What's new

Will my Dad like it?

Hello all, I know I'm fairly new to this site, and traditional wetshaving in general. I'm only 18 though, and I'm glad I converted early so I still have the rest of my life to enjoy this new found ritual :thumbup:

My dad, however, is still using his Mach 3 in what he considers a chore. I've been trying to tell him of the wonders of DE shaving, (he admits, my face is really smooth) although he still hasn't tried it yet. So, I've decided to take matters into my own hands and make him a shaving kit for Father's Day.

So far I have:

- A 1956 Gillette Super Speed in near mint condition with its original case. I chose 1956 because this is the year he was born. I also chose the Super Speed because I just received my 40s SS a few days ago, and I was surprised at how wonderful it shaves. I know they're not the exact same razor, but I hear you can't really go wrong with a Super Speed.

- A 100 pack of Israeli Personnas. I got these because not only are they cheap and efficient, but they are smooth and sharp, although pretty forgiving at the same time.

What I'm planning on getting:

- As for the brush, I'm currently using a Wee Scot (upgrade from a sub $40 Vulfix Best Badger, which I have a sneaking suspicion is actually a pure badger brush). The Vulfix felt scratchy on my face, but the Wee Scot is nice and smooth. It's also highly conservative of creams. I used my Eton College sample today, and I swirled a tiny bit onto the brush but it literally exploded into a thick, two pass shave plus touch ups. The Scot also makes me smile every time I see it :biggrin1:

- After Shave Balm, I will probably get him Nivea Sensitive ASB. No frills here. This ASB is cheap, readily available, but I feel it's highly effective. My dad seems to be a no frills shaving guy, so I think this will suit him well.

What I need help on...

The part where I want some input, however, is the shaving cream. I've decided cream would be preferable to soap because of the ease of use. I want something that won't break the bank, but is also of high quality. My first thought was Proraso (I've used Bigelow after after track practice and loved it) although the menthol kick may not be for everyone. Especially in the winter. It get's REALLY cold in central New York State.

I want something that will last a long time, works well, and smells pretty good too. I was thinking something along the lines of TOBS Avocado. I've heard good things about it, although I hear the scent is love or hate. I also hear Musgo Real is good, although it may gunk up a badger brush.

So, do you think my dad will enjoy this shaving kit? This is the first time I've really put a thought and effort into getting a gift for my dad, and I feel I would be leaving him with a nice remembrance before I go to college (especially if I'm lucky enough to get into the Naval Academy, where I'll hardly be seeing my family). This is something I really enjoy, and I hope he will too. If you guys have any input or ideas I would appreciate it. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Personally get him a sample pack of creams, you can get those on the internet, that way he can see which one he likes, a long with a soap or two for options. Other than that, great job. He'd be happy with it (as well as everyone here would be too).

You've given me a great idea for my father's birthday. I'm anxious to hear how he likes the kit!

Check out Mama Bear's for soaps. I'm sure you'll be able to find something he'll like, and quite a bit cheaper than TOBS. High quality and great scents to boot. I'm using the Sweet Vetiver right now, and it's great.

I'm sure your dad will like what you've got for him. All he has to do is give it a shot. Once he does, I'm sure he'll be hooked.

As for the cream, get both a tube and a tub of soap of Proraso. It smells great, and makes a very nice lather. I'd get the white tub of soap, not the green. Then show dad how to mix up a nice lather from either or both combined. Good luck. :thumbup1:

Wow! That is a great gift you have put together. I think the TOBS Avocado is a great cream, but like you said, the scent is love it or hate it. How about some TOBS Almond or Shaving shop? Great lather and the scents are pretty nice.

Wow great idea, though I can't use it, I got my Dad's 50's SS and and I don't think he would be very interested. He's more of the "use up what I have" types anyway.

Though I have some ideas for you. You can't go wrong with soaps and corresponding aftershaves made by Saint Charles Shave and Gentlemen's Best, both top notch and IMHO and your get more bang for you buck.

Also an excellent choice is Ogallala Bay Rum, classic scent and some with twists. (You may want to get some yourself, as its has is roots in sailor history; bay rum I mean)

Last edited:
Gee, sounds great! I was born in 1956 and I know I would love to get something like this from my kids!

I do like the Bigelows, don't have any others myself yet, so sorry I can't advise.

-jim

If he don't go for it I'd be game for adopting you... I'm a 1957, but a '56 SS would right up my tree. IP's are my favorite blade, and I'm not all that fussy about the soap as long as lathers well. :laugh:

I was thinking of doing the same for my dad's birthday. He came to visit in England before we left, and tried my TOBS Lavendar, and TOBS Sandalwood. Then he asked me a few months ago where I got it, so I gave him the rest of what I had. Personnally, I would go with either of these scents over the avocado.

Shoeboxshave and the shaveden both have samples of different creams. Shoeboxshave does samples of Frasers, while shaveden does samples of many different brands.

Awesome idea! I wouldn't shy away from the Musgo because of 'gunking up the brush'...it won't. I've used it many, many times with my badger brush and had no problems whatsoever. :thumbup1:

Speik is a great cream and very affordable. Some don't care for the scent but I really like it. It is kind of sweetly citrus with a hint of spices and pepper, if that makes any sense to you.

As far as creams that clog brushes, a little shampoo will clean the residue out. So, don't let that factor sway you too much. There are several other methods for cleaning and maintaining brushes as well. Good luck.

Great gift for your father, I am sure he will be quite happy with whatever you decide on.

The Body Shop has a very nice cream. RiteAid and Target carry Real Shave Co cream that is reportedly quite nice also.

Personally, if it were my old man (born in 57) I'd buy him an old spice mug and either whip up some Van Der Spice to put in it, or get some mama bear's Aged Spice.

But then, I'd be a little late, as my Father has had an OS mug sitting on his sink since before I was born. I'm still tempted to pick him up some Mama Bear's Aged spice, since the VDH he stuck in it as a space-taker hasn't been used. Mostly due to the fact that he hasn't actually shaved regularly since '94 when he retired from the Army. All he does anymore is run over his beard with a trimmer once a year for summer and trim his mustache.

+1 on KMF product!

As a dad (and I am sure I speak for all dads?!) I think you are putting together one heck of a fathers day gift!

Now tuck some new y fronts and a pair of wool socks in the package and you are good!

I think it's only a good idea if he gave you an indication that he might be interested in trying it. If not, then you're simply forcing something you like on him and expecting him to become a convert, and he may feel obligated to do so given the huge amount of money you're spending on this.

Now, if he expressed an interest in trying DE, then this could be a good gift. But what if doesn't like it? Sure, he could give it all back to you, but he'll feel guilty for doing so. Why not just start simple--give him the razor, a 5 pack of IPs, and a brushless shave cream. Then, if he likes it, you can surprise him with the other stuff. If he doesn't like it, you can return the other stuff (or keep it yourself)

For me, it would be the equivalent of my kids giving me an $150 electric razor and a $50 bottle of smelly aftershave. I wouldn't want to use either of these things but would feel very uncomfortable telling them this.

Just my .02

Jeff in Boston

Thanks for all the replies! A lot of great help guys. Jeff, I know what you're saying and I've thought about that myself as well. Luckily I haven't exactly broken the bank yet, although I was considering a brushless cream just in case he didn't like it that much.

I've been really interested in Musgo Real myself, and I hear it works great brushless or with a brush, and I suppose cleaning a brush is no big deal. I also hear the scent is fantastic. Perhaps I'll try that one. I've also heard great things about Mama Bear soaps and Ogallala Bay Rum. All of these suggestions are one's I've been itching to try myself, maybe I'll run them by my face before passing them on to my dad. You know, gotta make sure they're up to snuff :thumbup1:

As a dad (and I am sure I speak for all dads?!) I think you are putting together one heck of a fathers day gift!

Now tuck some new y fronts and a pair of wool socks in the package and you are good!

Not sure what a y-front is, but as a dad of three, I'd be quite tickled to get a gift like that from any of mine. And about those wool socks... Smartwool brand rock my world. One of the best priced places to get them is Campmor.com

(God, I love my Smartwool socks! Medium hikers FTW!)

Good work on the Father's Day Gift..

Look into a TOBS Rose scented cream (Avacado is a love or hate as you said)

1+ for the TOBS Rose. I have a sample and the scent is amazing. I look for excuses to go to the bathroom just so I can smell it. It's nice and moisturizing too. Rose is definitely on my potential candidate list for my dad, and probably what I'll buy after I deplete all my samples. I've considered Nancy Boy as well, but I don't think he'll be too keen on shaving with a cream that has a big blue flower on the front... I'm still anxious to try it though. So many creams, such little time...

Top Bottom