What's new

Will G #7 shave soap

Gents, I got this soap and balm from a recent trade. I have been curious about this line of economically priced products for some time. I had my first shave with this soap this a.m.

I noticed that the soap did not lather as quickly or profusely as Floris or Saint Charles. It took some work and I finally got it to lather. When I applied it to my face it was not as dense as other shave soaps. As I shaved I noticed that the lather dried quickly. Lubrication was good. The soap rinsed off with no residue noted. The scent was very nice.

I can honestly say that I am not enamored by this shave soap although I do like the scent. I will not be buying this soap in the near future.

I used the shave balm and I found it to be rather thick and mediocre. Again, nothing special. I will stick with Harris.

Austin said:
Gents, I got this soap and balm from a recent trade. I have been curious about this line of economically priced products for some time. I had my first shave with this soap this a.m.

I noticed that the soap did not lather as quickly or profusely as Floris or Saint Charles. It took some work and I finally got it to lather. When I applied it to my face it was not as dense as other shave soaps. As I shaved I noticed that the lather dried quickly. Lubrication was good. The soap rinsed off with no residue noted. The scent was very nice.

I can honestly say that I am not enamored by this shave soap although I do like the scent. I will not be buying this soap in the near future.

I used the shave balm and I found it to be rather thick and mediocre. Again, nothing special. I will stick with Harris.

Hmmm.... strange.... was this is #7 in shea or glycerin? Very Strange...... My soap acts/performs totally different, and makes an incredibly thick, dense lather. Maybe quality control issues? Troubling indeed.

If yours is Shea Butter, I'd almost be interested in swapping, and see if you get similar results.

joel said:
Hmmm.... strange.... was this is #7 in shea or glycerin? Very Strange...... My soap acts/performs totally different, and makes an incredibly thick, dense lather. Maybe quality control issues? Troubling indeed.

If yours is Shea Butter, I'd almost be interested in swapping, and see if you get similar results.

Joel, the packaging on mine reads Shea Glycerin Shaving Soap blend #7. I remember reading your review and you got opposite results. Strange indeed.

Uh oh, cracks in the Will G. facade! He probably saw a huge uptick in volume after Joel's review, took all the money and headed to Tijuana to spend his gains on illicit activities, thereby leaving his soap operation to a bunch of useless flunkies. Harris, et al. can breath a huge sigh of relief. :crazy: :ihih:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My experience with Will G.'s #7 is the exact opposite of Austin's. I am not particularly enamored of the scent, but that lather is amazing. I prefer creams to soaps by a long shot, but this is one of the few that I really enjoy using. The two best soaps I've tried are still the Harris and the T&H, but the WG works better for me than any soap from Taylor or Trumper. When I want to go ultra-close, this is what I reach for.

Amusing. Shea butter based soaps are not usually great latherers, that is unless there is very little shea butter incorporated. They are usually slick and they offer skin softening and conditioning, even after rinsing the soap off.
After reading about Will G's products from all the West Coasters, at first I thought it might be a water issue. Then I remembered Johny Carson's analysis of the continental topography. Specifically, the country's elevation starts an almost imperceptible downward slope west of the Mississippi that increases in slope as you head further west, thereby accounting for all of the nuts rolling out to the west coast!:lol:
Exception made for New Jersey... A State of Mind

ouch said:
My experience with Will G.'s #7 is the exact opposite of Austin's. I am not particularly enamored of the scent, but that lather is amazing. I prefer creams to soaps by a long shot, but this is one of the few that I really enjoy using. The two best soaps I've tried are still the Harris and the T&H, but the WG works better for me than any soap from Taylor or Trumper. When I want to go ultra-close, this is what I reach for.

I'm with you, Will G soap is super easy to lather and is really great. i get a nice lather out of it. I've only tried my shea's, haven't tried the emerald yet but the shea is outstanding.

your review kind of seems like my experiences with QED soap.

As an Peoples Republic of NJ resident, and a WillG user, I will say the soap is certainly non-standard in its lathering.

I believe I initially called it's lathering performance "non-linear". For me, the lather comes on fast without warning. I also believe it needs more water than most soaps. Performance wise, it's still a winner. Does it explode, lather wise, like a DR Harris soap?, no. But it is very very good. Its been in my weekly rotation for some time now. I'm on my second round of the shea.

I have an extra round of "vintage" lime-ginger if anyone wants to compare/try out, in their own state, of course.:smile:

Top Bottom