well it now performed. I've picked up a second, Fat handled Tech ( my only duplicate) and I reach for them more often than any of my other razors. Nothing else gives me such an effortless BBS shave.

Mike

Get one or two of everything you like and try it out! I'm a vintage guy so I am biased. I just finished a week of using my 1940's fat-handled Tech and it worked just fine. The Tech willl give you great shaves.

I gave away my ball end tech to my youngest son when he dropped and broke his razor. I bought myself an Edwin Jagger DE8911 to replace it. Three months later I bought another ball end tech and I haven't used the Jagger since. So yes for some people a tech is better than a new razor.

Top Bottom